Thursday 23 July 2009

Morning Rush Muffins

Today I had a friend from work coming over. I was all prepared for her to visit in the afternoon. I had planned to bake for her but I needed to buy ingredients I was short on. Then I checked my emails and found I had not read her last email properly about her coming in the morning instead of the afternoon. She was to be here in about an hour. I shot into the shower and then I baked some muffins based on what was in the house.

I never even looked at a recipe but just threw in what was about. I was quite pleased with the results given that I had no cookbook propped up anywhere or note from the net to help me. The end of the box of raspberries from the freezer, an apple and some shredded coconut were the main players. The muffins weren’t too sweet but full of chunky texture and fruity flavour.

When Penny arrived I was dressing Sylvia and so she went into the kitchen, turned on the kettle and sniffed at the muffins with pleasure. We had a cuppa, and a plate of muffins while we caught up and Sylvia played on the rug. You just have to look at my photo of the plate when she left to see that my muffins were appreciated. They were very small so we had to have a few!

Raspberry, Apple and Coconut Muffins
Makes 28 mini muffins

½ cup raspberries, frozen or fresh
1 apple, peeled and grated
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp raw sugar
¼ cup buttermilk
1 egg

½ cup white self raising flour
½ cup wholemeal self raising flour
½ cup shredded coconut
1 tsp cinnamon

Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately and then mix together till just combined. (If you want the raspberries to stay whole then stir these in last - I didn't as I was hurrying and not thinking.) Spoon into prepared muffin pans and bake at 180 C for about 25 minutes til a skewer comes out cleanly. Cool on a wire rack.

On the Stereo:
(Mojo presents) Island Folk: Various Artists

10 comments:

  1. What a great clean-the-fridge recipe! Love the combination of apple and raspberry. And I always get such a kick out of seeing that you have the identical muffin paper cups way over there as we get here in Toronto!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound lovely and I bet the fruit kept them lovely and moist. Freinds are always the perfect excuse to bake something yummy.

    I've given you The Kreative Blogger award. Visit my blog for details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johanna, I love simple recipe like this for the morning (or very late night) baking. The ingredients can be found in the cupboard as well. That's the best thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Katie - they were quite moist with the fruit - although I did wonder if I should have had a little less flour - and thanks for the award - so kind!

    Thanks Flower

    Thanks Anh - it is so nice to have these ingredients around for when I am not organised as I would like to be

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ricki - that is nice to know we have the same cupcake papers - I bet yours empty as quickly as mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am *so* impressed that you made these up - and they sound amazing too! I love all the fruit, and that they're not too loaded with sugar and other nasties (well, yummies, but you know what I mean...)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice job. These sound lovely and the coconut is a nice touch. I've no doubt your friend enjoyed these. I tossed together some cherry blueberry muffins today that included almond flour and almond butter. All it does is rain here, so might as well bake and cook I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lysy - I love fruit in muffins and the more I experiment the more I get a feel for how to do it but am still on the learning curve

    Thanks Lisa - almond butter in muffins sounds interesting - hope you post these - glad to hear the rain is inspiring baking - hope the sun comes out soon so you can enjoy your baking outdoors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo yum I love the sound of combining apple, raspberry and coconut!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)