Friday 29 March 2013

Easter egg pizza and Easter quicklinks

Good Friday is a day for me to stay home and bake.  Today has been no exception.  It has been lovely.  I have made Easter eggs, hot cross buns and Easter egg pizza.  The idea for Easter egg pizza was planted by Katie some years back.  I finally had a go.  It was a great way to have lots of fun and also combat the sugar overload that comes at this time of year.

If I had been more organised I might have done it differently.  As it was I was pleased with what I did managed to do for decoration.  I made my favourite fast track pizza dough and a tomato sauce that I recently discovered in the freezer.  Most of the decorations were made of capsicum and cheese.  I had a little star cookie cutter that was most useful and I used scissors to cut circles.  I also had thin strips of 3 colours of capsicum.
.
I would have loved cherry tomatoes, spinach and purple cauliflower or carrot for more decorations.  Most of all I must find myself a small hole cutter.  I asked E for ideas and he suggested a thimble.  Miraculously (given my dislike of sewing) I have one.  It was a most useful idea for cutting cheese dots.  I did find that they had to be well spaced or they ran into one another.

Here is my uncooked pizza.  Sylvia and I were very excited.  In fact after I showed Sylvia, she asked to see it again.   Once it was cooked she ate it without taking bits off.  Usually she will only have cheese on her pizza but today she ate the capsicum too.  I also liked that I could have a piece with less cheese because of the way the decorations were spaced.  Perhaps decorations might be part of our regular pizzas.  Though it did take a lot longer so she was in bed later than usual.

I made a second pizza that was less successful.  I think the zig zag strips of capsicum worked better than the straight ones and the cheese was too close together.  I also made a dessert pizza but I will write about that when I post about my cute Easter eggs and the hot cross bun disaster.

I am sending the pizza to both Catherine of Cates Cates for her Anyone Can Cook Vegetarian Food event, focusing on Easter Egg Inspirations this month, and to Michelle of Utterly Scrummy Food for Families for her Easy Easter Baking event.

Easter Quicklinks

Below I have listed more ideas for Easter cooking and crafts.  You can also see more Easter baking and cooking ideas that I listed last Easter.

Easter food ideas
Cheese and cracker chicks - Meet the Dubiens
Chocolate almond butter eggs - Aida Mollencamp
Coconut macaroon easter egg nests - Love Swah
Coconut nest cupcakes - Martha Stewart
Easter bunny cupcakes - taste.com.au
Easter egg cupcakes - Elizabeth's Kitchen
Easter egg pizzas - Hungry Happenings and Kathie Cooks
Hazelnut chocolate nests - Karen Martini
Hot cross chocolate muffins - Jeremy and Jane Strode
How to make chocolate butterflies - Everything old
Krispy easter eggs - Pioneer Woman
Simnel bread pudding - Dan Lepard
Spiced buttered honey hot cross buns - Not Quite Nigella

Easter craft ideas

10 egg decorating ideas - Red Ted Art Blog
Easter egg suncatcher and other easter ideas - Craftulate
Easter egg washi tape craft - e-how Mom
Egg carton chicken egg cups - Red Ted Art Blog
Handpring chicks - Meet the Dubiens
Paper plate baby chick - Simple as That
Paper plate chicks - Meet the Dubiens

Wish you a Happy Easter and happy holiday!

19 comments:

  1. Johanna! That is absolutely marvellous! March totally got away from me, and I didn't even manage to enter anything for my own challenge, but this is absolutely brilliant and puts anything I was contemplating to shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine - I am sure you would come up with something marvellous if you had the time and energy

      Delete
  2. Delicious looking pizza. I love the extra detail with cutting the peppers into stars. Really special. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - Sylvia particularly loved the stars - thanks for the inspiration on this one!

      Delete
  3. That pizza is fantastic :) And I share your views of Good Friday being a baking day, although I did swap it for today. It's been lovely here too. I only wish I had thought to do a pizza - next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - Glad you had a good day of easter baking - I think I want to make easter egg pizza every easter now!

      Delete
  4. What a great idea for getting little people to eat their veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - am definitely not going to wait til next easter to try this sort of decoration again (but it will be found not ovoid!)

      Delete
  5. The huge easter egg pizza is such a cute idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - I have wanted to try it for years - it is brilliant idea isn't it (which I can say because it is not mine)

      Delete
  6. Love the pizza, great idea! My Sylvia would love making that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I can imagine all sorts of decorations - hope you try some with your sylvia

      Delete
  7. What a crafty way to get Sylvia to eat her veggies. :) I think your pizza egg is uber cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet - it was crafty - so strange how presentation can help Sylvia eat something she would normally shun

      Delete
  8. Happy Easter!!
    What a great idea!! I will have to make something like this with my little ones... so much better than the pizza I just made them :0! I joined the blog hop so your pizza pic is now on my site too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gourmet Getaways - I really should learn about putting a blog hop on my blog - sometimes I am very technically challenged :-( hope your little ones enjoy a decorated pizza

      Delete
  9. I love the way you've decorated your Easter egg pizza - it's so pretty and what a good way to get veggies into Sylvia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline - sylvia is a great fan of pretty food - need to get into food styling to get her to eat more food perhaps :-)

      Delete
  10. what a cute pizza!!!! i love your creativity in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)