Monday 30 March 2015

Easter Recipes - sweet, savoury and salt dough

Easter is almost upon us yet again.  In the Christian calender it is the time of year for sorrow, love and celebration.  However this is a food blog so I bring you hot cross buns, chocolate and cuteness. 

Probably one of my favourite Easter foods is Hot Cross Buns.  They smell so good when out of the oven with the spicy sticky glaze and chewy crosses.  I make them every year:

A lot of Easter food is sweet.  So much sugar!  For a savoury alternative, these crackers and cheese chicks are a cute snack.

 And then there is an Easter egg pizza for a savoury dinner.

But you can't avoid the sweet foods.  These Easter egg nests are an easy sweet treat to make with kids.

A couple of years ago I found some Easter egg chocolate moulds.  After all Easter is a time for gift giving and chocolate so why not make your own chocolate gifts.  I have dabbled in making fillings for chocolates.  Here are the chocolates I have made (all gluten free and vegan).

If you find filling in chocolates is too much work, a quick and fun alternative is to make these Easter egg chicks. with Creme Eggs  They make great gifts.

Or you can have fun and really add even more sweetness to Creme Eggs by making them into Easter Scotch Eggs.

Are you over chicks and eggs at Easter?   Try these easy chocolate carrots.  (OK they were a little challenging but not too hard!)

Easter Sunday lunch is the time for showstopper desserts.  With chocolate of course.  This Creme Egg Chocolate Drizzle Cake ticks all the boxes.

An easier cake to make is this no bake Easter Caramel and Malteser Fridge Cake.  I was able to make it in a holiday house with minimal equipment and with the Easter eggs in the middle it is bound to impress. 

Then there are the leftover Easter eggs after all the celebrations are over.  If you want to make them even more decadent then I could recommend this delicious Leftover Easter Egg Slice.

Or you can put your leftover Easter eggs into these dulce de leche choc chip cookies.

Then you can hide your Easter eggs and display them too in these Marzipan Easter egg cupcakes.

And if you want some cute decorations or gifts that are non-edible, these Salt dough easter eggs are fun to make.

More Easter recipe ideas:
Also see my Pinterest Easter Food and Craft Board and more Easter recipe quicklinks 

14 comments:

  1. What a fantastic collection! I still love that Easter egg pizza and will definitely have to make that (for myself, not the kids)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - I hope you make the pizza and show the kids just so they see you are the one eating the fun food :-)

      Delete
  2. Easter has crept up on me this year, I suspect in part due to being away. I fear I will not be doing as much baking as usual in advance, but at least the 4 day weekend provides lots of kitchen time! I love your round up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - good luck with your easter baking - I haven't managed to get much done in advance - just some hot cross buns yesterday but I have plans!

      Delete
  3. So many Easter recipes! I'm going to make some hot cross buns today. I do love the look of your egg nests - might make those! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - was sorry to hear your hot cross buns went awry - I made some yesterday too and was pleased with them esp as I was rushing it a bit. But will make another batch on Good Friday and hopefully have a bit more time for them

      Delete
  4. Those chick cheese crackers are really cute! I think I like those the best, plus they made me crave cheese and crackers :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - they are really cute - wish I always had the energy to prepare my crackers that way

      Delete
  5. That's a pretty impressive Easter collection! I particularly love the Easter Pizza! Oh..... and the salt dough eggs are just so cute too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - there are so many fun ways to copy easter eggs - and I was proud of these two ideas because they are not sugar filled - hard to find non-sweet ideas esp as I am not keen on real eggs

      Delete
  6. Your crackers and cheese chicks are adorable. I have exactly the same chocolate mould as you and made some chocolates - they will pop up on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - my chocolate moulds have been sadly neglected but easter gets me twitching to use them - doesn't mean I will though :-)

      Delete
  7. Wow! You are a domestic goddess! Look at all of those beautiful easter treats. I love the easter egg nests, and your pizza looks so fun! The molds you found for the chocolate are so pretty - I've never seen any other than egg-shaped. I hope you are having a wonderful easter weekend =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)