Friday 18 April 2014

Sourdough hot cross buns, playdough and some firsts

Another Good Friday.  Another batch of hot cross buns (HCBs).  I have been making them every year since I started this blog.  I don't get too excited by Easter eggs but I could live on hot cross buns.  All year round.  Homemade of course.  This year I have been excited to be able to use my sourdough starter.  The HCBs take longer but they taste A-Maz-Ing!

I have made two batches of hot cross buns this year.  I haven't actually followed a sourdough bread recipe since making my starter mid-last year.  I can't get my head around them.  Intuition is so much easier.  So I was wary about finding a sourdough hot cross bun recipe.  I thought I needed a practice run in case it all went terribly wrong.


I turned to my sourdough guru, Brydie at City Hippy Farm Girl, and then swapped notes with my mum who is into Dan Lepard right now.  I added my usual HCB crosses and glaze.  By the time I had noted what I had done the first time, I felt I could claim the recipe as my own. 

The first batch was started at 9am and out of the oven at about 7pm.  I was very pleased with it.  My mum tasted the HCBs and declared them to be the best I had ever made.  I agree.  They were soft and fluffy, spicy with sweet sticky chewy crosses. 

The second batch was made last night in readiness for Good Friday.  I started at 4pm, left them for 4 hours before the fold and stretch, left them in the fridge overnight, and finally had them ready to eat at midday.  The dough was so soft that it seemed almost cake-like rather than that tough dough that I usually bash about.  It also didn't seem to rise as much as usual.  I guess it is weighed down by butter and egg.

I have a feeling they would be ok at room temperature overnight (based on a tester bun and previous sourdough breads) but would need to check to be certain.  I also believe that this recipe could be veganised easily with a chia seed egg and non-dairy milk and margarine.  (This is based on making a vegan version of my favourite recipe.)  I was able to confirm that it is best to line the tin with baking paper to stop them sticking.

There is much that is counter-intuitive in this recipe.  Making crosses without any sugar seems wrong but they are just lovely once covered in sticky glaze.  The glaze seems too much for the buns but if you keep brushing it on, you will use it all.

Sourdough baking is so forgiving of a ride to the park or a favourite television show (Janet King).  However this recipe does need a bit of attention at the start.  It is worth it.  The results were every bit as good as the first batch.

Sylvia loves the thick chewy sticky crosses.  She rips off the crosses and leaves the buns.  Which does not make me happy.  I love the crosses too.  At least she is as excited by HCBs as I am and had eaten some of the buns.  Hot cross buns have always been a part of my Good Friday.  It is usually a quiet day at home for us.  There is something solemn about the day that prohibits going out and having fun.

Instead we stayed home and had fun.  In a quiet way.  Once the hot cross buns were made, we made salt dough easter eggs and playdough.  We read Hurrah for the Circus by Enid Blyton.  I made Easter chick crackers.  We even discovered camelia flowers in the garden.  Then Sylvia started to turn over the tub of mint to find worms.  My favourite comment of the day was when she said to me, "You go in and clean up the playdough.  I will look at worms."

In fact, Sylvia has had quite a few firsts lately.  It makes me feel like she is growing up quickly.  I guess school does that to a child.  Here is a list of recent firsts:
  • being on school holidays
  • swimming without a flotation aid and keeping her head about water
  • riding her (new) bike with me riding alongside
  • going to the cinema with a group of friends
  • searching for worms in the garden by herself
  • reading Where is the Green Sheep by herself (almost).
  • making salt dough shapes

Sylvia also believes that Hot Cross Buns are square.  Perhaps it is because I like to make them snuggled together with a cross that joins them together.  I know my HCBs aren't as round and pretty as some but I am very partial to these rustic buns.

I am sending these hot cross buns to Susan for YeastSpotting, the regular round up of all things yeasty online.

Previous Hot Cross Buns on Green Gourmet Giraffe:

Sourdough Hot Cross Buns
Original recipe by Green Gourmet Giraffe, inspired by City Hippy Farm Girl and Dan Lepard 
Makes 16 to 20 buns

Buns:
400g starter (100% hydration)
550g unbleached flour
275g mixed fruit
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
50g sugar
250ml milk (I used soy milk)
100g butter, room temperature (I used margarine)
1 egg
2 tsp salt

Crosses:
1 cup  plain flour
1/2 to 1 cup water

Glaze:
1/2 cup water
1/4 cupcastor sugar
1 tsp mixed spice

Mix all the buns ingredients except the salt.  Cover and rest for 30 minutes.  Mix in the salt - the dough will be quite stiff.  Cover and stand another 30 minutes to 2 hours.


Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for 15 seconds and stand covered for 10 minutes.  Knead for 15 seconds and rest 10 minutes.  Knead for 15 seconds and rest for 1 to 4 hours.  (Use a floured board if required.  If the dough comes together nicely you could add a little oil to the board.)

Stretch and fold (or knead for 15 seconds).  Cover and leave for 1 to 2 hours.  Tip the dough onto a lightly floured (or oiled) board and cut into 16 to 20 balls with a sharp knife.  (When I tried 15 buns they were a little big.)  Roll each piece into balls and place in a lined 13 x 9 inch baking tray.


Cover and set aside to rise for 1 to 3 hours until risen.  At this point you can leave them in the fridge overnight.  I think you could also leave them at room temperature but need more experimenting on this.  If you leave them overnight you will need an hour or two for them to come to room temperature the next morning.


About half an hour before you are ready to bake the buns, preheat the oven to 220 C.  When the buns are ready to go into the oven make the crosses by mixing flour and water into a thick paste.  I used about 1 cup of flour and 3/4 cup of water but it changes every time.  I like a thick cross so if you want neat thin ones you may need less flour and water than me.

