Tuesday 27 January 2015

Chocolate muesli (granola)

Muesli is something I am constantly promising myself I will make.  Why not!  It is easy and healthy.  Yet it is a long time since I made it.  Then my sister was making it on her visit to my mum's and I had seen a chocolate muesli recipe.  For the pedants, it was called granola but it has always been muesli to me, and I have a stubborn streak.

I love that Kate of No Meat and Three Veg was giving this muesli to family as Christmas gifts.  It is both practical and surprising.  I loved that the muesli gave me a healthy opportunity to use up some of the fruit and nuts leftover from Christmas baking. 

Mine had a few more seeds than Kate's because I see it as an opportunity to use some of the seeds and grain in the pantry.  And seeds are healthy.  I really want to try chia seeds in muesli but worried they would go gluggy with the liquids.  I also was fascinated by Joanne's use of dried quinoa in muesli.  Must experiment!

Chocolate is not something I normally enjoy at breakfast.  I make an exception for this muesli.  It is more intense than sweet.  I have had it for breakfast regularly lately (except when I forgot to take it on holiday). 

I love eating it with vanilla yoghurt.  The yoghurt picks up the cocoa and looks like a posh version of cocoa pops.  Remember they used to say "just like a chocolate milkshake only crunchy".  Well if I was to advertise this, I would say "just like a chocolate smoothie only crunchy"!

When I can, I pair it with fruit.  I have had apricots when in season, stewed plums and I think it would be great with slices of banana. It is also lovely as a snack with or without yoghurt.  I am coming to the end of the batch of muesli and hope I motivate myself to make another batch.  Meanwhile I am looking forward to breakfast tomorrow.


I am sending this to Kimmy of Rock My Vegan Socks for Healthy Vegan Fridays #31.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Tim Tam Brownies for Australia Day
Two years ago: Risoni with Chickpeas, Lemon, and Mint
Three years ago: A tale of three water bottles
Four years ago: Aussie Moroccan salad
Five years ago: In search of . . .
Six years ago: Apricot History and a Chutney
Seven years ago: In Praise of Cookbooks

Chocolate muesli
Adapted from Live.Love.Learn.Eat via No Meat and Three Veg

4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup seeds (I used sesame, hemp and pumpkin)
pinch of salt
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup sultanas

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl (leaving the dried fruit out if you don't want it really chewy).  Tip into 2 large lined roasting dishes* and bake at 180 C for about 20 to 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.  (If you left out the dried fruit, mix in when it is out of the oven.)  Cool and store in an airtight container.

NOTES:  I found that using one roasting dish made my mixture too crowded to dry out.  I ended up dividing it into 3 lots of baking each for an additional 5 minutes at the end but I think if I used 2 roasting dishes rather than one, it would work better.  The muesli crisps up as it cools so it is a bit tricky to judge how much to bake it but I guess it needs to be dry enough to crisp up. 

On the Stereo:
The Captain: Kasey Chambers

24 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this, as I usually stay away from flavored granolas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yummy - I don't buy much muesli off the shelf but occasionally like to make one

      Delete
  2. I so need to make this version. I've made one with cacoa nibs, really nice http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/cacao-nibs-raw-chocolate-and-cocoa.html
    but its nice to try other variations, I don't think i've ever had hemp in a muesli.
    So now I have two muesli recipes bookmarked - yours and one from The Kitchen Maid with bananas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - I made another batch today and added some cocoa nibs - they worked well - thanks for the tip - I should try the kitchen maid one because bananas go manky so easily

      Delete
  3. It does look very good. I think packaging it up to deliver as Christmas gifts is a lovely idea. I do think a little bit of chocolate at the beginning of the day, certainly gets the day off to a great start xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I did used to love cocoa pops as a child so maybe I am not as averse to chocolate in the morning as I thought

      Delete
  4. Oh I love your additions! I think I'll try that myself ... Now that some time has passed since Xmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - just made another batch and we are loving the stuff - I love putting in whatever is about

      Delete
  5. Adult cocoa pops - love it :) And permissible chocolate for breakfast - love that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - actually adult and child-friendly - sylvia has developed a taste for it - I think it is nice and healthy for her but was enjoying having it all to myself :-)

      Delete
  6. I love the look of this. Adding a little cocoa to your breakfast is actually quite healthy if its not the sugary kind. This looks delicious. I must get back into the habit of making my own muesli too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - this muesli is not too sweet and has no refined sugar so it is just the sort of healthy chocolate addition you mean! I have had a few periods of making my own muesli but they don't last - hope this one will for a while

      Delete
  7. Well I have never made muesli and it is a dang shame! Love your chocolate version...what could be better than having chocolate for breakfast?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - we have always had toasted and raw muesli - your comment made me check on the difference between muesli and granola - seems muesli is unbaked and granola is baked - I assume this is an American distinction that has been creeping into Australian lingo - I did see that a large corporation tried to patent the term 'granola' but it was thrown out of court.

      Delete
  8. I haven't made muesli yet.... but this looks lush! I love the first picture.... definitely one to try and get through the FG editors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - you were right - I didn't like the picture much but your comment made it give it a try with FoodGawker and they liked it - amazing!

      Delete
    2. Good job! Well done! They are a law unto themselves. Pics that I think are ok they reject and vice versa. But I am beginning to suss what they like and that pic of yours is definitely a winner!!

      Delete
  9. What is it about the after Christmas period and home made granola? I always get into making it then. I think it's having everyone at home during January :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I suspect it is all those fruit and nuts leftover and a desire to not make any more fruit cake or fruit mince!!!!!

      Delete
  10. Chocolate muesli sounds delicious and I like both ways that you served it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - you had me at chocolate haha. I have no problem eating chocolate at brekfast! Can't wait to try this out =) Thanks for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays. I have pinned your recipe to the Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - if you like chocolate at breakfast I think you will love it

      Delete
  12. Your chocolate muesli looks fantastic, I love eating it with coconut yoghurt and fresh fruits.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)