Wednesday 6 May 2015

Smoky bulgar chilli non carne

We love Mexican meals in our house because it often means lots of little dishes.  Sylvia calls it take-what-you-want and she loves it because usually she can find something to eat.  E loves anything spicy.  So on E's birthday, I made a big pot of chilli non carne and lots of little dishes around it.

I have posted lots of chilli non carne recipes on my blog already.  Yet I don't have a favourite recipe so I went hunting another.  I found one at the Vegan Recipe Club

It wasn't so different to many other recipes I have shared.  I liked that it had lots of vegies, smoky flavours and the richness of nut butter and cocoa.  I made a few changes based on what I had available but one major change I made was to use bulgar wheat and brown lentil rather than vegie mince because that is not my sort of thing.

It was a lovely thick substantial stew.  I served it with lettuce, tomatoes, grated cheese, guacamole, yoghurt, tortillas and corn chips.  E was most pleased.  We all enjoyed our dinner.  The chilli non carne lasted quite a few nights. It was also really good with rice and vegies.  Just the thing for a busy week.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Rhubarb cake, random notes, and long service leave
Two year ago: In search of (4)
Three years ago: Rhubarb and strawberry crumble
Four years ago: Tea Towels of Scotland
Five years ago: Treacle Scones for Remembrance
Six years ago: GYO Bill’s Broccoli Salad
Seven years ago: MM Roasted Vegetable Vindaloo
Eight years ago: Waiter waiter there’s a shark in my chilli non carne

Smoky bulgar chilli non carne
Adapted from Vegan Recipe Club
Serves 6 - 8

1/2 cup bulgar wheat
3/4 cup boiling water

1-2 tbsp neutral oil (I used rice bran oil)
3 thin leeks (or 1 onion), chopped
1 green capsicum, chopped
1/2 red capsicum, chopped
1 medium zucchini, diced
handful of button mushrooms, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed

1 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp cashew butter

2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1 tsp vegan stock powder
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 tbsp hot sauce (chipotle)
1 tsp chilli paste
250g/4oz sweetcorn, rinsed and drained
400g tin of kidney beans
400g tin of brown lentils
Seasoning to taste

Soak bulgar wheat in 3/4 cup of boiling water and set aside.

Fry leeks for 4 to 5 minutes over medium heat in a stockpot.  Add capsicums, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic.  Fry another 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.  Stir in cocoa, smoked paprika and cumin for about a minute or until fragrant.  Stir in cashew butter until combined.

Add tomatoes, stock powder, puree, not sauce, chilli paste and soaked bulgar wheat (with any remaining water).  Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.  Add corn, kidney beans and lentils.  Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes to warm through.  Check seasoning and adjust to taste.

On the stereo:
Built on Glass: Chet Faker

23 comments:

  1. I love this kind of food so much! Chili is the best stew ever, especially when it's smokey. What a great birthday dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mihl - I am very partial to smoky flavours esp when cooking mexican food

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious! I'd love the spice but would probably have to reduce it for Mr Bite...even with that, though, this sounds more exciting than most veggie chilli recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - it wasn't overly spicy - I don't like too much chilli in mine but it was full of flavour.

      Delete
  3. I would love this - I adore Mexican food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chilli con carne is such a great family meal. I love Sylvia's 'take what you want' idea - that's a wonderful way to eat. I think this looks like excellent comfort food and there's definitely something here for everyone xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I wish I had the energy to do lots of 'take what you want' meals but my energy usually is more a one pot stew level :-)

      Delete
  5. This is a very comforting and delicious dish. We don't have Mexican food at home that much, really should though, this dish might make it onto the kitchen table soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny - we have Mexican fairly regularly because E and I love it and Sylvia loves the cheese and carbs component - hope you have some mexican soon

      Delete
  6. Come to think of it I can see why take what you want meals would appeal enormously to kids! We sort of had that-we just helped ourselves from plates on the table so we didn't have to eat everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - one of the best cafes catering to kids I ever visited was the botanic gardens in edinburgh where they had lots of little snack packs and kids could choose a few of them (cheese, carrot sticks, crackers etc). I grew up with my mum serving us an 'eat what I give you' dinner so I think the take what you want philosophy is not quite at the centre of my idea of serving meals - but I would like to do more of them if I had the energy. They remind me of American families digging a large serving spoon into bowls of mashed potato and peas

      Delete
  7. How I wish I could sit at the table with my family, everyone tucking in to something like this! But no, it's just me (which is fine, I can eat their shares!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - it is nice to all sit down to a meal together but I know that some of the dishes are really for me and even E doesn't touch them but as long as we all have some of the dishes that is fine.

      Delete
  8. I really like the adaptability of meals like that - one pot meals for when you're busy, mezze style for when you've got more time in the kitchen. I love putting a spoon or two of peanut butter into chilli. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - that is a really nice way to think of it. I would do peanut butter in stews more if Sylvia wasn't allergic but other nut butters seem to add that extra richness and creaminess too.

      Delete
  9. Chilli is a favourite in our house too!
    It is a shame we can't eat bulgar anymore.... it has such a lovely wholesome, full texture.
    I have never added nut butter though..... will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I don't eat bulgar wheat much - I think I take it for granted as I would probably miss it if I was gluten free too.

      Delete
  10. This sounds delicious. I'm a big fan of lots of little plates in the middle that everyone helps themselves from as we have lots of different tastes in our family. I suspect this will make it onto the meal rotation in the near future too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - lots of little plates are good for allowing for different tastes and it is good for the kids to have to decide

      Delete
  11. I always a love a big bowl of chili! I've never made it with bulgur, but sounds like it adds great texture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - I got the idea from Alison Holst (a cookbook author guru of my early vegetarian days) - it really seems to add a nice contrasting texture and substance to a chili

      Delete
  12. Oh yum! I love Mexican food - it's my fav. I really like making veg chili, especially with cocoa powder. I love the thought of adding nut butter to it - great idea =) And I always just make mine with veggies & beans, I want to try adding lentils. Awesome supper! I hope E had a good birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)