Sunday 14 July 2013

Lentil and mushroom nut roast and what to do with leftovers

Winter is the time for nut roasts.  As the days grow cold and then nights darken early, I hanker after a roast dinner like mum makes, but with a hearty nut roast replacing the meat at the centre.  I made a nut roast last week that lasted us 6 nights.  I have recently come across a few people who hate leftovers.  They would shudder at the thought.  E and I were delighted.  After a lot of energy on one night, I had easy dinners for almost a week and E had minimal dishes to wash.

I swithered and swithered over which recipe to follow for the nut roast.  Every recipe I fancied had ingredients that I didn't have in the house.  Finally I came to my senses and just threw in what I had about.  It was quite a bit of work.  I put potato and pumpkin the oven to roast while I made the nut roast.  Then I made gravy while the nut roast was in the oven.  While the gravy simmered I microwaved the brussels sprouts.

There was a lot of nut roast mixture.  Usually I cook nut roast in a loaf tin.  I probably should have used two loaf tins but I used a square cake tin instead.  This was not good for turning out a nicely presented nut roast.  Ah well.  It is one of those dishes that needs a lot of make up to look good.  It was a little crumbly around the edges but generally held together well.

The nut roast was very tasty.  I don't usually make them with lentils but I happened to have bought a bag of green lentils at the green grocers recently.  I really liked the nut roast this way.  I think the swiss brown mushrooms also gave it extra flavour.  We had enough roast vegetables to have another roast dinner the next night (Day 2).

Day 3: I finally got around to trying Ricki's Toronto Sandwich for lunch.  Well I didn't use her fillings but I made the chickpea flatbread.  This was brilliantly simple.  I just mixed 1/4 cup of chickpea flour, a pinch of salt and 2-3 tbsp of water to get a pouring batter that can be fried in oil on a frypan.  I had to spread it around the pan a bit with the back of the spoon and then be really patient to wait for golden brown marks on one side.

The chickpea flatbread was delicious with nut roast, chutney, roasted pumpkin and cos lettuce.  I loved it so much that I decided we could just eat the same for dinner that night.  (I was trialling some ice cream and wanted a light dinner.)  E loved it but Sylvia was lukewarm.  I tried to give her melted cheese on hers and then some vegemite to encourage her to eat it.  All I can say is that E and I both ate her leftovers and enjoyed it.

Day 4: I finally returned to a vegan gluten free cauliflower pizza base that I had been on the verge of posting on this blog a few weeks back.  I wrote it up and then I hit one wrong button and bad Blogger deleted it without a word of warning.  Argh!  I decided to make it again with blanched almonds for a whiter crust.  It was nice but soft.  Maybe I will experiment further.  Or perhaps if I want a GF pizza crust I will just stick to the Chickpea pizza base that worked so well.  The nut roast was lovely sprinkled between tomato sauce and cheese.

Day 5: I transformed the remaining leftover nut roast into a vegetarian bolognaise sauce.  It was delicious.  And I was very pleased to finally update the photo on my veg bol post that I write in 2007.

Day 6: tonight we got home late and tired.  I had just a little vegetarian bolognaise sauce left.  It was spread on a pita bread and topped with cheese.  Baked for 20 minutes at 220 C, it was a quick and tasty pizza.  Again quite light but that was just right after a fine afternoon tea.

I've said it before and I will say it again, I love nut roast.  Not only is it delicious as a hearty dinner but it also makes wonderful leftovers.  I am sending this to Ricki's Wellness Weekends.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Irish No Knead Bread
Two years ago: Easey Cheesey Scones
Three years ago: Nutella Blondies
Four years ago: Sour Skon
Five years ago: Pumpkin, PC Stories and a Roast
Six years ago: PPN#20: Cultures, traditions and macaroni cheese

Lentil and mushroom nut roast
Original Recipe Sort of inspired by The Snarky Vegan
serves 6-8

1 cup green lentils
1 to 2 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
140g swiss brown mushrooms, diced
1 small carrot, grated
2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
100g fresh bread crumbs
90g hazelnuts toasted and ground
25g raw cashew nuts, ground
2 tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
2 tbsp tahini
1 tsp french lavender salt (or regular salt)
1 tsp seeded mustard
1/3 cup milk (I used coconut milk)
fresh black pepper

Simmer the lentils for about 40 minutes or until soft.  They should be on the mushy side of cooked rather than just cooked.  I added a pinch of salt towards the end of cooking.

