Saturday 27 December 2014

Christmas Reflections, Food and Presents

And like that it is over!  I hope everyone had a great Christmas and a relaxing break.  Our Christmas was two days of festive mayhem, family get-togethers and feasting.

Sylvia was agog with excitment on Christmas Eve.  We let her stay up and see some of the Carols by Candlelight on the telly.  She loved it even though they don't do much in the way of traditional songs early in the night.

Then with spiced ginger beer and a chocolate mince tart left out for Santa, she dropped quickly to sleep.

Meanwhile I was giftwrapping some last minute foodie gifts as I continued to watch the Carols.  French lavender salt and some apricot, nectarine and vanilla jam (that I will write about later).

Sylvia woke me at some ungodly hour to tell me what Santa had brought her.  Fortunately we both went back to sleep.

In the morning we opened presents and had cranberry nut rolls with jarlsberg cheese for breakfast before heading down to my parents house in Geelong for more presents and food.

My mum had some fancy cucumber boats with hummus and carrot for canapes.  My dad and his many helpers handed out presents.  Mostly accurately.  My brother Dave accidentally opened a present that was meant for my nephew Dash!  Oops!

I loved some quirky gift tags.  Sylvia got one with chocolate in it and one that was actually made out of a candy cane cookie cutter.

Sylvia had been asking for a Frozen doll all December.  Yet it was the hairdresser head and the blue ukelele that she really loved.

Here is my Christmas dinner.  I made nut roast as usual and had lots of vegies.  Mum almost forgot the cauliflower cheese.  I was glad she didn't!  She also made a delicious sangria to drink with dinner.

Sylvia managed a mouthful of nut roast.  Her preference is for the roast potatoes.  But most of all she loves mum's pavolva.  When it came to dessert I had to have pudding with custard and some caramel tart.

Most of my siblings were off to in-laws after lunch and we relaxed.  By evening we were still full and just snacked on some leftovers.

One of the difficulties of celebrating Christmas in Australia is trying to enjoy the lights when the sun doesn't set until almost 9pm.  Geelong has pulled all stops out with Christmas lights this year.  My dad took us out at about 8.30 to try and see lights before Sylvia was too tired.  It was too light.  And it was raining.  D'oh!

We were determined to see the lights and stood under our umbrellas to watch the light show on the Geelong Town Hall.  It is spectacular with kangaroos bouncing, fireplace, candles, art deco, snowflakes, Christmas trees, candy, and a gingerbread house.  It went so long it was dark by the time it finished.  Sylvia was cold and tired by the end and dropped off quickly when we got home.

On Boxing Day my dad's family came over and we had more food and presents.  Quiche and salads and roast potatoes.  Dessert was more caramel tart, pavlova, mince pies, panforte, stollen, and cheesecake.  I was so full I didn't get to try my mum's Christmas fruit cake after dinner.

Here is the panforte and stollen.  My mum sent us home with lots of leftovers.

Here are just some of the presents we all received.  You can see we were well and truly spoilt.  And we have lots of reading and DVDs to enjoy.  And I am curious to try Sylvia's new ice cream maker.

Today is a quiet day to relax after all the festive craziness.  While I write this E and Sylvia are watching Santa versus the Martians and eating Pringles crisps.  Yet is is just that sort of day!

17 comments:

  1. all very lovely and the Geelong lights look wonderful. I love the doggie shaped shortbread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veganopoulous - the geelong christmas lights were great once it got dark - I wanted to go back and see the christmas tree in the dark but sylvia was too tired.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful family Christmas. I love the top photo of the girls by the tree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - I love that photo too (sylvia tells me she was reading out the labels to her younger cousin - she was very proud of that as she would not have been able to read them out at the same time last year)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas. My brother and I used to wake our parents at an ungodly hour too to tell them what we received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - so did we - and my parents always looked very tired

      Delete
  4. That cake is absolutely beautiful Johanna! I have to admit that I pestered my parents for a Barbie Fashion Face one year. It looks very similar to the hairdresser head! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I was quite smitten with a friend's barbie fashion face as a child but I never remember the name of it - unfortunately we left it at my parents and sylvia has been pining!

      Delete
  5. Your Xmas sounds wonderful! All the food looks amazing. My Sylvia also received quite a few Frozen products :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - it is amazing how much frozen products there were in the stores this year!

      Delete
  6. It looks like you had a beautiful Christmas. I love the sound of your nut roast. And that Christmas cake looks gorgeous xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chalrie - I hope to get a piece of the cake - and I highly recommend the nut roast - I make it every year and it is so easy when I am busy on christmas eve

      Delete
  7. enjoy the rest of the festive break x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like a lovely day! Your tree looks beautiful and I love that your cranberry nut rolls have become a Christmas staple. Your nut roasts always appeal too and the lights were wonderful. Happy Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I really love the cranberry nut rolls - e had the last of them yesterday - I put some in the freezer this year. Maybe one year I will make a sourdough version

      Delete
  9. Oh it looks like you had a wonderful holiday! Love the gifts Sylvia received - especially the blue ukelele - I'm eyeing that up and thinking of getting one for myself. I've been really wanting to learn to play.
    The food looks amazing! Glad you had a great holiday =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)