Thursday 7 February 2013

Chocolate and berry pizza

Sylvia's best friend came over to play on the weekend.  We made pizza.  Somehow the pizzas didn't seem to stretch as far as I would have liked.  I gave up my plans to make kale pizza with the leftover dough and made chocolate pizza instead.  Such a sacrifice!!!

I love doing a dessert pizza with cream cheese, choc chips and raspberries.  I just didn't have the ingredients at hand.  So I messed about.  I melted some choc chips and caramel chips with too much coconut milk.  I tipped out a lot of the mixture and melted in more dark chocolate (about 3 rows or maybe 80g of Whittakers dark chocolate).  I spread this thickly on the pizza dough.  Then I scattered it with frozen berries and baked it for about 15 minutes at 230 C (in my slow oven) til the crust was golden brown.  When the pizza came out of the oven I worried the chocolate would be too bitter.  So I scattered it with more caramel chips and a some spiced sugar.

I don't know that I will ever repeat this exactly nor that I would actually recommend it.  Yet it was delicious.  Dark, rich, with some berries to cut through the intensity.  It was soggy in the middle and messy to eat.  However, delicious enough for me to want to tweak my muddled method into a recipe that I can repeat.  Stay tuned...

On the stereo:
The Rip Tide: Beirut

17 comments:

  1. I've actually never had a dessert pizza! What a super fun treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - you would love a dessert pizza - you must try it

      Delete
  2. It looks good. I have fond memories of an apricot jam and apple pizza. Oh it was good! Slurp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac - apricot jam and apple - I really need to try more fruity pizzas

      Delete
  3. Aww, this is the loveliest idea for a pizza! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sacrifice indeed! And this looks like the sort of dessert pizza I would love - anything with chocolate and berries is a great dish to me. I suspect Sylvia's friend will want to visit again ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I love berries and chocolate too - Sylvia's little friend was very impressed

      Delete
  5. Peanut butter next? Please? With marshmallows? I've never like fresh fruit with chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - I like marshmallows on pizza in theory but would like to use veg ones which are harder to find, I like peanut butter in theory but not with sylvia's allergy and I love berries with chocolate - at least it wasn't orange :-)

      Delete
  6. Sure, it may have been messy but... WOAH that looks tasty! Chocolate anything is always a good idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dayna - I agree with you about chocolate - it is never a mistake!

      Delete
  7. I do similar things if I have leftover pizza dough. Little sweet pizza for dessert. I love how the berries have made the 'sauce'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - berries are great like that - they collapse into the food so delicioiusly

      Delete
  8. Mmm this looks like the best kind of messy! If I'm going to have a sweet pizza, I want it just like this! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - yes indeed it is the best kind of messy

      Delete
  9. Why have I never had chocolate pizza before - I am so deprived! What a fabulous idea Johanna.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)