Friday 16 July 2010

Nutella Blondies

On Monday it was my turn to do morning tea at work. I had decided to make a batch of nutella brownies that I had found online recently. Cooking for colleagues means that I am not familiar enough with everyone’s tastes to feel I can experiment too much. This recipe seemed both safe and impressive.


I had never encountered a “blondie” as a slice before I started blogging. Hitherto the term either referred to a hip post punk band, a silly cartoon or a patronising way to address women. I had had my fair share of Nutella in my childhood – our school canteen was into health food but they did sell little sachets of Nutella. But I have not really had much success baking with it. This slice showed me just how good blondies could be and one of the best ways I have come across to use Nutella in baking.

If you are seeking either blondies or Nutella recipes, I highly recommend this one. I am backed up by my work colleagues who enjoyed them whole heartedly. Just as well morning tea was a success as nothing else seemed to go well that day.

I am sending these nutella blondies to Champa of Versatile Vegetarian Kitchen for her weekly Bake-Off round up. This is an event that I have just discovered. It showcases a whole array of baked goods in the blogosphere, including cakes, casseroles, cookies, quiches, scones or anything else produced in the oven. Lots of great ideas.

Finding out about blog events is always a bit of a challenge. I have some links on my blogroll but they constantly change. So I was pleased when Jacqueline, of Tinned Tomatoes blog, announced that as well as bringing up her gorgeous wee baby, keeping up her blog and co-hosting the No Croutons Required event, she has a new project - the Food Blog Diary that lists blog events and other food events.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: Sour Skon
This time two years ago:
Pumpkin, PC Stories and a Roast
This time three years ago:
Sesame and Lemon Bread

Nutella Blondies
From the Cookbook Chronicles

  • 250g butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 cups dark brown sugar
  • ½ cup castor sugar
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2½ cups plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp bicarb soda
  • 220g jar (about 1 cup) Nutella (or any chocolate hazelnut spread)
Preheat the oven to 170 C (325 F) degrees. Line a (9″ x 13″) lamington tin with baking paper.

Melt butter in a large heat proof bowl in the microwave. Add eggs, brown sugar, castor sugar, salt, vanilla, flour, baking powder and bicarb soda. It will be quite a thick batter.

Spoon batter into the prepared tin and smooth with the back of a spoon. Dollop nutella over the batter. Use a skewer to swirl it through the batter and make lovely designs.

Bake for 25-30 minutes until the batter is puffed and golden but still a little moist in the middle. (The recipe warns not to overcook but my oven is not too powerful so I did 30 minutes without too much cooking however I felt it was quite soft in the middle once it cooled.) They will collapse slightly once out of the oven.

Cool in tin and then slice into squares or bars. (The recipe says to cool for an hour but I cooled mine overnight.)

On the stereo:
Serendipity: an Introduction to John Martyn

14 comments:

  1. My kids love Nutella. Thanks for the entry. I should try this sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. The swirl is just perfect. I think I will borrow this recipe soon, Johanna!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Adding the layer of nutella would almost feel like a bit of brownie and a bit of blondie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm I love blondies. I've never been a big fan of Nutella but would have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't keep Nutella in the house for fear that I will finish it in one or two sittings, but it might be worth it just to make this recipe! Looks fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swirled desserts just have that little somethin' somethin', don't they? :) Oh, if only I'd brought back a jar of that Crema Novi spread from Florence....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never had a blondie brownie. And nutella is quite new to me. NO tsomething we had in the house growing up. I'll try and remember this sweet recipe for the winter season. I especially like the swirls. Very effective.

    Your right about catering to other peoples tastes. You just don't know. Better to play it safe now and again, and this kind of recipe can only be hit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, those blondies look sensational, Johanna. Recipe bookmarked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Champa - glad to be in your round up - am sure kids would love this slice

    Thanks Anh - yes please borrow the recipe, you may just find you want to keep it :-)

    Thanks Ashley - would be interested to hear what you think of these if you are not a nutella fan

    Thanks Lorraine - I think this is why I loved these - they are blondies with enough chocolate to satisfy me!

    Thanks Madge - oh I understand, I can eat it by the spoonful

    Thanks Hannah - if Crema Novi spread was available here I would love to try it in the blondie

    Thanks Mangocheeks - yes swirls look lovely, good for the crowds, though I did worry that someone with a nut allergy would unwittingly eat it

    Thanks Claire - hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Johanna, I came across this facebook group today which states that nutella is not vegetarian: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Make-Nutella-Vegetarian/255937363136

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks Kristy - what a shame - probably just as well because I find it so addictive - now I'd be really interested in getting other hazelnut chocolate spreads or even trying ricki's - http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2010/06/25/the-nutty-professor-in-two-parts/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my goodness--blondie heaven. (And I mean the slice, not the other possibilities!). I've got the nutella on hand now (my version, anyway), but for now will have to forgo the blondies (sniff, boo hoo). But I can dream. . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmmm how i love anything with nutella!
    I hear you are one of the bloggers coming to Taste festival with SBS. I am too! Looking forward to seeing you there =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I finally got around to making this recipe today Johanna, and I can confirm that it is made of win. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)