Thursday 26 July 2012

The Beachcomber - brunch at the beach

It was a busy weekend of birthdays, balloons and the beach. We were blessed with winter sunshine, good food and good company.  And who isn't cheered up by a blue sky over the shoreline, even if it is too cold to swim in the sea.  My brother Andy had wisely chosen to have his birthday brunch at The Beachcomber Cafe in St Kilda.  It has huge windows out onto the beach and a good selection of food.

The cafe was spacious.  Our party of 11 adults and 6 kids easily found room inside, though all the seating outside was busy.  One can only imagine that it must be bursting at the seams in summer.  Likewise the menu is large with something for everyone.  Our table of omnivores, vegetarians, celiacs and fussy eaters were all pleased.  On offer was gluten free toast, a big breakfast with lots of variety and a decent children's menu.

I chose the home made baked beans with toast.  I enjoyed them.  They were on the sweet side but the beans were soft and the sauce was generous.  Sylvia and I shared a Berry smoothie.  It was chock-full of mixed berries, frozen yoghurt and tropical juice.  Unlike many smoothies I encounter in cafes, it was fruity rather than milky and was pleasingly thick.

Sylvia had the pancakes with maple syrup off the children's menu.  She gobbled them up before I had a chance to even have a taste.  The waitress didn't have a problem with leaving the cream off her pancakes order or with changes to the big brekkie when E ordered.  And when the kids got restless, we took them outside to play in the sand.  It was lots of fun with sandcastles, cartwheels and seashells.

Also on the weekend I visited my mum who made an amazing lunch.  I must get the recipe to the above zucchini and eggplant bake from Ottolenghi.  She served it with green salad, cheese pastries and bread.  For afters there were fluffly buttermilk scones and a delicious layer cake warm out of the oven, sandwiched together with raspberry jam.  Not a bad effort after flying home from Ireland 3 days earlier.  After lunch, we visited my sister, Susie, in her lovely new house. 

Less sunny but equally enjoyable was our visit to the Edinburgh Castle Hotel late in the afternoon.  E was playing with his ukelele group.  They seem to have lots of fun.  There were cowboy costumes, kazoos and jokes.  And lots of lively music that got us up and dancing.

I ordered chips for the three of us.  They were hot and crispy.  In fact, if we hadn't had a fridge full of leftovers I might have even stayed for dinner.  But there was pizza, tofu nut balls and my mum's baking.  We headed out into the cold night for a long wait for the tram.  Oh well, at least there were no problems with navigation and parking!


The Beachcomber Cafe
10-18 Jacka Boulevard (near St Kilda Pier)
St Kilda Victoria 3182
(03) 9593 8233
www.beachcombercafe.com.au

11 comments:

  1. what a fun weekend! i love getting everyone together for a delicious meal! And WOW that zucchini and eggplant bake looks magnificent! yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GF happy tummy - getting together for a meal is fun - the main problems with a big group is trying to catch up with everyone

      Delete
  2. Looks a fab little spot and I have to confess to being more than a little jealous of all that glorious sunshine! Reckon the pancakes get my vote ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Chele - the sunshine lately has been amazing but we have had heavy rain today - not fun when I have had to get out and about during the day :-)

      Delete
  3. I love beach side cafes with plenty of indoor seating as well as outdoor - and of course a big menu. Beachcomber sounds wonderful and I like the look of your beans and Sylvia's pancakes (I'd have gobbled them up too!). A lovely weekend all up by the sounds of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - we don't live that close to the beach so a beachside cafe is a treat - esp with some welcome winter sunshine - the food wasn't really fancy but what they did, they did nicely

      Delete
  4. The weather was a real treat last weekend, sounds like you were in a perfect place to enjoy it. Love the look of those beans, what a shame they were a bit too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel - it has been lovely to see some sun in this wet wet winter - shame about the beans but they weren't horribly sweet so I enjoyed them anyway

      Delete
  5. If only my Mum cooked like that! Which one of Ottolenghi's is it out of? If you haven't got "Plenty" yet shame on you! Sounds a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam - my mum loves trying out new recipes, which is great for me - I think this might be out of plenty - I don't have a copy because it never seemed my sort of cooking but if this bake is from plenty I may reconsider - it was wonderful

      Delete
  6. Wow, that is an amazing lunch your mum put together--quite the baker! I see (again) where you get your baking talent from. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)