Thursday 16 April 2015

Vegan salmon pate - for dip or sushi

Isn't it great when the weather is warm and you spend the afternoon in the park under a large shady tree with a crowd of bloggers and heaps of good food!  In March, two of my favourite bloggers, Cindy and Michael of Where's the Beef, had invited us along to a potluck picnic to celebrate their 2000th post.  I took along some vegan salmon sushi and zucchini brownie topped with coconut bacon.

We make sushi quite often in our house.  Sylvia loves it but does not like any filling other than sushi rice.  I decided it would be a good savoury dish to take to the picnic.  I could make some plain for Sylvia and experiment with some vegan salmon filling for those what wanted something different.  And bloggers love trying a new dish.

Salmon is often offered as a filling in the little sushi shops in food halls.  I was never keen on fish and seafood.  In particular, I have disliked the idea of eating salmon ever since a friend had food poisoning from it when I was a university student.  Yet I do love its brilliant orange colour.  So please don't ask me if the pate compares to salmon.  I have no idea.  It wasn't quite as brilliantly orange as I had hoped but was rather pleasing nevertheless.  And it tasted very good in that nutty, carroty, dilly way.

I made the brownie the night before.  On the day of the picnic I made the ganache, the pate and the sushi.  By the time we arrived the party was in full swing.  I didn't take lots of photos because I was busy eating and chatting with other bloggers.  Fortunately E took the above photo of the picnic so you can see what a lovely location it was.

There was so much food.  I tried to sample bits of it but it seemed there was so much I didn't get to taste.  Cindy and Michael brought along their amazing sausage rolls.  I really loved tasting some myoki vegan cheese (pictured below) and Faye's vegan dill cheese.  There were heaps of salads, banh mi, dips and lots more.  (I didn't take enough note to report more.)

Dessert was every bit as splendid a spread.  I couldn't resist tasting a vegan chocolate ripple cake made with coconut cream (pictured above).  I also loved the chocolate caramel slice and some bounty bites.  Linda and daughter brought some lovely choc chip muffins and Rosalie brought some of her brownie that I regretted not trying.  It was great to taste Faye's Greek no-honey walnut cakes (‘Melomakarona’) - they are really delicious.  I didn't take great notes so I am sure I have left out other delicious dishes.  You can see more photos at Faye's Veganopoulous blog.

Yes it was all very intense and decadent.  Fortunately Ivan brought along some fresh figs from the backyard.  And it was hard to focus on the food when catching up with old friends and meeting some bloggers for the first time.  We talked about chickpea brine meringues, facebook vegan groups, vegans in the airforce, worm farms, and the supreme master at Loving Hut.

I am always a little wary of going along to these bloggers potlucks.  But despite some nerves about if I will know anyone, I always find it is great to meet up with online friends and that everyone is very friendly.  I went home with some figs as well as some leftovers of Faye's dill cheese and walnut biscuits.  We still had more vegan salmon pate in the fridge that taste very nice on fresh bread.

I am sending this vegan salmon pate to
Jac at Tinned Tomatoes for Bookmarked Recipes,
Kimmy of Rock My Vegan Socks for Healthy Vegan Fridays #43, and
Cindy at Gluten Free Mama for Gluten Free Fridays #138.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: NCR Pumpkin, bean and apple soup for a protest
Two year ago: WSC Chocolate Chip and Honey Scones
Three years ago: Chocolate Rasbperry Almond Cake amid the chaos
Four years ago: Autumn Apple Cake
Five years ago: NCR Very Garlicky Vegetable Soup
Six years ago: Easter Nut Roast and Feasting
Seven years ago: NCR Moody Mushroom Stew

Vegan Salmon Pate
Adapted from Food and Yoga for Life

1/2 cup sunflower seeds, soaked 30 minutes*
1 cup walnuts
1 cup peeled and chopped carrots*
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp tamari
1/2 tsp dulse flakes
1/2 tsp salt (I used wild garlic salt)
1 spring onion, finely sliced
scant 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill

Roughly blend drained sunflower seeds, walnuts and 3/4 of the carrots in a blender or food processor*.  Add vinegar, lemon juice, tamari, dulse flakes and salt.  Blend until smooth.  Add spring onion, dill and remaining 1/4 cup of carrots.  Pulse until these are roughly chopped and combined.

