Advice for new bloggers
- Food Blog Alliance - if you have a question, this is an excellent place to look for an answer
- Green Gourmet Giraffe (me) - My Top Ten Tips for Food Bloggers
- Dine and Dish - Tips for the Aspiring Blogger
- Choosing Raw - My Ten Top Tips for New Bloggers
- Sarah's Cucina Bella - Advice for New Bloggers (round up of her advice posts)
- How to start a blog - a blog about starting a blog!
- The write stuff (advice from a journalist and a blogger) - The Kitchen Maid
- Will write for food - Dianne Jacob
- How to blog by Tony Pierce - busblog (a good read with some good inspiration even if some needs to be taken with a pinch of salt)
- How to get traffic for your blog - Seth Godin
- Blogging tips: Blogger.Ed
- The beginner's guide to successful blogging - first site guide
- Australian Copyright Council info sheet on recipes: legal protection (February 2012)
- Defamation, copyright and blogging in Australia - Not Quite Nigella
- My latest discussion on copyright (with useful comments)
- Law Geek Down Under - Law for Food Bloggers
- Seth Godin - Simple Thoughts about Fair Use
- The Ultimate Guide to Copyright for Students - Who is Hosting
- Justcook NYC - Recipe writing cheat sheet
- Urban Vegan - Overused food writing terms
- Will Write for Food - 7 Most common recipe writing errors
- 5 keys to writing excellent blog posts - Problogger
- Before you hit publish - V3 integrated marketing
- My guide to writing totally awesome blog posts every single time - MackCollier.com
- Paying attention to your archival posts - Problogger
- Are you using blog images legally - skinnedcartree.com
Useful links with comment discussion about the difference between Australian and American ingredients:
- James and Matt on Chilli powder in American recipes
- In the Mood for Noodles on Australian cooking conversions
- More useful cooking conversion info on my blog at Kitchen Notes and Baking Basics
- Food Blog Search - a search engine that just searches blogs
Veg Blog Search – a search engine that only searches vegetarian blogs
- Foodie Blog Roll – listing of over 1000 other food blogs
Blog event listings
- Pinterest - a visual pinboard of images from pages you like (eg food photos) that you can organise into pin boards. (See my post on pinterest, delicious and eat your books). Louise has given a link to Remove "Picked for you" pins from Pinterest (after changes to Pinterest feeds in 2015).
- Get your site's Pinterest Pin Count
- Delicious - a great site where you can tag and organise your bookmarks
- Since Google Reader closed in July 2013, I have stopped using a blog reader and reverted to my sidebar blogroll. See my post: Google Reader is closing... and I am not sure I am upset for more information and readers suggestions of blog readers.
- Cookbook Recipe Database - a free site that has indexed cookbooks
- Eat Your Books - this site is gradually indexing cookbooks (and some blogs) so if you sign up (for a nominal fee) you can choose the books you own and search your cookbooks by ingredient and other categories. (See my post on pinterest, delicious and eat your books)
- Good Reads - has a cookbook genre with reviews and recommendations.
There are heaps of posts giving advice on photography. Here are a few that I have found useful:
- 6 Bittersweets - My Take on Food Styling and Photography (a lot of reading including good basic info about exposure, styling and lots of links)
- Food Gawker - Photography Tips
- Simply Cooked - Light box for staging food photography - step by step
- The Well Seasoned Cook - Tabletop Photography Tips for Green Beginners
- Mowie and Meeta - 41 food photography tips (quick notes from Blogger Connect event)
- Vegan Yum Yum - Food Photography for Bloggers
- Kalyn Denny at BlogHer - Helpful food photography tips from fellow bloggers
- Serious eats - Guide to Food Photography (helpful explanation of white balance)
- I Eat Therefore I Am - Food Photography Tutorial with Ewen Bell - Simple Tips to Dramatically Improve Your Photos
- Digital Photography School - 10 tips to improve your photography
- Must check out the Image Map Generator that Louise uses.
- Google Analytics - free statistics software (if you are happy to share your data with Google). It allows you to collect statistics over time. (See How to Use Google Analytics at Social Media Examiner)
- StatCounter – statistics software - free if you just want to see stats for the last few days but costs to see stats in more detail.
- Technorati – I used to find out who was linking to my blog through Technorati but it changed and I found it harder to find info. I have also used Google Alerts s but it hasn't seemed so useful for this.
- Site Meter - an audience tracking tool - I have only seen it recommended but have not looked at it myself.
- Blogger and Wordpress also have blog statistics information as part of a blog account.
- Canva - a graphic design site that will help you arrange photos in a collage or do lots of interesting graphics and texts on your images (free service as far as I can see but sign up required)
- Shabby blogs backgrounds - free backgrounds- I used this until recently but have been warned off them due to malware. Am on the lookout for other backgrounds I really like.
- picmonkey - I use this a lot for collages. It also can be used to edit photos. It is free with no sign up required for a limited package or you can pay for more sophisticated design.
- Photosnack - I haven't used it but have seen Jac at Tinned Tomatoes using it for slideshows
Technical stuff like html and Blogger
- Advice on adding Anchors (which are links within a post) - on my blog
- Blogger Tips and Tricks for those using Blogger
- Where's the beef - advice on Blogger back up
- Tinned Tomatoes - how to add code to a post as text
- Rachel Cotterill - How to create a favicon
- Bite Sized Thoughts - How to create a drop down menu in Blogger
- My reflections on installing drop down menus
- html tutorial - w3schools.com
- How to easily create tables in Blogger using MS Word - MyBloggerLab
- HTML table generator - tables generator
- How to add printable recipes in Blogger - Confessions of an overworked mom
- What to do when your content is lifted - Food Blog Alliance
- Sample Copyright Complaint Steps (how to file a DMCA notice) - Host Gator
- Whois.net - a place to find who is stealing your content
- The Ultimate DMCA Guilde for Students - Who is Hosting
NOTE: While collecting links for this post, I found a useful list of resources at the Hungry Australian.
Update - I am adding a few new links here as I see them but I just saw the 150 links on How to be a Food Blogger by Recipe Girl - a great resource.