Monday 18 September 2017

Cashew crema, avocado coleslaw and tostados

Last night I slept for 13 hours.  I should do that more often.  Sadly, most nights I get a lot less sleep.  Fortunately there are other ways to cope with a busy day: simple meals, cooking in bulk and shortcuts.  And the support of friends and family.  I made these tostados for dinner a couple of weekends back while a good friend had Sylvia staying for a sleepover.

I had found a packet of tostado shells in the supermarket and had all sorts of visions of what I might do with them, including an interesting bean or corn topping I saw on a blog but never noted and could not remember.  Finally practicalities took over.  Firstly I had to use my packet of chilli lime carnitas jackfruit.  This was a shortcut that gave me a go at cooking jackfruit without feeling overwhelmed.

I found a neglected avocado hidden in the corner of the fridge.  It had been there so long I was grateful to rescue any flesh but it wasn't enough enough for a guacamole.  I had seen a recipe for coleslaw with avocado mayo recently (while browsing magazines in the newsagents) so I turned it into a simple small coleslaw. 

For a creamy topping I found a simple cashew crema.  I love having a high power blender that means I can skip the soak the cashews.  I am not familiar with crema.  I think it is like sour cream.  Which I don't have much.  So I am not sure I got the seasoning quite right.  It was a nice topping for the tostadas.

E and I enjoyed this simple dinner.  It was quite unlike our usual Mexican meals.  Though it was quite messy as with so many of our Mexican meals.  I am still a little undecided with how much I would like to experiment further with jackfruit but it is quite a fascinating meat substitution.

I am sending these to Soups, Salads and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen

More Mexican-inspired meals on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Mexicale pie
Mexican lasagne with corn tortillas (gf, v)
Nachos with refried lentils with garlic scapes (gf, v) 
Oaxaca tacos (with potato and cheese) (gf)
Super easy vegie layered tortilla casserole

Cashew Crema
Adapted fro Thyme and Love

1/2 cup raw cashews*
1/2 cup soy milk
1 tbsp water or as needed
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt flakes
1/2 tsp cider vinegar

Blend in a high power blender, scraping down a couple of times until smooth.  (*If you don't have a high power blender you would need to soak the cashews.)

Colelsaw with avocado dressing
Serves 2

2 and 1/2 tbsp avocado flesh
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp mustard
pinch salt
1 cup finely sliced cabbage
1/2 carrot, grated
1/3 red capsicum finely sliced

Mash avocado flesh with lemon juice, mustard and salt.  Stir into vegies and serve.

On the Stereo:
Tracy Chapman: self titled album

9 comments:

  1. Ah good night sleep is something i yearn for these days and it only comes at the w/e. Glad you got some rest.

    I made what i think were actually tostadas a week or so back https://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/purple-green-french-beans-carrot-and.html
    I like how you have used jackfruit here, as it is something i would certainly do in the future. I have been looking for interesting coleslaw recipes and this appeals with avocado which i pick up now and again when reduced. And liking the cashew crema, I will have to remember that the next time i want soured cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks Devine, and what a great way to use up leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious! I wouldn't have thought it was a meal you put together with things you needed to use up.
    I just started playing with jackfruit myself. I think it's a really interesting meat sub.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked up some tostada shells last weekend, but didn't have a plan for them now. I've only cooked jackfruit a few times, but it's a really great ingredient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 13 hours!!!! How amazing. I am glad for you and a little envious :-)

    This meal looks like a perfect complement to being well rested, or tired - delicious either way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love coleslaw and this looks so interesting with the cashew Crema ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good you got some good sleep in. ;-) You tostados look fabulous. I especially like the looks of the coleslaw with avocado dressing. Yum! Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays this week--it's always nice to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cashews and avocado coleslaw - just my sort of thing. As is getting 13 hours of sleep, though I'm pretty sure I'm more likely to make the crema and coleslaw than I am to get that much sleep. Still, we can dream right?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 13 hours sleep? Wow! I wish!
    The Tostadas look lovely..... I think you should definitely experiment with a jackfruit version. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)