Wednesday 7 August 2013

MLLA Smoky Apple Baked Beans for potluck brunch

Cindy and Michael invited us to vegan brunch on Sunday morning.  I decided to make one of my favourite breakfast foods.  Baked beans on toast.  Saturday was a productive day.  I had baked sourdough bread, baked some doughnuts I had stored in the freezer, made lemonade.  Still to go was pizza, baked beans and no knead focaccia.  Then I found I was low on white flour and only had the wrong beans.

I could have winged it.  Scrapped together the other bits of flour I had and used brightly coloured beans.  But I tried the foccaccia with wholemeal once and it wasn't great.  And I am very traditional about baked beans being light coloured.  Black beans and kidney beans would have looked so wrong.

So I went to where Sylvia and E were doing a jigsaw and told them I was going out into the darkening wet evening for flour and beans.  They barely noticed.  Those two had worn every dress up and played every game they could find while I was baking.    (No photo of their hilarious outfits but here is Zinc with a princess gown to give you a smile.)

The next morning I baked the foccaccia and reheated the beans in the oven.  It was an easy preparation while we ate porridge and got ready.  One reason I took the bread was to make sure that Sylvia had something savoury to eat rather than just eat sweet food.

Yes beans on toast seemed rather humble beside the amazing food.  Michael's vegan egg McMuffins, Vicki's mini croissants, Craig's vegie sausages in batter, Bec's berry cornbread, AOF's soy balls, someone's scrambled tofu, Cindy's gingerbread waffles with fruit, and Craig's oreos in batter.  I am sure I have missed lots else but it was really good. 

It was a relaxed brunch.  Yes there were kids and a deep fryer present.  And I got a waffle stuck in the toaster.  But there were bean bags and prosecco too.  It was great to catch up with old friends and put some faces to bloggers.  When Sylvia had been rascally enough, we left.  I gave Cindy some of the beans and took some home. 

The beans seemed to just keep on going on.  We had them on Monday with sausages and roast potatoes.  (I even got Sylvia to eat a few.  That is a huge achievement!)  Yesterday I had them in a sandwich with hummus, grated carrot and avocado.  Today I made us sourdough flatbreads for lunch and had roast potato, avocado, hummus and beans on mine.

I really enjoyed these beans.  They were easy to make and had enough liquid to be forgiving of as much cooking time as we needed (or maybe that is just our oven which is incapable of burning anything).  I didn't understand Susan's listing of a "can of tomato sauce".  In Australia our tomato sauce is either ketchup or pasta sauce.  I just added diced tomatoes and some tomato paste instead.  I also found it quite sweet and added more salt than she did.  I used 2 tbsp golden syrup but 1 might be enough next time.  Thanks Cindy and Michael for prompting me to make a recipe that had been bookmarked.

I am sending this taco filling to Cooking with Siri for My Legume Love Affair (#62), the monthly event celebrating beans and lentils and legumes, overseen by Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen and founded by Susan of The Well Seasoned Cook.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Wholemeal pretzels and Pea soup
Two years ago: A visit to Orange (the town not the fruit)
Three years ago: PPN Whimsical Mushroom and Rhubarb Soup
Four years ago: GYO Paradise banishes the Chutney Fear
Five years ago: My Vegetarian Lasagne
Six years ago: Bonza Baked Potatoes!

Smoky Apple Baked Beans
Adapted from Fat Free Vegan
Serves 6 to 8 or more in a buffet

2-3 tsp olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
1 large red capsicum, diced
8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large apple, chopped
400g tin of cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
400g tin of lima beans, rinsed and drained
400g tin of borlotti beans, rinsed and drained
400g tin of diced tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste 
1 to 2 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp lavender salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp bush pepper blend (or freshly ground black pepper)

Fry onions for about 3 minutes in olive oil in a stockpot.  (I used my 25cm le creuset dutch oven which is suitable for stovetop and oven.)   Add red capsicum and fry an additional 3 minutes.  The onions and red capsicum should be quite soft by now.  Stir through garlic and apple for about a minute.  Add remaining ingredients and bake at 180 C for about 30 minutes covered and another 30 minutes uncovered.  Check seasoning and adjust to taste.

They were ready to serve hot out of the oven but I left them at room temperature overnight and then heated for another 30 minutes the next morning before taking them out.  Keeps a few days in the fridge.

On the Stereo:
Viva Hate: Morrissey

    37 comments:

    1. this is such a lovely dish and zinc looks as cute as a princess :-)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Oh yum. I always think of the spread of food when I bring something to a potluck.. and since there are limited vegan eats, I usually bring a savoury bean meals, too. I was excited to go to a raw vegan potluck recently... and all I made was a salad since I knew I could eat whatever anyone brought!! I felt quite liberated actually. :)

      These beans have been on my hitlist. Glad they worked out well. I have a much simpler recipe I tried recently which I really liked, too. :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Janet - these days I have to think vegetarian, Sylvia's plain tastes, and her peanut allergy at potlucks but I do love a vegan one where I can eat everything.

