Monday 2 May 2011

Cheesy pancakes and a breakfast event

We had a lazy Sunday yesterday.  No rallying and ranting for May Day.  I only had enough energy to drag myself out of bed.  I did continue with my quest to find the ultimate cheese pancake recipe, which is timely, given that I am guest hosting Helen's Breakfast Club event. 

Pancakes first.  I tried to adapt an old recipe into cheese pancakes last year.  They were ok but not great.  I wanted them to be as cheesy and crispy as those I have eaten at the Pancake Parlour.  I have wondered about how they get the crust so cheesy.  It has occurred to me that maybe they just sprinkle melted cheese on the pancakes before they flip them the other side.  So that is what I did.

It made them crispy but not in the melting way of the Pancake Parlour.  However, what impressed me was the recipe I used.  It came from the Rose Bakery's Breakfast, Lunch and Tea cookbook (thanks Fran and John).  It is a cookbook with a beautiful green cover and lovely photos and text.  I love the introduction that encourages cooking with instinct rather than sticking religiously to the recipe.  I used a recipe that was intended to be for sweet pancakes but I drastically reduced the sugar and added cheese.  Midway through the batch I remembered a stump of chives in the fridge and added these too.

I'd love to say we sat down to a beautifully set tables with cloth napkins, vases of flowers and an array of side dishes but that is not my life right now.  We ate them hot from the fry pan as they were.  They were fantastic and fluffy.  Even Sylvia enjoyed them.  I couldn't resist drizzling a bit of maple syrup over a couple without chives.  The remainder were eaten cold with dinner.  While not as good cold, they were still rather tasty.   I think these would be great with some fried mushrooms and tofu scramble or even with a good tomato chutney.

Now onto the Breakfast Club blog event.  I have been a fan of this event which shares its name with a cool 1980s movie and encourages some interesting food first thing in the morning.  I am not a morning person but I do appreciate a good breakfast.  I grew up on cereal followed by toast with vegemite or peanut butter.  These days, as a vegetarian who doesn't like eggs much I find it harder to find savoury breakfast ideas.  I love the occasional sweet breakfast but it is just not as satisfying as a good savoury start.  Give me a good savoury pancake, bread, fritter, baked beans, muffin or fry-up.

When Helen of Fuss Free Flavours offered me the chance to choose a topic for the event I said it would have to be vegetarian and savoury.  So I announce that I will be guest host for

The Breakfast Club #11: Vegetarian and Savoury.

Breakfast Club: 
Because breakfast should be more interesting
than tea & toast or coffee & cereal!

How to participate.  Post a breakfast dish in May that is both vegetarian and savoury and just follow these guidelines:
  • Indicate in your post that it is a dish for the Breakfast Club event, use the logo if you can, and link to both this post and to the Breakfast Club page on Fuss Free Flavours http://fussfreeflavours.com/breakfast-club/.
  • Send the url of the post, your name, your blog name and a photo to gggiraffe07 AT yahoo DOT com DOT au.  Entries can also be sent to other events.
  • You may send in archived recipes, but they must be republished and the logo and links above added please.
  • If you use twitter please use #breakfastclub and tweet your entry.
  • Closing date is Saturday 28 May 2011.
Don't forget to check out Breakfast Club #10 Pancakes round up at Krithi's Kitchen.

It is also timely to remind you that when I said to Helen I would host, I forgot that it would overlap with my Neb at Nut Roast event.  I am still accepting nut roast posts until Thursday 5 May.  And if you want to send me a nut roast that is suitable for breakfast, well I will accept that for both events in the next few days.  Now there's a challenge!  Meanwhile, here are my cheese pancakes as an offering for the Breakfast Club #11.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: Butterscotch layer cake
This time two years ago: Mushroom and Lentil Ragout
This time three years ago: Planet of the Blogs
This time four years ago: Making friends with fennel

