Sunday 11 January 2015

Beetroot and lentil salad with random moments

My big sister is eating healthy these days.  I have been impressed at watching her salad making.  Perhaps it was the inspiration for this salad.  It was just the sort of thing we needed after a hot summer day.

It was a busy day.  Sylvia had her first sleepover at our place the previous night.  Her little cousin Ashy was just lovely.  In the morning they dressed in their princess dresses and played shops.  Then we went to the outdoor pool with a school friend where Sylvia found just how cold the water is when it is stinking hot.  (There were screams!)  In the evening we watched Star Wars.  It now always makes me think of a little swimming friend of Sylvia's who wanted to dress up as Jabba the Hut for her birthday party.  (Sadly she never did!)

I didn't watch all of Star Wars.  I was making salad.  But I kept an eye on it.  A classic movie.  I have watched it many times but always feel I was never paying enough attention the previous time.  (Why don't I remember the bit at the start with the uncle and aunt?)

The salad also seemed like the sort I have made many times and was easy to put together.  I had everything in the kitchen.  The capers were inspired by a friend who recently made us pizza with them on it and raved to me about using capers.  I really loved the yoghurt dressing.  I dolloped genteel amounts on my salad for the dressing.  But once served I added heaps more.  Even so there was leftover dressing to use for another salad.  This was a most satisfying yet light dinner with just a few other vegies on the side. 

Now I have a couple of random moments to share:
  • I recently had a dream about a snake and a crocodile outside the house.  When I woke I was compelled to read the Drover's Wife by Henry Lawson.  I was horrified we didn't have a copy of this classic Australian short story.  Thank goodness for the trove of literature online.
  • E really wanted to go and buy a CD on sale while on leave between Christmas and New Year.  Then he worked out he would save about $4 and pay about $6 to go into the city by train and decided it was not a bargain after all.
  • Sylvia has been very keen to clean out the cupboards.  She told me I had promised to do it another day and didn't.  Then came the killer line: "You broke a promise and that's illegal."  Imagine how full the gaols would be if the police arrested everyone who didn't get around to their cleaning!
I am sending this salad to:
  • Lisa for No Croutons Required, the monthly vegetarian salad and soup blog event that she hosts with Jacqueline.
  • Shaheen for Eat Your Greens, an event for bloggers to share dishes using green vegies.
  • Elizabeth for No Waste Food Challenge, an event to share dishes using ingredients that might otherwise have gone to waste.  I find salads great for using up odd vegies.  This salad also used up leftover yoghurt from a tub I had opened for haggis nachos.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: NCR Vegan caesar salad
Two years ago: Weekend samosa, nectarine marmalade, raitia and slice
Three years ago: What vegetarian is that?
Four years ago: Chocolate cake - the way mum made it
Five years ago: Tetris, the Foolish Hedgehog and Brunch
Six years ago: Miso Soup for after the feasting!
Seven years ago: Scrumptious Sugarfree Slice

NOTE TO WORDPRESS BLOGGERS: I seem to be having problems with commenting on WordPress - I know of at least one bloggers who says my comments were in her spam.  I am not sure if this is just me or a glitch in WordPress.  Any advice on this is welcome.

Beetroot and lentil salad with yoghurt dressing
Adapted from Gourmet Traveller
Serves 2 as a main meal

2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
2 tbsp capers
400g tin of brown lentils, rinsed and drained
2 cooked and peeled beetroots, chopped
1 spring onion, chopped

Dressing:
1/2 cup yoghurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp seeded mustard
1 garlic clove
1-2 pinches salt
freshly ground black pepper

Arrange salad ingredients on large shallow salad bowl (I layered in the order they are written).  Whisk together all salad ingredients.  Drop spoonfuls of dressing on the salad and serve with more dressing on the side.

On the Stereo:
Country Christmas: Loretta Lynn

20 comments:

  1. LOL love that "illegal" quote from Sylvia. Kids are so literal aren't they! And re Wordpress and Akismet spam, just write to support@akismet.com and explain what has happened. it has happened to me twice and they fixed it quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - good suggestion - have emailed akismet and they are testing it.

      Delete
  2. what a lovely fresh looking salad, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wouldn't it be nice if promises were binding! Although, on reflection, also rather challenging and stressful. Funnily enough, I don't remember the bit with the aunt and uncle in Star Wars either and would have said I knew the film quite well. Obviously I'm due to watch it again too.

    This salad looks like a great dish for summer and it's lovely that it could be inspired by your sister too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - it would be lovely if other people's promises were binding but not sure about mine :-) I am sure I have seen the film a lot so was surprised to see this bit but I think that maybe I only have watched bits because I always saw it on tv

      Delete
  4. Haha I love Sylvia's response! Sounds like something my Sylvia would say :) and the salad sounds so good. I love beetroot, esp in salads, and with capers it would be delish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - yes kids have such a great way of pulling you up and making you think!

      Delete
  5. I have watched the old Star Wars films about three or four times and I never paid attention to them, ahem. I don't know what's going on but something is always distracting me.
    Salad during summer is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mihl - I think I have only ever watched it on the telly - I blame the adverts for distracting me (or maybe the tv versions have even cut bits out - I blame the tv for a lot!)

      Delete
  6. I love the flavours in this salad - bookmarked! :) And a first sleep over - how positively exciting!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth - Sylvia is very excited to be starting to do sleepovers - I find them a little stressful as she is not the sort of kids to just lie down and go to sleep straight away (sleep over in motion as I write and last think I saw was the dress ups box seeing some action - sigh!)

      Delete
  7. This salad looks absolutely delish - I am a fan of beetroot. I would never leave gaol if it were an offence not to do your cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - me to re beetroot and cleaning :-)

      Delete
  8. I think the only bit of Star Wars I remember is the part with the uncle and aunt! It could never keep my attention longer than those first few scenes. :P Love this salad! Beets and lentils are such a great earthy pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - I always found the first few scenes confusing and then after a while it would start to make sense - Darth Vader is so mesmerising! And agree on the beets and lentils combo

      Delete
  9. Yum. This sounds amazing. My mother love beats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Lilith - might be a salad to make for your mum then :-)

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sharing this lovely salad with NCR. Your support and recipes are always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks perfect for me! Such a lovely salad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Johanna for sharing this with Eat Your Greens, the entries were low this month, but still appreciated. This is a lovely salad and would be fab as a starter for a couple on Valentines day, do you get my drift :) The round up should be up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)