Fry onion in olive oil for about 5 minutes or until translucent.  Add mushrooms and fry about 8-10 minutes until mushrooms are dark and soft.  I added the carrot in the last few minutes before the mushrooms were done (it doesn't need much cooking and doesn't need to be cooked through - it will cook in the oven) and then add the garlic at the end and stir in before turning off the heat.

Add remaining ingredients and stir until you have a thick mixture - more paste than batter.  Check seasoning and adjust to taste.

Tip into a greased and lined 20cm square cake tin.  Smooth down with the back of a spoon.  Bake for about 30-40 minutes at 180 C or until golden brown.  (I think it took me 30 minutes.)

On the Stereo:
Gather in the mushrooms: the British acid folk underground 1968-1974 – Various Artists

23 comments:

  1. I don't usually like nut roast, but yo have me with that gorgeous sauce and all the ideas. I may be turned!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac - I love it as much for leftovers as for a good hearty meal - and you can pack (hide) quite a few veg in it

      Delete
  2. Hmm...nut roast. Great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These aren't leftovers; they're newovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - that gave me a good laugh - and you may find me using it sometime :-)

      Delete
  4. All looks great, I want to try nut roasts but I know I'll be the only one who eats them and I get sick of eating leftovers for days in a row :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veganopoulous - highly recommend you try one - you can make them smaller this this one (and some of mine are a lot smaller) but they do freeze well and as the post shows they work in a whole lot of leftovers - lasagna and nachos are other leftover ideas

      Delete
  5. I haven't made a nut roast in ages! But I did make a cauliflower crust pizza and loved it-so much so that I made 4 pizzas in a row-oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - winter is nut roast time for me - I did admire your cauliflower crust so I am not surprised you made 4 in a row - I would too if mine could look that good

      Delete
  6. This looks yummy! I should try nut roast sometime.

    Also, I love your approach to leftovers. I'm a big fan of recreating leftovers into new forms, so go, you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine - definitely give it a go - esp if you love recreating leftovers - it is like a packet of veg mince meat for me and you know there are countless ways to use mince

      Delete
  7. What a week of food! You have definitely convinced me of the merits of this approach to meals...I love the look of all of them. The nut roast itself is excellent too, and makes me think of Christmas as that's the first time I made one :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - there is nothing better than leftover nut roast in the fridge or freezer to make choosing a meal seem easy. Nut roasts are great in winter when you need warming comfort food

      Delete
  8. I'm going to try this one. I am always after ways to make Tyler feel like hes eating meat :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cass - I have lots of nut roast ideas on this blog - hope you enjoy one - they go down very well with my meat loving siblings so hope Tyler loves it

      Delete
  9. I haven't made a nut roast for ages as they weren't terribly popular with the others - I actually think we enjoyed the meals made with the leftovers rather than the nut roast dinner. Love how your nut roast kept you going for so many different meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel - that is a shame the nut roasts aren't so popular - I love them and so does E - Sylvia refuses them like most things I make for dinner but hopefully one day she will enjoy them as she did when a baby. Roast dinners are what I grew up on and I love the comfort factor but I understand it is not everyone's way to eat a nut roast - so many different ways to eat them

      Delete
  10. I've never eaten a nut roast before in my life. When I first found your blog I printed off about 10 nut roast recipes (no kidding!) and have had them on the kitchen counter ever since. I really need to get around to it. It's so retro! I just don't think I've had the confidence to pull it off and that's why I've been avoiding it. You seem to throw yours together so easily/without failing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nat - I sometimes go off track before getting the nut roast to work. I have been making them for 20 years. I suggest you start with quite a simple one like my christmas nut roast that I have veganised here - http://gggiraffe.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/vegan-christmas-nut-roast-and-salad.html

      Delete
  11. That looks tasty, and your leftover ideas are wonderfully creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kath - I find nut roasts great fun for trying new leftover ideas

      Delete
  12. I can't believe I never commented on this post! I decided this would be the "nut roast" link in my blog post for tomorrow (or maybe today by the time you get this comment), and what do you know? There's my "Toronto Sandwich"! Sorry I missed this the first time round. The nut roast does still look spectacular, though! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)