Friday 10 February 2017

Chickpea, peach and pumpkin curry

Even when I try to meal-plan my plans go astray.  I chanced upon Jack Monroe's Peach and Chickpea Curry.  It used tinned stewed peaches.  But it is stone fruit season here so I thought I would use fresh peaches.  The I realised the flesh on my ripe peaches would dissolve in no time and the skins would float in the curry.  Luckily I remembered some stewed peaches rejected by Sylvia that I could use instead.  Then I tinkered with the recipe to use up vegies in the fridge and my curry was complete.  And delicious!

The curry is slightly sweet but in a savoury and spicy way.  I served it with brown rice.  (For those who read a previous curry post about my brown rice tin being emptied to save a shaver that had gone into the water, yes the shaver survived!  Phew!)  I also used up the last of some rocket just so we could have a bit of greenery.  You can probably see that this is not a traditional Indian curry but more the sort that the Anglo world used to make in the 1970s.  As I am quite fond of some retro food, I really loved this.

I still had the fresh peaches so I stewed these for breakfasts.  I have been doing well this summer in rescuing any stone fruit that is getting a bit soft and neglected by stewing it.  Home stewed fruit is far superior to the bought sort.  Except when it comes to this curry.  As stone fruit season never lasts long enough, I am sure we will soon have more tinned peaches in the house if only just to make this curry again. 

I am sending this curry to Healthy Vegan Fridays, Meat Free Mondays, My Legume Love Affair and No Waste Food Challenge.

More fruit in curried dishes on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Banana curry (gf, v)
Chickpea and potato curry with mango chutney (gf, v)
Curried apple soup (gf)
Pumpkin samosas with nectarine marmalade and raita (v)
Sausage curry casserole with pineapple (v)
Watermelon curry (gf, v)

Chickpea peach and pumpkin curry
Adapted from Jack Monroe
Serves 4-6

splash of oil
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 heaped tsp dried cumin
1 tsp finely grated ginger
1 tsp seeded mustard
1 tsp chilli paste
400g tin diced tomatoes
350g pumpkin, peeled, seeded and chopped
400g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
250g tinned stewed peaches
1 1/2 tsp vegetable stock powder
1/4 cup water

Fry onion, carrot and celery in oil over medium heat until softening.  Add garlic, cumin, ginger, seeded mustard, chilli paste and continue frying for about a minute.  Stir in tomatoes, pumpkin, chickpeas, peaches, stock powder and water.  Bring to boil and simmer for 30 minutes.

On the stereo:
Music of the Kabarett: Various Artists

18 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this. I bet the peach is so nice and gives a great sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks All That I'm Eating - the peach is lovely but not as sweet as I expected

      Delete
  2. Wow - what an interesting blend of flavours. It is rare I come across something that sounds genuinely new / outside of what I'd have thought of, but this is an example! It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - it does seem quite new to me - I think I put a tin of peaches into a vegie soup once but never thought to do it with curry.

      Delete
  3. OMG THAT CURRY speaks to me! It's calling to me. It wants me to eat it and loveeeee it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a variation of Jack Monroes Chickpea curry a while back and really liked it I am pleased you like it too, and your right its very 1970s retro food.
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/chickpeas-and-peach-curry.html
    Funny thing today, I have also posted another chickpea curry recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - Wow I am quite behind in finding this recipe but better late than never :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for coming by earlier. I did pick up the cookbook A Girl Called Jack awhile back from Oxfam - its worth getting from the library if you can, it does have lots of veggie recipes and they are very homely too.

      Delete
  5. I definitely would have put peaches and curry together, especially with chick peas, but I'm rather intrigued now. I guess mango chutney and salsas and such like go so well together, so I bet this would be equally be wonderful - and definitely much better than 1970s fodder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - I'm a big fan of fruit in curries so I wasn't surprised it works even if I had never thought of peaches before.

      Delete
  6. This curry sounds beyond yum - just my kind of thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing wrong with a retro curry! But I have to admit, it takes me back too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh interesting! I don't tend to think of adding sweet things to my savoury things. Adding peach to curry is very intriguing and delicious sounding. I can't wait for stone fruit season!!!
    Thanks for sharing with Healthy Vegan Fridays! I'm pinning & sharing.
    I hope you are having a great week, Johanna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen a peach curry before! I bet that's a great flavor combo! I would never have thought to put those together. I wanted to let you know we've picked your recipe to feature on HVF this week too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an intriguing flavour combination, but I can totally see how this would work! Great stewed peach save! Thanks for sharing with my No Waste Food Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I just chanced upon this recipe and love the sound of it. I see that pumpkin is in the title (and pic?) but no mention of it in the recipe or text though. Am I too Google-eyed and missed something ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous - sorry about that - what an oversight! I have updated the recipe based on how I usually make these sort of stews. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)