Monday 7 January 2013

Rapid Refried Beans for Tacos

It seems quite right that tonight I have an easy recipe.  I made it just before New Year's Eve when I was feeling ill but wanted some vegetables.  We had taco shells in the pantry and I needed just part of a tin of beans for our traditional New Years's Eve of Haggis Nachos and the Edinburgh Tattoo on the telly.  (Actually for a change we were planning to go to a quiet party but we were poorly.)  I remembered a recipe for Rapid Refried Beans that I had eaten many years ago.  It was quick and healthy.

E helped me chop up the vegies and dinner was done in under 30 minutes.  That is fast work in our house.  By then I was tired and ready for food.  We should have tacos more often.  So quick and yummy.

Tonight was a dinner that required little energy too.  I foolishly decided to head to Northland shopping centre to beat the heat and do a wee bit of shopping this afternoon.  On the way home someone ahead braked hard, someone behind didn't stop in time and banged into the back of my car and pushed me into the car in front.  It was just what I don't need right now.  (Though I am not sure when anyone needs a car accident.)  Fortunately Sylvia and I walked away unharmed, albeit slightly shaken by the bang.

I am still trying to get my house into shape after Christmas and our Scotland trip.  The Christmas tree has been put out but I am still gathering all our Christmas stuff into storage.  The one good thing about not having a car right now is that I got a great book (Jon and Jack Faine's From Here to There) for Christmas.  I will look forward to reading some of it on public transport.  In fact I am looking forward to going to bed and reading it right now.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Christmas cheese muffins, icy poles and the beach
Two years ago:  On being a vegetarian
Three years ago: Potluck in Prinny Park
Four years ago: Chocolate, cherry and chestnut cake
Five years ago: Summer salsa and quesadillas

Rapid Refried Beans
Slightly adapted from Alison Holst
serves 3-4

1 tbsp oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 small green capsicum, finely chopped
shake of chilli powder or to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
2/3 of a 400g tin of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon tomato paste (I forgot this)

Fry onion and garlic in oil until cooked.  Add capsicum, spices and seasonings and gently cook until softened.  Add kidney beans and tomato paste.  Warm though, remove from heat and lightly mash with potato masher or a fork.  Great with tacos.  Alison Holst also suggests this makes a great base for nachos.

On the Stereo:
Music for Burns Night (Scotland on Sunday freebie - 2010) - Various Artists

8 comments:

  1. That's a good looking recipe! Sorry to hear about your accident, catching public transport in summer is something I try to avoid so you have my sympathy. I was at Northland on Friday evening trying to beat the heat too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the perfect quick dinner. And whoah on the car accident! So glad no one was harmed. I had a similar experience a few years ago at a stop light--ambulance was coming up from behind and the woman in front of me slammed on the brakes; so did I; but the 20-something behind me had her ipod on (earplugs in ears) and didn't hear it in time, so slammed into me from behind. My car, in the middle, got totalled, while the other 2 were fine!! Gah. They should outlaw any kind of earplugs/phones while driving. Anyway, I think I know what we're having for dinner tonight! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry about your car crash :( I had someone drive in to the back of my car a few years back and it was awful - I cringed at traffic lights for days afterwards, thinking it would happen again. I hope you're both ok and the car is too?

    This sounds like a great dinner and I have actually never made refried beans! Terrible! I will have to give this recipe a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no!!! At least you guys are okay! that's what's really important.

    I LOVE refried beans and need to remember them as an easy go-to dinner option!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness, you and Sylvia were spared any injuries, Johanna. I've never attempted refried bean either. I should though because your recipe sounds quick, easy and pretty healthy too!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Johanna. Happy New Year to You and Yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We made something so similar to this for new years eve and had lazy nachos (this on top of corn chips-uncooked) and tofutti cream cheese and salsa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about your car accident Johanna! I hope the repairs are carried out promptly!

    We are huge fans of refried beans, they have become almost mandatory when we have Mexican and they pair so well with other Mexican foods. Home made ones are so much nicer than the pre-made refried beans in a tin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! Sorry to hear about the car accident. Glad to hear you are both ok. These beans sound yum - I do like tacos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)