        I was tossing up between your recipe and susan's - initially was going to do yours but only had one apple and then decided it was easier to do in the oven - though I liked your white beans rather than susan's colourful ones.

        Delete
    3. what a clever (and delicious) contribution!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Lisa - it was nice to do a home made version of a favourite breakfast

        Delete
    4. What dedication that you went out to get the missing ingredients for your dish. Zinc's outfit made me smile. I don't think I'll be dressing Moggy though :) What a fantastic array of food on the table. I am so envious and wish I was a guest.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Shaheen - I didn't actually dress zinc - she was just asleep by a dress of sylvia's so I tried to angle the camera to make her look like she was wearing it - I don't know she would let me dress her

        Delete
    5. Wow what a great brunch selection. I'm a big fan of homemade beans on toast too, and have had my eye on the FF Vegan recipe. I find they're usually better after sitting a while.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Emma - baked beans is such a forgiving dish and definitely better for some time for the beans to soak up the flavours. Highly recommend this recipe.

        Delete
    6. I have never heard of baked beans on toast, Johanna. How intriguing. I can see how it would be just perfect for a pot luck though. I'm sure it was a huge hit!

      Thank you so much for sharing...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. thanks Louise - baked beans on toast was one of my mum's weekend meals and I still love them - out of a tin is just fine for me but I also enjoy home made. Great for a pot luck as they are easy to serve and transport.

        Delete
    7. Zinc is adorable! I adore home made baked beans, so I know that I'd love this.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Cakelaw - gotta agree but goodness zinckie also makes me laugh

        Delete
    8. I'm so glad you, Sylvia and the beans and bread made it along to our potluck! We mixed our share of the beans into some tofu and filled burritos with it, much like your flatbread above. :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Cindy - we had a lovely time - Sylvia has wanted to live at the very top of those flats when we pass by them so she was delighted. Nice to hear how you enjoyed the beans - sounds a great way to eat them

        Delete
    9. I'm really sad that I missed the potluck - it would have been great to catch up with you again. These baked beans sound fantastic and so does the rest of the food that was at the potluck.

      BTW - I normally use 400ml of passata if a can of tomato sauce is listed in the ingredients, or tinned tomatoes if I'm out of passata.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Mel - sorry you couldn't make it - will have to do more potlucks soon. I love using passata but am so less likely to have it about than tinned tomatoes and tomato paste but will have to remember that tip - thanks!

        Delete
    10. What is it about beans that turns them in to leftovers that never seem to finish??? That's a fab looking recipe, I've bookmarked it :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Veganopoulous - I think home made beans always seem so generous because there is always so much more than is in a tin of beans - hope you enjoy the recipe

        Delete
    11. Wow, this sounds delicious! When I was younger, I thought I hated baked beans because I'd only ever had the tinned variety. A whole new world opened up when I started making homemade baked beans! Definitely going to try this one.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Little vegan bear - I loved tinned baked beans when I was young and still do - so does sylvia but she is not so keen on home made - they do taste quite different. Enjoy these beans

        Delete
    12. From conversations I've had with Americans, I believe what they can tomato sauce is what we call passata - just straight-up pureed tomatoes :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Hannah - why can't we all just speak the same english (that would be the queen's I guess!) - thanks for clearing it up

        Delete
    13. Aha! So that's where Michael (or was it Cindy?) got the deep-fried Oreo I saw on Twitter the other day! I have plans...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Linda - yes there was a deep fryer in action at the pot luck - I was sorry not to taste the apple fritters too but was pleased to have the chance to taste a deep fried oreo - it was especially good when I got some oozy creamy filling (they went very soft)

        Delete
    14. What a fun breakfast, and great looking baked beans - and it's admirable you made it out in the wintry weather to make your contributions possible! It sounds like a great weekend all around, what with your productive cooking, the wonderful dress ups (cat included!) and friendship and good food.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Kari - with a car it isn't so bad going out in the winter evening though it is hard to leave the heated house. It was a good weekend - so much good food and good fun

        Delete
    15. Yummm! I have no proper words, just YUM! I must make beans.

      Where do you get your liquid smoke from? I've been keeping my eyes open for it for a while but I think I might have to resort to grabbing some online...

      ps. Loved the pic of Zinc in pink :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Claire - yes they are really good beans to have about for a few days. I got my liquid smoke at the deli shop in the 'food hall' by the top of the escalator in Lygon Court - they have three different types which is very exciting. And yes Zinc is pretty in pink :-)

        Delete
      2. Thank you!! I'll head over next time I've got a spare moment in the city, how exciting! :)

        Delete
    16. That looks delicious and so versatile. There is something so comforting and homely about a big pan of simmering beans

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Katie - yep baked beans are my comfort food and I love a chance to use my big le creuset dutch oven

        Delete
    17. I make huge batches when I do beans too. I make them at work though and the girls I work with go nuts for them. I wish I had leftovers! You have given me awesome ideas to make with them though. I love the addition of apple too. Such a cool twist.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Cass - I really liked the apples and smoky together in the baked beans - big batches and leftovers are great with baked beans - glad yours are popular though

        Delete

    Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)