Monday 12 August 2013

Banana peanut butter nutella microwave brownie

Sylvia and I had been to the city to have lunch with E.  On the way home we stopped at the supermarket and in a weak moment tossed a large jar of nutella in our basket.  We don't often have nutella in the house.  If I hadn't had a freezer full of ice cream, chocolate shortbread dough and uncooked doughnuts, I would have been more tempted to bake with my nutella.  As it is, a single serve brownie filled the spot without overfilling the kitchen.

No egg in a single serve mug cake works really well for me as I found recently.  I decided to try a brownie version and be even more decadent.  It was the nutella that made me do it.  It was brilliant.  Rich, gooey, fudgy.  When I say fudgy I mean sludgy not sugary.  The sort of brownie that sticks to the spoon.  I ate it watching Downton Abbey, watching beautiful people in a beautiful house while eating this dreamy brownie.

It was delicious.  I was proud of myself.  The jar of nutella was huge.  I made it again.  It was a disaster.  Dry and inedible.  Microwaves are tricky beasts.  In retrospect I realised that my initial tablespoon of nutella was probably 2 tablespoons.  (See photo of the nutella I used on my first go.)  And I used a larger banana the first time.  I did what any sensible blogger would do and made it again.

My third was much better (below) but it lacked the dreamy heights of the first brownie.  Perhaps my cocoa in the first one was more generous too.  The photo above of the mixture is the guide to how the mixture should look.  My nutella is now finished so I am unlikely to be experimenting more in the near future.  I like the idea though it is a bit too much banana for me for when I want a chocolate hit.  I am posting it as work in progress but for now will prefer this single serve chocolate microwave cake.


Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Blogging resources
Two years ago: Canberra - of modern museums
Three years ago: NCR Carrot and Fennel Soup
Four years ago: Carrot Cake and the Lost Sock
Five years ago: WTSIM ... Beer Bread
Six years ago: Favourite food books

Banana peanut butter nutella microwave brownie
Adapted from Erin's Foodie Files 
Serves 1

1/2 ripe banana (a large one)
20g chopped chocolate (3 squares)
1 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
1 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon peanut butter
2 tablespoons Nutella

Mix all ingredients in a microwave proof mug.  Microwave for between 1 minute 30 seconds (third time - slightly underdone) and 2 minutes 20 seconds (first time).  Mine is not a very powerful microwave and time will differ from microwave to microwave as well as if the ingredients volume changes.  The mixture should look cooked but not too dry.  A spoon dug deep down into the brownie to take out a spoonful will show you if you need a bit more time.

On the Stereo:
The Best of The Pogues

12 comments:

  1. You know, I have never made a microwave single serve anything. This might be the recipe that changes all that...although I don't generally buy nutella, so mine might have more peanut butter and more cocoa instead (goodness knows how that will turn up but I'm sure it will be entertaining!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks kari - I always get lured in by nutella but then I regret it - after all it is so much sugar and so little chocolate and nuts - probably better to use nut butter or chocolate or a combination of both instead as you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well this seems dangerously delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - oh yes - a very dangerous idea!

      Delete
  4. Aaaaah I don't have a microwave anymore and I want to make an epic pb version of this very badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - I wouldn't cope without my microwave - even though I have read some bad stuff about microwaves lately :-(

      Delete
  5. Wow sounds delicious. I make GF variations of this and find if I add a little milk and a pinch of baking powder I get good results. I find the batter always needs to be wetter than I think.
    This combo sounds AMAZING! I'd drizzle some nutella over the top too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - on my dodgy second try - the batter just didn't look right whereas on the first try it looked good enough to eat without cooking - wetter than you expect sounds like a good rule of thumb!

      Delete
  6. The ingredients sound wonderful. I don't buy Nutella cause I 'd eat it out of the jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - we don't buy it often because it is just so easy to eat out of the jar but every now and again I weaken and then I avoid it for quite a while

      Delete
  7. Hi Johanna,

    Your so funny:) I don't buy Nutella much either. I too would be too frightened to eat the whole jar. If not me, Marion for sure!

    I do love these jar desserts though and I must admit, you have tempted me to give in:) It sure does sound yummy!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - ah the temptations of a jar of nutella - and now the temptations of a nutella mug cake - some of the great things in life - though sorry if I have led you astray :-)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)