Saturday 16 February 2013

NCR Coronationl Potato Salad

Jac announced potato salad as the theme for the No Croutons Required event that she and Lisa hold each month to share bloggers' recipes for vegetarian soups and salads.  I was certain I didn't need another potato salad on my blog.  I have already posted 6 potato salads.  Yet there is always another idea.

Last year when all the Jubilee hoo-har was on. I came across a recipe for Coronation Chickpea Salad.  While E tells me his mum used to make Coronation Chicken Salad, I don't remember this retro dish ever being on offer in my childhood.  So I was interested when I saw a vegetarian version.  This I saw Karen of Lavender and Lovage post a Coronation Potato Salad.  Fortunately I was reminded of this recently.

It was surprisingly spicy.  Wasn't old school British food meant to be bland?  E found it pleasing.  I served it with a salad that was meant to be mock tuna but ended up being all the odds and ends in the fridge that I needed to use and could chop up on one of Sylvia's unsettled nights.

We both agreed that the vegie salad wasn't an ideal accompaniment for the potato salad.  I revisited the leftovers with a burger.  (This is a Fry's Traditional Burger.  I bought it out of curiosity because these are the "vegetarian meat" that Sylvia often has at child care and loves to bits.)  The salad was much better.  I also think I might try adding sultanas next time I make the Coronation Potato Salad for added retro vibe.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: MLLA Nicki's vegetarian dumplings with fried rice
Two years ago:  Pizza with carrot and leek and recent food
Three years ago: Valentine Scones - raspberry and white chocolate
Four years ago: Tofu Burgers and Tennis
Five years ago: Wanton Dumplings in Ginger Broth

Coronation Potato Salad
Adapted from Lavender and Lovage
serves 4-6 as a side dish
  • 500g potatoes (preferably new potatoes)
  • 2 tablespoons yoghurt
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons chives
  • 4 teaspoons mango chutney
  • 2 teaspoons apricot jam
  • 1 teaspoon curry powder
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • handful of sultanas (optional)
  • spring onions or chives to garnish
Chop potatoes into chunks and boil for 15-20 minutes.  Drain.  Add remaining ingredients and gently stir until combined.  (Or you could mix the dressing ingredients together before the potato is cooked and toss through the cooked potato.)  Eat at room temperature.

On the stereo:
Hal David and Burt Bacharach: the Songbook Collection:
Various Artists

11 comments:

  1. Yay another entry! It does sound super tasty. I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac - definitely one I would recommend!

      Delete
  2. There's always room for a new potato salad recipe! Love the Indian spices in this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - I am usually a bit wary of indian spices in a salad but it really works well here

      Delete
  3. I think a great mango chutney does wonders to a ridiculous amount of dishes. I do like sultanas in savoury dishes as well, Mr Chocolate puts on a sad face if I put them in , but I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brydie - am interested in your faith in mango chutney - this may well be the first time I have bought it and am now wondering what to do with the rest of the jar - am sure I have seen recipes with the stuff somewhere....

      Delete
  4. Potato salad is one of those dishes I have never been able to enjoy, but I do like the idea of adding mango chutney and apricot jam! If I took out the yoghurt and mayonnaise I think I'd like my potatoes that way, although I think then it would be a very odd salad for anyone else who wanted to partake ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - a potato salad with just mango chutney and apricot jam without the creaminess sounds odd at first but then if you added them to a vinaigrette in a potato salad they just might work! Potatoes are amazing how they soak up all sorts of great flavours

      Delete
  5. Interesting recipe, Johanna. I really like the color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at potatoes! I love Fry's burger patties. I'm into anything by 'quorn' at the moment. Sorry about your bubba! I'm sure she will be back to normal real soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)