Cheese and Chive Pancakes
adapted from Breakfast Lunch and Tea from the Rose Bakery
makes about 18 pancakes small pancakes

3/4 cup plain white flour
1/2 cup plain wholemeal flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
75g (5 tbsp) butter
2 eggs
1 cup milk, or a little more
125 - 250g grated cheese
3 tbsp chives (optional)
extra butter for frying

Mix dry ingredient in a bowl.  Melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave.  Add milk and eggs.  Whisk lightly with a fork and pour into the dry ingredients.  Stir in 125g cheese and chives (if using).  You may need to drizzle in a little more milk - maybe 1-2 tablespoons.  It is a thick pancake batter but the cheese makes it just a bit too stodgy.

Heat a large non-stick frypan over medium heat.  Melt a small knob of butter and either brush with a silicone brush or use a wad of kitchen paper towel to spread it thinly across the frypan.  When butter is sizzling, drop a heaped desssertspoonful of batter onto the frypan and use the back of the spoon to spread the batter a little.  You will probably fit about 3-4 of these on the frypan.

Cook for a few minutes until bubbles appear and the batter starts to look cooked.  If you wish, at this point you could sprinkle a bit of grated cheese on the batter before you flip.  Use an eggflip or spatula to flip the pancake and cook for 1-2 minutes on the other side until golden brown.  If you have chosen to sprinkle cheese you can leave it a little longer because the cheese takes longer to get a golden brown hue but it will crisp up quickly.  Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.  Eat hot.

On the Stereo:
Son of Evil Reindeer: Reindeer Selection

14 comments:

  1. I just had an awesome savoury veggie breakfast - it was so good I even took a picture. Breakfast club done! Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! It's like grilled cheese pancakes! All you have to do is spread vegemite on the pancake and *then* put the cheese on top and you'd have tiger pancakes instead of tiger toast! Squee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely savoury breakfasts are what we have so I expect to send my entry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Savory pancakes - what a terrific idea. I've never thought of that. These would make a fantastic easy weeknight dinner. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great concept (the breakfast club) :) I agree that breakfast should be interesting, and am most definitely not a toast person (although I do like cereal!). Your savoury pancakes are an impressive creation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great concept (the breakfast club) :) I agree that breakfast should be interesting and am definitely not a toast person, although I do like cereal. Your savoury pancakes are an impressive creation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cheesy pancakes look so good! You're right, vegetarian brekky is harder than bacon and eggs. Love TBC reference - belatedly one of my favorite movies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Monica - sounds intriguing - looking forward to it

    Thanks Hannah - tiger pancakes sound great or in our house they would be cheeseymite pancakes - never thought of it like that but love it

    Thanks Archana - love to see what you eat for your savoury breakfasts

    Thanks Rivki - I have thought exactly the same thing about making them for dinner - esp as sylvia loves them

    Thanks Kari - glad you like the pancakes - I am not much of a cereal person - though have my phases - but I love a good solid slice of toast with something interesting

    Thanks Cakelaw - must see TBC again - great film but it has been a while - and I did think if I ate bacon I would probably eat some with my cheesy pancakes but would facon go with them???

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! When I was thinking of a theme, I also concerned a savoury theme. Glad to see we are on the same page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like the sound of cheese and chive pancakes Johanna, I will have to try them for Cooper. They might be a nice change for breakfast for him with baked beans. He generally has porridge with fruit for brekkie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, OMG!! Loved that movie and even more its soundtrack! Thanks for bringing back nice memories!
    Your cheesy pancakes look delicious,they are indeed very fluffy, I could not resist eating them directly in the pan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is my entry called "Cheese Puff Pastry"-
    http://redspice.in/2011/05/cheese-puff-pastry/

    ReplyDelete
  13. How have I never heard of cheese pancakes before??! YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe try throwing couple sprinkles of water to pan aft adding cheese and covering with lid to get melty.. tho nothing bad abt crispy cheese ):

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)