To pipe the crosses I spoon the mixture into a ziplock bag, seal it and snip a tiny corner.  Then I pipe lengthways and then crossways over all the buns. 

Bake bun for 20-40 minutes (Brydie at City Hippy Farm Girl said 20-25 minutes.  I did 40 for my first batch but did just shy of this for the second batch and it could have been in a little less.  My oven is slower than most.)  They are ready when golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.  They will look quite dull until glazed.


About 5 minutes before the buns are ready to come out of the oven, mix all the glaze ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.  Simmer for 5 minutes without stirring.  When the buns are out of the oven, turn onto a wire rack with the crosses facing upwards.  Place an old teatowel either on the rack before placing the buns or on the surface under the rack.  It will get messy with the glaze.

Brush glaze over the buns.  It seems like too much but just keep brushing over and over until all the glaze is used up.  (Do not just tip over the buns - it will just pool under the buns.)  Wait at least an hour before eating - if you can wait that long.  Reheat for 10 - 15 minutes at 180 C (I find I do 15 minutes but my oven is not over powerful).

On the Stereo:
Love: The Beatles

28 comments:

  1. Wow they look amazing. I bet the sourdough gives them a wonderful flavour. I miss baking my own. I've yet to attempt some gluten free versions. Bready things are always the hardest to make GF.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - bread is hard to do GF - the sourdough was more noticeable in giving a wonderful texture - good luck with finding some time to experiment with GF hot cross buns

      Delete
  2. It's clear that a lot of love went into those light, crisp, sweet and utterly inviting buns. Hadn't thought of doing them in sourdough form x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deena - that is a lovely description - I have dreamt of doing sourdough hot cross buns for years so was pleased to finally do it

      Delete
  3. Now I really want a hot cross bun! I haven't found any here in Geneve, let alone vegan ones, and I don't want to buy a bunch of baking ingredients since I'm only here a month :( Oh well.
    Congratulations to Sylvia on all those big steps! We used to make salt dough when we were little too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma - how strange that there are none to be found in Geneva - I thought it wouldn't be so hard because I thought there would be lots of foreign diplomats there with needs for HCBs. Maybe you will just need some sticky buns when you get home and ice some crosses on them

      Delete
  4. I always love to see new HCB recipes! Although quite time consuming they sound well worth it from your description. They look great all "snuggled" together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel - they are worth the time - though I should say it doesn't take long, you just have to wait a long time and be available at the start of the process.

      Delete
  5. These look incredible! My Sylvia is the opposite- she will only eat the part of the bun without the cross :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - could we get our Sylvias together for eating hot cross buns :-)

      Delete
  6. These do look fab and I'm with Sylvia, I used to always tear off the crosses and eat those :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veganopoulous - you will sympathise with sylvia then that she refused to eat any of my mum's HCBs because she could not pull the cross off :-)

      Delete
  7. Your buns look amazing and they seem easy to veganise! I never made hot cross bubs as we obviously never had that tradition here, but there's a special bun that is made for reformation day. Anyway I am saving the recipe for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mihl - I agree that the recipe should easily translate to vegan - I have successfully veganised the dried yeast version of the recipe - and the sourdough recipe I started with did not use eggs but my mum encouraged me as this is the way she usually does it. I only recently heard some German people at a farmers market asking what hot cross buns are and was quite surprised they hadn't heard of them.

      Delete
  8. It looks like your hot cross buns came out very well! I do wish I could organise myself to make some - every year I intend to, and every year I do not. Coles brand are vegan which I think is part of the problem (although I am grateful to them that they are). Perhaps I need to try at another time of year as I too think I'd like them year round.

    Sylvia's play dough / worm comment made me laugh, and her list of firsts is very impressive. And, I eat the crosses first too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - yes the Hot Cross Buns were a success. I think I made them sporadically over many years but recently had started to make them every year - perhaps one day the time will be right for you to bake hot cross buns. Sylvia is always good for reminding me of the simple pleasures in life

      Delete
  9. I've actually never made hot cross buns. or eaten them. But yours look so fluffy and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - I can't encourage you enough to try them (though they would not fit well with the Boy's Greek orthodox dietary restrictions when they have easter on the same weekend :-)

      Delete
  10. It just never occured to me to make Sourdough Hot Cross Buns. They must be amazing They sure do look light and fluffy.

    Sylvia is certainly coming into her own. Relish every moment, Johanna. The time flies by ever so quickly:)

    Thank you so much for sharing your recipe with us, you too are coming into your own:)

    Wishing You and Yours a Joyous and Happy Easter, Johanna...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - highly recommend sourdough hot cross buns even if you buy them rather than make them - and thank you for the kind comments about sylvia and me - it is scary how fast the time goes - so lovely to watch her grow but the precious moments don't last long

      Delete
  11. Delicious looking buns! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your HCB look amazing! I adore Janet King - so sorry it is over. I hope they do another series. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - I am sorry Janet King is over - I thought it a really great drama - a second series would be great as I think it has built so much on Crownies that hopefully they are going from strength to strength

      Delete
  13. Just love love love the idea of you using sourdough starter for the HCBs. The results look fabulous. I keep thinking I should experiment more with my rye sourdough as I can use it with any type of flour. Hope you've been having a lovely Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Choclette - I have great intentions to experiment with my sourdough too but I am not sure the rest of the household would welcome it and I still feel a bit unsure about following sourdough recipes but this was a good experience in using another recipe. Have you done a sourdough chocolate bread yet?

      Delete
  14. I always look forward to hot cross buns because I have chocolate every day. These look great. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I haven't thought of HCBs that way but maybe it is why I love them so much - I try not to eat them until close to easter so they remain special - whereas many easter eggs are just pricier and poorer quality than most of the chocolate I eat regularly

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)