Thursday 7 November 2013

TV Dinners series: favourite television shows, memories and food

In September 2013, I participated in Vegan MoFo with a theme of TV Dinners.  It was a fun theme and I finished with more recipes than time to write them up.  After some thought, I have decided to continue the series beyond Vegan MoFo.  This is a page to record a list of these posts (to be updated as I go).

The series was an opportunity for me to explore the intersection between culture, memory and food.  Here are some of the general guidelines I use for the posts:
  • The television shows are ones that I have watched and loved.
  • I give some information about the show for those who haven't seen it, in case your interest is piqued.
  • The television show is used as a springboard to inspire me to cook interesting food.  
  • In most posts, the recipes are not directly taken from the television shows.  

I break each post down into five sections:
  • television show details, 
  • what it means to me, 
  • food featured, 
  • recipe notes, and
  • random notes.  

Some of the foods I made for this TV Dinners theme during Vegan Mofo, September 2013
Australian

British and European:

American

Please feel welcome to suggest your favourite tv food moments or food featured on tv shows (excluding cooking shows).

10 comments:

  1. Fawlty Towers is not American!! Its as British as the red telephone box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paper and Stone - that was a bad typo - fixed now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I realised after I posted that sounded really stroppy! I also thought that perhaps it was the Waldorf Salad that was American. Having a bad day here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries - I was glad you pointed it out - I should have proofread but was a little distracted by other stuff

      Delete
  4. This was such a fun theme! Thanks for collecting all of them in one place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - felt like I needed an alternative for expanding the tv dinners there because I couldn't keep adding to the vegan mofo list now that vegan mofo is over

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed this series. How about Anne of Green Gables - I have always meant to make something inspired by the mini series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - Anne of Green Gables is a great idea - love the show - I did a quick search and seems there are lots of recipe ideas for that show - it is so hard to find recipe ideas for some shows

      Delete
  6. Hehe, my partner’s favorite show is Father Ted ;) and speaking of American shows, wow, I haven’t watched Becker & Seinfield for a long time! Love the theme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rika - Father Ted is such a fantastic show - I love watching it when the repeats are on - makes me laugh every time

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)