*NOTES: The sunflower seeds can be soaked while you gather and chop ingredients for the recipe.  The recipe I used said 1 scant cup of carrots but I used a heaped cup.  I used my high speed blender which was ok but needed a bit of prodding.  A good food processor would probably work better.  

Vegan Salmon Sushi

To make vegan salmon sushi, I simmer 1 cup of sushi rice and 1 1/2 cups water for 20 minutes with lid on and no stirring.  I stir sushi seasoning into the hot cooked rice, cool it and then spread it on sheets of nori.  Spread salmon pate in the middle with some cucumber sticks.  Roll up and slice with a sharp knife.

On the Stereo:
Key: Victoria Vox

16 comments:

  1. I adore salmon, I'd eat it in every form and shape. Your pate sounds delicious! I've never been to a blogger meetup...always felt a bit uncomfortable I think..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny - would love to know if the pate tastes anything like salmon. I know what you mean about blogger meet ups - it helps when you know one or two people who are going (which I have usually done mostly through exchanging comments)

      Delete
  2. I am so excited by this! I rarely miss meat or fish but occasionally do miss tuna and salmon sushi - mostly because veggie sushi options rarely excite me. I will definitely give this a go. It's well timed with our own sunny outdoor weather too :)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - like I said, I am not sure if it tastes like salmon but I was excited but finding another sushi filling that I really loved which wasn't just sticks of vegies - and it is the sort of nutty filling I love to make and doubles as a dip (the original recipe I found was for a raw sushi I think)

      Delete
  3. What a great spread - looks like a good time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - yes I really enjoyed the picnic and others seemed to as well

      Delete
  4. I read this first paragraph as i lie rugged up in bed listening to the rain outside. ..definitely not a picnic day today! Looks like a great day of delicious food and good company :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caeli - yes today is not meant for picnics - we were meant to have a day out for which I had made picnic food but we ended up in a cafe instead which was a shame. Glad Cindy and Michael had such great weather for their picnic - it can be so hit and miss in Melbourne.

      Delete
  5. I love this idea! The filling looks so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fab idea! I have never actually met another blogger, let alone had a picnic with a whole bunch of them....
    As for sushi? I'm impressed. I have always wanted to try making it (not least because we would then have control of the soy sauce element that is so common in shop-bought varieties (containing the dreaded 'g'), but it looks scarily difficult. Reading this.... it's not is it? Why am I so freaked by it? I really MUST have a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - it is not that hard - the hardest bit is getting the mix of sweet and salty and sour right in the seasoning the rice but you can start with sushi seasoning which I often use. Rolling it up is not that hard but the bamboo mats do help - Sylvia does that herself but I think I have got a bit better rolling up filled sushi with practice. Good luck. (and meeting other bloggers is fun too)

      Delete
  7. What a fabulous alternative to salmon, looks absolutely delicious:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea on the rolls for the potluck. Finger foods are so much easier to share. Oddly enough, I don't do local blogger stuff now that I am in Canada. I kind of miss the meetups in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet - it is nice to meet bloggers every now and again - though of course it is so much more limited than the virtual world where we can meet bloggers from four corners of the globe! Am sure you have enough old friends to catch up with in Canada!

      Delete
  9. These were so delicious, thank you for bringing them! I'm bookmarking the recipe to make myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What gorgeous sushi this makes! Love it. And the potluck looks so fun. I LOVE potlucks =) What better way to try a ton of different and amazing food with little prep involved? Looks like you had gorgeous weather.
    Thank you for sharing your amazing sushi at Healthy Vegan Fridays. I will most definitely be trying this soon =) I have pinned this on the Pinterest Board. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)