Thursday 30 October 2014

Gnocchi with Mexican Corn

Tonight Sylvia started reading a chapter book in bed.  It wasn't planned.  She just happened to find a crochet blanket down the side of her bed.  Under it was The Folk of the Faraway Tree.  I came into her room and found her reading the book and telling me that I don't need to read to her any more.  Life can be like that.  Unexpected.  Yet obvious when it happens.  Like this gnocchi dish I made this week.

I happened to come across the interesting pasta salads at Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice.  In particular the Mexican Street Corn Salad took my interest.  It was something fun to make with the corn in the fridge.  And I had yoghurt, the lime, the avocado and some tofu feta.  I wanted it less creamy, less spicy and to use the gnocchi I had in the pantry.  Mine looked like a distant cousin of the Cinnamon Spice and Everything Nice salad.

In fact it didn't look like a salad at all.  Despite my good intentions.  In fact I got fixated on making the corn for some Stuff and Stand taco shells that had been too surprising to pass up in the supermarket.  They were just right for stuffing with lots of interesting food.  I had the lettuce and refried beans for colour.  Then I remembered the pasta and was unsure. 

I threw in the pasta with the corn and left the taco shells until the following night.  In my imagination they had become massive taco bowls.  A quick look reminded me they were not that big.  Pretty but never made to hold a meal!  They were also unexpectedly soft.  A nice little addition to the meal but not the star that I had expected.

I am sure the gnocchi and corn would be satisfying on their own.  However I highly recommend serving it with the lettuce, refried beans and yoghurt.  It adds colour, texture and nutrition.  This meal could be made in a dairy loving kitchen with Greek yoghurt, parmesan and feta.  Or it could be made vegan with vegan gnocchi, vegan yoghurt, nutritional yeast and tofu feta.  Mine was a bit of both, according to availability and whim.

I am sending this pasta to Rachel Cotterill who is hosting Jac's Pasta Please event this month with the theme of Fusion pasta dishes.  I love the theme and am pleased to be part of the event, albeit a little late (thanks Rachel).

More fusion pasta dishes at Green Gourmet Giraffe:

Gnocchi with Mexican Corn
An original recipe by Green Gourmet Giraffe
Serves 4

3-4 tbsp olive oil, divided
kernels of 3 cobs of corn
500g packaged gnocchi
2 spring onions, sliced
1 handful parsley (or fresh coriander), finely chopped
1 tbsp hot sauce (I used Franks)
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste 
1-2 pinches of chilli powder
1 avocado, diced
1/4 cup tofu feta or feta
1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes or parmesan
juice of 1-2 limes
2 dessertspoons plain yoghurt

To serve:
Refried beans
Lettuce
Plain yoghurt

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high  heat in a large frypan and fry for a few minutes or until the corn until cooked.  (Alternatively you could BBQ or roast the corn if you had time.)  Remove cooked corn from frypan and set aside.

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in the frypan.  Fry gnocchi for about 5 minutes or until cooked and soft with some crispy edges from frying.  Add more oil if needed.  Return corn to frypan with spring onions, parsley, hot sauce, smoked paprika, salt and chilli powder.  Stir for a minute or so to heat through.  Stir in remaining ingredients and remove from heat.  Check seasoning.

Serve gnocchi with refried beans, lettuce and extra yoghurt.

On the stereo:
Live Concert Recordings: The Dead: Dec 30 and New Year's Eve Oakland CA. (The Grateful Dead)

23 comments:

  1. What a poignant moment with Sylvia - I am delighted for her and her ability to now read books solo, but imagine it does feel a bit odd having those milestones reached. I have no doubt she'll still want you to read the odd chapter at times though :)

    This Mexican style gnocchi has me intrigued and I think I would really like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - Sylvia still loves to be read to (which I love doing) but it is also lovely to watch her reading develop

      Delete
  2. I shouldn't read such things when really hungry (at 1:30am, gahhh!) I bought that same tofu feta, the label said 'use within 3 days of opening'. I figured I'd be okay at five days but it was covered in mould!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veganopoulous - thanks for the advice on the tofetta - I made sure to use the rest of it in a potato salad on Friday but did have to throw out some of the salad today after so much food in the house yesterday - but feel I used most of it at least

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness I want this dish to be right in front of me right now! I love gnocchi and this recipe sounds heavenly! Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, that's fantastic news about Sylvia! Reading on your own is a big step.
    I love the look of this dish. I especially enjoy all the different components to Mexican meals and this recipe really piles them on. I definitely see the gnocchi working here, even if it is rather different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma - it is a big step to start reading on your own and yet it also feels like a natural progression in her learning to read - I guess is reassuring to see her progressing. And yes I love mexican too and gnocchi seemed just right here.

      Delete
  5. OMG, I love those Enid Blyton books so much. :) What a wonderful imagination they gave me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Snoskred - I read heaps of Enid Blyton as a child - they still come back to me at times

      Delete
  6. This looks really fun! I would never have thought to combine gnocchi and Mexican flavours in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a gorgeous salad - such lovely flavours. Isn't Sylvia growing up fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love gnocchi and it is my go to comfort food. This recipe looks really tasty so am going to have a go for lunch today. Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks delicious, so colourful and fresh. I used to love Enid Blyton and the magic faraway tree. I've heard they are going to make it into a film, but I think it should be left alone. Not sure a film could ever do it justice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - a film! Argh! I am already upset enough that the modern books have changed the names and made Dame Slap into Dame Snap (and this resulted in Sylvia and a friend arguing over names recently because they read different versions)

      Delete
  10. As a big fan of both corn and gnocchi this recipe immediately appealed to me! Ahhh they grow up so quickly don't they!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sylvia is reading on her own??? Oh my word, Johanna, she sure has grown. Are you okay:) I still remember the first time my daughter declared her reading independence. I use to check on her all the time to be sure she was enjoying reading on her own. (more like checking children when they brush their own teeth for the first months or years, lol)

    I've been on a roasted corn cook lately. I found one I like at Trader Joe's. I can definitely see adding it to your Gnocchi dish. I've actually been serving it with Jalapeño Jelly which I also think may go just fine in this dish. Just a dab of course:)

    Thanks for sharing, Johanna...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - she has grown but I know what you mean about checking on her - I find it amazing to watch her reading - it still seems something she needs a lot of concentration for which is very sweet. I love roasted corn but any corn will do me - very excited it is coming into season here as the fresh stuff is so good. But not sure about jalopeno jelly - sounds a bit spicy

      Delete
  12. That dinner looks so yummy. I do love gnocchi. I remember reading those Enid Blyton books and how much I loved them. I was also able to read them for myself! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I remember reading the Enid Blyton books myself and feeling very grown up too

      Delete
  13. Congratulations Johanna, I’m so happy to know that she is reading independently, she’s clearly growing up and I hope sometimes she will ask you to read random books! You are a wonderful mum, you inspire her! :) I’m a gnocchi addict, but I haven’t tried this ‘taco’ version before! Goodness, that looks a really delicious and hearty salad - yum, I would love some of the vegan feta on it! Now I need to get some gnocchi and put some hot chili, and all of that toppings…

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun sounding salad! I've never thought of doing much with gnocchi, but I like the sound of this better than making it as pasta =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hehe its so sweet when children can finally read their own chapter books!
    Love the sound of this meal - and i love it when things just seem to fall together perfectly too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)