Sunday 18 November 2012

Corn fritters

Some time ago I made corn pancakes but I think I really wanted corn fritters.  For those who are pondering the difference, corn pancakes are largely batter with a smattering of corn kernels through them, while corn fritters are largely corn kernels with a thin coating of batter.

The corn fritters that I had in mind were those served by a Thai restaurant called Lemongrass in Carlton.  After a bit of searching I found a recipe for Thai Corn Fritters (Tod Man Khao Pod) on Serious Eats.

I didn't have any Thai curry paste so I improvised with the flavours.   I am not sure I got them right.  The fritters were definitely not authentic.  They were certainly tasty.  Fresh corn with a bit of rice flour and egg for crispiness is a guaranteed winning combination.  In returning to the recipe afterwards I noted that I hadn't used the baking powder at all and nothing close to the amount of salt in the recipe.

The recipe called for deep frying but that is too much of a challenge for me.  Instead I tipped far more oil that I usually do to fry them.  It worked quite well.  My main quibble is that the mixture didn't hold together brilliantly.  The result was actually a handful of fritters in a scattering of fried corn kernels.  This did not make for brilliant photos.

No matter.  I hope you can see past the unsatisfactory photos.  They tasted delicious and crispy.  I loved how they were light because, despite more oil than I usually use, they were mostly vegetable.  Served with potato gems and salad, they made a lovely easy meal. 

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: MLLA Avocado soy rotis
Two years ago: Apple and Cranberry Chutney
Three years ago: Mexican Lasagne and our Jetset Baby
Four years ago: Accolades and some random facts

Corn Fritters
Adapted from Serious Eats
serves 2-3

kernels cut from 2 ears of corn
6 tbsp (90ml) rice flour
1 egg
1-2 tbsp chopped basil
1/2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp chilli sauce
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp lavender salt (or regular salt, and possibly more)
2-4 tbsp canola or peanut oil

Mix all ingredients except oil.  Check and adjust seasoning.  Heat 1-2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and drop spoonfuls of the batter in the oil.  Fry over high heat until golden brown underneath.  It took me about 7 minutes but I could tell they were ready when they smelled cooked and some brown specks appeared in the batter.  Flip over and cook for about 4-5 minutes until golden brown on the other side.  Drain on kitchen towel and serve hot.  We served ours with chutney.

On the stereo:
Music from "The House of Dr Faustus": Ergo Phizmiz

16 comments:

  1. Oh my word, they look so tempting and tasty I could just pop one in my mouth straight from the pan. Yum ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chele - I think I did pop a few in my mouth straight from the pan - for research you know :-)

      Delete
  2. They sound gorgeous Johanna, I love Thai flavours and would never have thought to make Thai corn fritters. I don't do deep frying - too much fat and too much hassle, but shallow frying I can cope with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Choclette - I've made corn pancakes and never found them exactly what I want - whereas these fritters are - highly recommended!

      Delete
  3. Love the look of these! The fact that they broke up clearly makes them ideal for snacking ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - they would have made great snacks if they survived after dinner - very moreish

      Delete
  4. Sometimes the things that won't photo well (although I actually like your photos here) are the best in taste - it's a frustrating thing for blogging, but good for eating! When I read the title of this post I thought you were going to use cornmeal, so I was pleasantly surprised by the corn. I love the idea of these and think they look lovely, broken up or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - yes the best tasting food isn't always the most photogenic. I've done polenta sort of fritters before but I really fancied fresh corn on the weekend because it is so cheap right now

      Delete
  5. Lavender salt, soy and chilli - I just have to try to taste, don't I? :) !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this concept of corn fritters (vs pancakes) and am quite sure I'd prefer the fritters, too! Photos look perfectly delicious to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ricki - I was pleased that these fritters were gluten free - the egg doesn't contribute much taste so I imagine a vegan binder would work here

      Delete
  7. I love corn fritters. I often make them for lunch over the weekends. I like adding a few spring onions or chili to mine. They look delcious, all crisp and golden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - I had wondered about adding spring onions - might try that next time (and some garlic too)

      Delete
  8. i am a big fan of corn fritters as well. too many unhealthy versions though, so this one is great! thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scrambled Megs - I can imagine some very unhealthy versions of these

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)