Sunday 22 October 2017

Carrot and smoked cheese nut roast (with vegan option)

This nut roast was made in a rush to take to my parents' for a roast dinner.  It was so nice to have leftovers for sandwiches and a quick meals that I wished I made one every week.  I was too busy baking bread and muesli to give it the time it needed.  I ended up grabbing it from the oven and taking it in the car while still hot in the tin.  But it was still delicious.

I ate the nut roast at my parents' place served with roast potato, roast pumpkin, cauliflower cheese, peas and home made tomato sauce.  My mum mad a Guinness chocolate cake for dessert.  What an excellent lunch!  The nut roast was slightly soft but still really good with all those sides.  And we had leftovers!

As is so often the case, the leftover nut roast was really good.  I meant to cook it through more but the weather was too hot for faffing about with an oven.  I ate some for lunch in a salad sandwich with a friend in the park.  We finished it off that night.  Sylvia reluctantly ate half a slice.  I really enjoyed it with salad.

It was the first really warm day of spring with the sort of pleasant balmy night that makes you reluctant to go indoors.  Such hot weather only halfway through spring is a little worrying.  It might be a hot summer. I might just cope if I have lots of nut roast and salad!

More nut roasts on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Carrot and feta nut roast
Chocolate nut roast  
Golden beetroot nut roast (v)
Parsnip, cranberry and chestnut roast 
Stuffed nut roast
Welsh nutroast with laverbread, leeks and cheese (v)

Carrot and smoked  cheese nut roast
Adapted from The Vegan Society
Serves 4-6

1/2 cup hot water 
1 tsp vegemite (or other yeast extract)
2 medium carrots, grated
125g smoked cheese, grated
1 1/2 cups nuts coarsely ground (about 200g)
110g breadcrumbs (about 3 ends of a loaf)
2-3 tbsp chopped spring onions or chives
1 tsp seeded mustard
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp seasoning mix (or salt and pepper and herbs)

Stir vegemite into hot water.   Mix with all other ingredients.  Spoon into a loaf tin and smooth down.  Bake for 30 minutes at 180 C or until golden brown and firm to touch.  Best served reheated if you want it to slice neatly.

NOTES: I made this vegan because my cheese was vegan.  This nut roast could be made with regular cheddar/tasty cheese by adding a bit more smoked paprika.  I used a mountain pepper, salt and herbs seasoning mix.  I used baby leeks instead of spring onions or chives because my leeks never grew much.  I used cashews, hazelnuts and walnuts for the nuts.

On the Stereo:
Apartment Life: Ivy

6 comments:

  1. I love nut roast. I know it's one of those things that people associate with vegetarianism of yore, but it's ripe for a revival - it's such a great centrepiece for a roast dinner, with spuds and gravy. Heaven! I reckon smoked vegan cheese would be a lovely addition too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your nut roast sounds good - and Guinness chocolate cake for dessert would be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only made nut roast a couple of times but it is rather good. I should try one of your versions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am starting to think about Christmas food so this is well timed :-) It sounds delicious, and great for our cooler weather even ahead of the Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmas is a little far for me to think of at the moment, but I am wanting nutroast esp. with the season changing. Also I always love your nutroasts so actually am going to give this a go over the weekend, as i have guests coming over expecting Veggie Roast, we have Quorn roast, but I am not always keen on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Tis definitely the season for Nut Roasts! I always love when they have added cheese. Yum! x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)