Friday 30 December 2016

Watermelon, mint and feta salad

Melbourne is having a hot, humid and slightly damp spell.  The sort of weather where you get out your coolest dress, worry about the garden wilting and welcome thunderstorms to clear the air.  It is the sort of weather for salads.  I would recommend this watermelon, mint and feta salad.

When I was young I hated watermelon.  I still dislike a fruit salad that is filled with melon.  These days I have come around to watermelon.  It has its moments!  I can now appreciate the sticky juice dripping down your chin on a hot day.  Yet Sylvia wants me to buy it too often.  And too often it sits forgotten at the back of the fridge.  In an attempt to avoid such neglect,  I finally tried the ubiquitous watermelon salad.  As a little bonus, it used up lots of mint from the garden too.

The day I made this it was to serve with a leftover salad which had not lasted the distance.  So we ate it with spinach and spiced nuts.  It was a nice easy meal on the first day of the school holidays but would have been better with a wider range of salads.  We had a similar salad at my mum's over Christmas and it was much better as part of a selection of salads.

It looks like New Year's Eve tomorrow wont be so hot as the last few days.  However if you are like me and just discovered NYE is Saturday and not Sunday, you would probably welcome a simple salad to add to the festive table.  And now that I have discovered that the year ends tomorrow, I can safely say this will be my last post of 2016.  Wishing you and yours a happy and safe New Year's Eve and I will be back next year.

More watermelon recipes from Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Watermelon, banana, strawberry, peach juice (gf, v) 
Watermelon curry (gf, v)
Watermelon monster (gf, v) 

Watermelon, mint and feta salad
Adapted from Serious Eats
Serves 4 or more

900g watermelon, trimmed and cut into chunks
1/4 cup of mint leaves (loosely packed)
1/2 lime, juiced
1 tbsp olive oil
50g feta cheese
salt and pepper to season

Trim rind off watermelon and cut flesh into chunks.  If your mint leaves are large (mine weren't) roughly chop.  Mix watermelon with mint, lime juice and olive oil.  Arrange on a large shallow bowl.  Scatter with crumbled feta.  Season.

On the Stereo:
Matilda the Musical: Soundtrack

14 comments:

  1. Have a great year in 2017!
    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a similar Watermelon and feta salad bookmarked forever, since i started blogging - can't remember if its because of Nigella Lawson, whoever its one i will have to make come summer.
    Happy New Year, if you I don't get round later to wish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - it is the most common way I see watermelon in a salad - perhaps because of nigella - it is wonderfully summery!

      Delete
  3. It has been too long since I had this refreshing salad! So perfect for this muggy weather. Happy New Year to you, E and Sylvia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - yep it is watermelon salad weather

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great salad. It is hot and humid where I am too. I adore Matilda - I took my mum to see it in Brisbane this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - glad you enjoyed Matilda - we are listening to the soundtrack a lot - Sylvia got it for Christmas - and falling in love with the show all over again

      Delete
  5. It took me many years to come around to watermelon in a salad too but it was certainly lovely to have one on Christmas Day. Cheers to a great blogging year for you and I look forward to your 2017 blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - it took me years to come around to watermelon in anything but I am beginning to understand it. I was interested to see your watermelon salad for Christmas Day - would love to see the recipe

      Delete
  6. This sounds so well suited to Australian summer. It's also sparked a watermelon craving in me despite it being very much not summer here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I can eat watermelon in summer but have no desire for it in winter so your craving makes me think you were just craving summer :-)

      Delete
  7. I adore watermelon! But I have never had it with cheese. It sounds delicious.
    I am of course very jealous of your hot weather.... but soon (hopefully) things will start to warm here too. Watermelon is the perfect refresher, but these days I always go for the seedless ones! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I sort of miss those big black stones but I don't really enjoy spitting them out - before you know it you will be facing warm weather and watermelon and a chance to make this salad :-)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)