Tuesday 2 October 2012

Shamburger pizza with the lot

Recently I was inspired by Adam's glorious photo of his vegan cheeseburger pizza at Keen on Food.  I thought about the burgers that were popular in Australian fish and chip shops before fast food giants arrived on our shores.

A traditional Aussie hamburger was a meat patty in a bun with lettuce and tomato.  Extras included cheese, bacon, pineapple, beetroot and egg.  If you had everything, it was called a hamburger with the lot.  If you do a vegan version then it is a shamburger!   Why not add it to a pizza!

My Shamburger Pizza with the Lot was of tomato sauce, fried onion, crumbled nut roast (my favourite veg 'meat'), tinned pineapple, roasted beetroot, tofu bacon and blobs of cheeze sauce on my favourite fast track pizza bases.  Perfect to watch in front of Scooby Doo and the Loch Ness Monster.

Actually I didn't quite have the lot.  I didn't do an egg.  If I had time and ingredients, I would have tried to make a very yellow vegan omelette and a very white one and arrange them on top like a fried egg.  I only thought of it after I made the pizza. 

The Shamburger pizza was delicious.  We also had one with a blanket of dairy cheese.  I preferred the vegan version that was lighter and a better balance of flavours.  The only problem is that, like other vegan pizzas I have tried without melty cheese, the ingredients were more likely to fall off.  Quite fitting really, as it hard to eat a Hamburger with the Lot without wearing half of it in your lap!

This post is part of Vegan Month of Food October 2012.  Go to my Vegan MoFo list for more of my Vegan MoFo posts. 

13 comments:

  1. I love leftover veggie burgers, nut roasts or hassis crumbled on top on pizza, they make such a tasty topping especially when paired with tofu bacon. Your pizza looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel - I quite like nut roast or haggis on pizza too - it makes the pizza feel more substantial and nutritious. As soon as I saw Adam's recipe I thought of it.

      Delete
  2. I love the name "shamburger"... And this is a great idea - I'm not traditional with pizza toppings at all - live it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt - The name shamburger was found in a 1960s Rose Elliot cookbook - it is fantastic isn't it!

      Delete
  3. Shamburger! LOL. How do you make a Vegan omlette, and where do you get your vege "roast" from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel - good question - I have put links to the vegan omelette and nut roast - I make nut roasts quite a bit and had some in the freezer - I don't think I posted the recipe but there are plenty of recipes on the post I have linked to (I will also post the cheeze sauce recipe soon)

      Delete
  4. My pizzas always have ingredients falling off (due to my omission of cheese), to the extent that I almost forget it isn't normal! This looks great and I love the shamburger / pizza blur :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - cheese is great the way it holds a pizza together but it can dominate and not let other flavours shine through if you are not careful

      Delete
  5. This sounds delish! And you did buy burgers at the fish and chip shop way back when - I'd forgotten that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - I think my dad used to get the burger occasionally when we did our fish and chip order - I never did but it still makes me feel nostalgic

      Delete
  6. Somehow in the US the phrase "shamburger" hasn't caught on to describe veg burgers but I love it! This pizza sounds super tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - the phrase shamburger hasn't taken off in Australia either - just can't think why - it is brilliant :-)

      Delete
  7. Love it - I never knew it was called a shamburger! I am so behind the times its not funny!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)