Tuesday 4 October 2016

Carrot, onion and poppyseed bread

 
I really loved experimenting with some different flavours in bread baking.  Sylvia response was to ask when I was going to make her some of the white sourdough bread she loves.  Though I love my white loaves, I yearn for something a bit fancier.  And that was why I made this carrot, onion and poppyseed bread when Sylvia was staying with my mum for a couple of nights.  I made two different loaves and will share more about the fruit loaf soon.

I was inspired by the onion and poppyseed bread at Bakers Delight but then I decided to add carrot because I could.  I ran out of onion flakes so I fried some onion.  Good move!  Yet I could barely taste the onion in the warm bread.  Once cooled, it was a bit more prominent but still subtle.  Maybe more onion next time but I really loved this loaf.

When Sylvia came home from my mum's, we had a lovely lunch of fresh bread with cheese and chutney.  A couple of days later  Sylvia had been trampolining at Bounce with a friend.  They came back to ours for lunch.  I made them a pretty platter of bread, crackers, cheese, bikkies and hummus.  They left the bread and headed for the crackers and hummus.  Sigh!  They took their plates of lunch outside to a little tent they had set up as a house.  I stayed inside and enjoyed the bread and vegies!

I am sending this to Healthy Vegan Fridays

More savoury baking recipes from Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Carrot and poppy seed dinner rolls (v)
Cottage cheese and chive bread
Russian Vegetable Bread (v)
Sesame and Lemon Bread (v)
Sprouted green lentil and bulgar bread (v)
Yeasted Zucchini Bread (v) 

Carrot, onion and poppyseed bread
Adapted from Green Gourmet Giraffe

200g sourdough starter
275g water
10-12g salt*
2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 medium onion, finely chopped*
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely grated
15g poppyseeds 1 1/2 tbsp
4g onion flakes*
400g plain white flour
100g wholemeal flour
maize flour to dust surface

A few hours before making the loaf, take sourdough starter out of the fridge and feed it so it gets nice and bubbly. 

About an hour before going to bed (or first thing in the morning) fry onion in oil on medium high for about 4 minutes until they start to char around the edges.  Add carrot and fry on medium heat for about 1 to 2 minutes until the carrot changes colour which indicates it it cooked.  Mix everything together.  It is easiest to mix everything except flour first and then add flour.  Use hands to mix if required.  Set aside covered with a tea towel for half an hour.  Knead in the bowl for about 1 minute.  Cover with greased clingwrap and leave at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours.

Scrape dough out onto a lightly floured board.  Very gently without punching the air out, fold the dough in three.  Shape into a loaves.  Place on a floured surface and cover with the lightly greased clingwrap.  (Maize flour is great here.)  Set aside to rise for 30 minutes.  While the loaves rise, preheat oven to 240 C, with casserole dishes heating if you are using them.

Slash the loaves and put in the heated casserole dishes with lids on (or on a tray or in a tin).  Bake for 20 minutes with lid on.  Remove lid and bake another 20 minutes.  Then reduce oven heat to 180 C and return to oven for another 10 minutes to make sure the crust is crispy and golden brown.  Cool on a wire rack for at least an hour before slicing.

* NOTES: For more extensive notes on this method, go to my post on overnight sourdough bread.  I added more salt than usual (12g) because I was concerned that the carrot would make my savoury bread taste too sweet.  It was fine but I suspect you could get by with 10g.  I only used 1 onion but in future would use 2 onions to give more onioin flavour.  I also ran out of onion flakes so might omit if I had more onion or experimenting with using all flakes rather than onions if I had a good tablespoon or two of them.  Though I think I prefer fried onion.


On the Stereo:
The Velvet Underground and Nico 

18 comments:

  1. I'd go for the bread with the veggies, Johanna, in a couple of years the kids will probably say they should have too, lol...Your Carrot, Onion and Poppyseed Sourdough Bread has an amazing list of ingredients. I better pin it, lol...

    Thanks for sharing, Johanna...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - in a couple of years I will probably be too tired of making sourdough and sylvia will be asking for it :-)

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious. I need to do some more experimenting with savoury flavours... I do love onion, and the bread/onion combination is genius. I would have chosen the bread with veggies myself too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - it great to experiment with savoury flavours - I really want to do it more but need a bit more time and energy

      Delete
  3. This sounds so good! I bet the chopped onion is perfect! Now that it's getting cooler here I can't wait to start baking bread!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Ellen - enjoy your bread baking - it is so nice to do it in cool weather - the only reason to look forward to warmer weather is so that the bread rises quicker :-)

      Delete
  4. If you opened a bread business, I would buy from you (although you'd also have to move) :D How fantastic Johanna - really appealing. I'll have Sylvia's portion with pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I'd love a bread business that had lots of interesting loaves but sadly am unlikely to set one up myself (though seeing some loaves at other bakeries has inspired me to try some myself)

      Delete
  5. They left the bread and went for the crackers??? How unappreciative ;) I would love if someone made me homemade bread! It sounds delicious Johanna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - you would think I would get used to not being appreciated - sob! I would share it with you happily :-)

      Delete
  6. I like the sound of these flavours together! Onion is great in everything really! :D Maybe crackers are a bit easier to eat with dip. Who knows! Sounds like they missed out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - you are probably right about crackers being easier to dip in - though I love to spread dips on bread

      Delete
  7. Your bread sounds delish, and what lovely ways you have served it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - as soon as I bake bread I often try to incorporate it into a meal

      Delete
  8. I remember making a carrot loaf a while ago, and it was really good! I can't think why I've not made another one since. I also owe you thanks for helping me discover no-knead sourdough, which greatly increased my desire and ability to make bread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - so glad you have discovered no knead sourdough bread - I don't do much kneading these days because I take the lazy route but it makes life a little easier on a busy day

      Delete
  9. I know where you're coming from..... It's so frustrating when you can't put something into a recipe because you know the kids won't eat it..... If I tried putting onion in the bread, Miss GF would probably lob it at me..... But hey! They'll grow up quicker than we want and (hopefully) we'll look back with a smile as they wolf down the veggies, unusual ingredients in bakes and (can't wait for this one), I can put a tipple in the dessert! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I often have the decision between boring and kid-free or interesting and just for me :-) I like to think Sylvia is exposed to a lot of different foods and hope it will pay dividends evantually

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)