Monday 18 January 2016

Chokito fudge

Today I want to encourage you to celebrate underrated Aussie chocolate bars.  Such as the Chokito.  Honestly, I get worried some days when they are not available in my local supermarket.  Not that I am looking to buy.  Just checking that they are still in circulation!  So I created a fudge filled with chunks of Chokito.  It is sort of like a fudgy crispy fudge.

For those who aren't familiar with it, here is what it looks like.  A bar of fudge smothered in rice crisps and milk chocolate.  Yes it is sweet but oh so good.  If you are a fan of condensed milk, then this is for you.  Unless you don't live in Australia, in which case you might not be able to find them easily.  Although according to Wikipedia they are also sold in Switzerland and Brazil.

When I was young we didn't eat chocolate bars a lot but there were moments when we could choose one.  At such times we all knew our favourite bars.  For me it was Chokito.  Strangely enough I have very few vivid memories of it but I have one: as a teenager I had a minor operation and I remember waking from the anaesthetic and being greeted by my family bringing me a Chokito.  It cheered me up.

I made this fudge upon a whim.  I know that January is supposedly the month of detox and dieting after festive excesses.  Yet that is just not happening when every weekend is another birthday celebration and at the end of the month is both Burns Night and Australia Day.  I guess we are still in party mode.

It is also the school holidays which meant that this was a fun activity on a day around the house.  Sylvia was beside herself with excitement at chopping up Chokitos.  She was also very excited when I pulled out the couches and mopped the day before.  

And what kid - big or small - could not be excited at fudge that involved chopping up chocolate bars, melting condensed milk and chocolate, and sprinkling fudge chunks.

In fact we were so excited that we could not wait for the fudge to be firm enough to slice.  Which might mean we each had a piece of soft fudge.  It was so very yummy.  Then I put it into the freezer so it got firm quicker.

I could highly recommend putting a Chokito into your fudge.  However I understand not everyone loves it as much as I do or has access to it.  So I can also recommend adding other chocolate bars to this fudge or even veganising it with vegan chocolate, vegan condensed milk and vegan chocolate bars.  Or you could just be really healthy and enjoy this fudge on my blog vicariously.  Which I think I probably need to do in future!

I am sending this fudge to We Should Cocoa which is hosted by Lovely Appetite and about simple recipes this month.

More fudge on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Black bean cacao fudge (gf, v)
Caramel fudge (gf)
Chocolate cashew fudge (gf, v)
Chocolate layered fudge (peppermint or caramel) (gf)
Hedgehog fudge with dried cherries
Mostly raw double layer fudge (gf, v)
Nutella fudge

More fun fudge elsewhere online:
Chocolate Crunchie Fudge - Jacqueline Meldrum on baby.co.uk
Easy Tim Tam Fudge - Kidspot
Mars Bar Fudge - Create Bake Make
Peppermint Crisp Fudge - Thermobliss
Tim Tam Milo Fudge - Bake Play Smile

Chokito Fudge
Makes lots of small pieces

300g dark chocolate (I used one with 50% cocoa solids)
300g condensed milk
25g butter
3 Chokito bars
85g fudge chunks, for topping

Line a 15cm square cake tin with baking paper.  Chop Chokito bars into chunks and set aside.  Melt chocolate, condensed milk and butter.  Mix in Chokito chunks.  Tip into prepared tin and smooth on top with the back of a spoon. Scatter fudge chunks over the top and lightly press into the fudge.  Leave in the fridge to firm up (or put it in the freezer if you are impatient).  Cut into small squares.  Keep in an airtight tub in the fridge or at room temperature.

On the stereo:
The Essential "Weird Al" Yankovic

10 comments:

  1. These are a dream come true!! How sad that I can't get my hands on them at the moment. :( Whenever I visit Australia though, I'll remember to think of you and buy some! You have a very lovely blog; just started following you! :)

    VEGETARIAN COURTESY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adi - welcome - they would be good with your chocolate bar of choice if you are feeling indulgent!

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of Chokito makes me wonder what I am missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks shaheen - I am very partial to chokito but was surprised to read someone say they were so sweet - I think I like the fudgy centre but cannot think of a uk equivalent

      Delete
  3. Chokito was never my favourite chocolate bar, but I still welcome the nostalgia that seeing it brings! I do hope they don't get rid of the old classics.

    This sounds like a novel take on fudge and I like your ideas for vegan equivalents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I wanted to do chokito fudge because I love chokito and there are lots of other Aussie products being made into sweet food on blogs but chokito is not something I have seen used - but I think everyone has their fave bar and there are some interesting vegan bars that I would like to think could work.

      Delete
  4. I don't know Chokito, although after your enthusiastic appraisal I would like to. If I'll ever see one, I'll definitely try. Maybe I should make this fudge... And feel free being on party mode, not everybody has to be detoxing in January... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your fond memories of this chocolate bar. I also like that your parents only gave you them as a special treat (mine gave them to me all the time which made it normal and I didn't appreciate it and now have a huge sweet tooth :/).
    We don't have chokito's here, so I'll try veganizing this fudge and adding a chocolate bar =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps. "I know that January is supposedly the month of detox and dieting after festive excesses."
      Ha! January can be just like any other month. I don't think people should go all crazy with detoxing and dieting ;) Enjoy food, enjoy life. Find balance. Seems like a good plan to me.

      Delete
  6. I've never heard of Chokito...... But the fudge sounds lush!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)