Thursday 23 November 2017

I Dream of Sushi, Moonee Ponds

When you find a sushi place that is named after a favourite childhood tv show and has a separate vegan menu, you know you are onto a good thing.  As soon as I saw Veganopoulous's fantastic photos I had bookmarked I Dream of Sushi as a place to visit when we were next in Moonee Ponds.

It is just a small place with some seating along the window and wall but it has a nice ambience with kewpie dols and maneki neko.  Sylvia and I also enjoyed watching the trains from the window.  I Dream of Sushi is right opposite Moonee Ponds Train Station.

I was excited that the sushi display had more than the standard vegie and avocado handrolls that you find in shopping centres.  I haven't yet tried the fried eggplant miso sushi but hope to some day.

But then I saw that they had a separate vegan menu.  You might need to ask for it as it is not necessarily given to you unless you ask about vegan options.  But it is extensive and impressive.  Bento box, Gyoza, Soup, Soba noodles, Tofu.

I chose the Tofu Don on my first visit.  the photo is at the top of the page.  It was delicious.  While not dirt cheap, at $14 I got my money's worth.  Four large squares of tofu in batter with don don sauce, lots of vegies and salad and heaps of rice.  In fact Sylvia really liked it and there was plenty for two of us.

Sylvia had ordered her favourite Japanese dishes: inari and edamame.  While sharing a bit of my dish she managed to knock a plate to the floor and it smashed to smithereens.  The staff showed just how lovely they were by tidying up with little fuss and easing our embarrassment.

We also had drinks because I cannot resist a good kombucha and Sylvia always wants apple juice.

My second visit was by myself.  I ordered the Bento and was most impressed.  While I prefer a little compartmentalised bento box, I loved the plateful of food so much that I was willing to overlook this.  The bento consisted of what the staff called "tofu steak" but I would call battered tofu, tempura root vegetables, a green vegetable mixture of broccoli and asparagus with a creamy nutty sauce, some edamame, lots of salad leaves with a delicious dressing and a bowl of rice on the side.  So so so good.  Again it was great value for money at $15 with lots of vegies and flavour.

I really want to return and try other dishes but I loved the Tofu Don and the Bento so much that I want to eat them over and over.  It will be hard to branch out even if the soba noodles and gyoza are calling my name.  The staff are lovely and the cafe is a pleasant place to stop and eat. And don't forget to admire the cute little sushi cartoons around the place.  They will make you leave with a smile.

I Dream of Sushi
6 Margaret Street, Moonee Ponds (opposite train station)
03 9375 7961
Opening hours: M-Th 11am-8pm, Fr-Sat 11am-9pm, Sunday Closed
www.idreamofsushi.com.au

I Dream of Sushi Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

9 comments:

  1. It all looks delicious! Now I'm craving sushi but I'm on the other side of the planet! We have a really great vegan sushi restaurant near Toronto in Canada that I've been to many times. They have everything you can imagine and it's all vegan. It's such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which place is that Amie? I'd love to add it to my to eat list for my next visit!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely lot of dishes. I'm such a sushi fan, and they're definitely are never enough places with vegan menus! Tofu don is exactly what I would have picked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This place looks so cool! LOVE the decor, too! AWESOME vegan options - glad you found them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is pretty great and so good to see Moonee Ponds starting to lift its game with other vegan options around too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yum i love sushi to bits! we often have it once a week. and i love the poké bowls you can get now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic place. This sounds like a wonderful lunch option and I hope you can visit regularly so I can live vicariously through you!

    Also, is that Philip Pullman's Book of Dust I see? Or perhaps just a bookmark as it doesn't look wide enough for the book. I can't wait to read it but am hoping to hang on for the paperback.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a real hit! Every time I hear Moonee Ponds I think it isn't a real place! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the name of this place. I am a sushi fan so must check it out when I am next in Moonee.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)