Monday 14 January 2013

Baked brie with cranberry sauce and walnuts

 
Last week I had a busy day of baking bread, shopping and painting Sylvia's new dollshouse.  E was out late at ukelele practice.  When he came home I had just finished painting the roof in front of a Rolling Stones documentary.  It was lovely to sit down with a simple supper of freshly baked bread, fancy cheese and crudites.

This is actually a Thanksgiving recipe that I had bookmarked for the leftover jar of cranberry sauce.  It is more suited to the decadence of the festive season than the light and healthy food that follows the feasting.  But the brie was on sale and the cranberry sauce and walnuts were in the kitchen.  And I needed something simple for dinner.  Simple, gooey, delicious.  Simple Bites, where I saw the recipe, served it with crackers.  I had fresh bread, which was great with spoonfuls of gloopy gooey salty sweet nutty rich cheese.

We are still working on the dolls house.   It was made by my brother in law John and painted by my sister in law Erica. (Yes, they are amazing!)  I painting some more rooms today.  It will take a while for the interiors to be finished.  Right now it is looking more colourful and Sylvia is treating it more as a house and less as a post office to put little and tiny things through the windows.

I am sending this recipe to Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes for her Bookmarked Recipes.  For those who haven't yet noticed, she has also filled the hole left by the ending of Presto Pasta Nights, the weekly event that was organised by Ruth of Once Upon a Feast.  Jacqueline has started a new monthly Pasta Please event.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Scienceworks - history meets science in Spotswood
Two years ago:  NCR Sushi Salad and Sushi Rice
Three years ago: Tetris, the Foolish Hedgehog and Brunch
Four years ago: Mojos Weird Pizza – for the adventurous!
Five years ago: GF delights and fairy bites

Baked brie with cranberry sauce and walnuts
Adapted from Simple Bites
serves 2 as a meal (or more if you are entertaining)

200g wheel of brie
2 generous dessertspoons of cranberry sauce (actually I think I could probably have used more)
zest of half an orange (I didn't have any)
handful of walnuts

Bake the brie in a bowl or serving dish for 10-15 minutes at 180 C until soft inside.  Spoon the cranberry sauce over the brie and scatter the walnuts on top.  Bake for another 5 minutes.  Eat warm.

On the stereo:
The Rough Guide to Scottish Folk bonus CD: Bhon Chridhe: Maggie MacInnes

6 comments:

  1. oh my - this is going on my 'must make' list!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the pictures of this, I thought it was a dessert :-) Given my relationship with cheese the toppings appeal more than the brie, but I relate to your love of simple dinners after long days. This looks wonderfully festive too.

    I also love the look of Sylvia's dollhouse! What a great effort in the construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I actually wondered if it was dessert or not but it seemed suitable enough for dinner - not sure how you could take out the cheese - maybe the sauce and nuts would work with smoked tofu

      Delete
  3. I've never been a huge fan of brie, but I can imagine this being glorious with a blue brie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delish - how could I resist brie and cranberry sauce?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)