Wednesday 1 April 2015

Green Smoothie and random thoughts

It seems every blogger has a green smoothie.  I have often put spinach into my usual smoothies and tried others.  I keep telling myself I will get into smoothies with kale.  Yet lately it is hard enough to even put spinach in, given that Sylvia is so fussy about colour.  I saw this delicious green smoothie on Coconut and Berries recently and it niggled at me until I had the ingredients.

I made the smoothie after school.  Sylvia pleaded for me to make one without spinach and add the spinach after I poured hers.  I remained firm.  And she drank it.  Perhaps she was just hungry.  Maybe she will never drink another green smoothie.  But I was very happy.

I was even happier because it tasted so good.  Healthy, velvety and not too heavy.  I made a few changes to the recipe.  I didn't have coconut water but I did have limes.

The recipe comes from a cookbook called Greens 24/7 by Jessica Nadel.  I highly recommend you check out the review on Coconut and Berries with Emma's stunning photos to see some of the other tempting recipes in the book.

And now here are a few random moments.
  • Sylvia recently had a rock star dress up day at school.  She was planning to go as Elsa from Frozen until the night before when I suddenly heard she was going as Katie Perry.  As did most of her class.  Fortunately she had her costume sorted.
  • It seems she is not quite over Frozen as she was very happy to see the short movie before Cinderella yesterday.  I loved how Elsa's dress became green.  Elsa's blue dress has launched blue aisles in toy stores and department stores where usually they would just be pink.  I sort of hope this dress might launch green aisles.  Perhaps I am just being fanciful.
  • E and I had dinner at a communal table in Lygon Street on Monday.  We got talking to a guy who rode his bike to the cafe for dinner every Monday and then rode home again.  He had another regular dinner spot and a regular coffee spot.  Meanwhile we were in Lygon St to see Big Eyes, an interesting movie about feminism, art and family.

I am sending the green smoothie to Shaheen at Allotment to Kitchen for Eat You Greens event.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Sweet potato, zucchini and olive quesadillas
Two year ago: Sushi with sticky walnuts and edamame
Three years ago: Spinach crackers and hummus for a potluck
Four years ago: WHB: Plum and Cinnamon Oat Slice
Five years ago: WHB Easter nut roast and reflections
Six years ago: Marvellous Mars Bar Slice
Seven years ago: Seduced by Strawberries and a Pudding

Green Smoothie
Adapted from Greens 24/7 via Coconut and Berries
serves 2

1 sweet apple (e.g. Royal Gala, Fuji)
1 kiwi fruit
½ Lebanese cucumber
½ banana
juice of 1/2 lime
1 handful baby spinach
1 cup (250 ml) water
1 small handful of ice cubes

Blend in a high speed blender until smooth.

On the Stereo:
Prism: Katie Perry

17 comments:

  1. LOL - I had no idea Katy was so popular among kids as young as Sylvia. I would like to see Big Eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - it took me by surprise too - but now I had heard Katie Perry more than I would ever desire! And I recommend Big Eyes. Lots of nice details about 1950s and 1960s San Fransisco

      Delete
  2. Smoothies have never appealed to me. There are so many places in malls or lunch counters that have them on the menu. As a way to get veggies into kids, I guess there's a reason for them. Or if you really like that blend of flavors... does it actually taste good?

    Sorry to be negative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae - honestly I don't have smoothies when I am out much unless it is a place I know does really good food but the ones I make at home are great - it is the usual thing - if you make them at home according to your taste they are wonderful but I find the ones at cafes can be too sweet and milky for me. Interestingly I read an article on smoothie recently saying they are great but people need to be careful as they can be packed with calories. So they are not necessarily health food! So in answer to your question, there are lots of variations in smoothies - you might find one you love but they are not the be all and end all!

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the smoothie - I love how fresh and light that one is. I actually don't often add greens to my smoothies, I guess I just don't feel the need since I eat a lot of green veg anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma - I like to add some extra greens to my smoothie sometimes but I also eat them in other ways so it just seems a nice extra when I do.

      Delete
  4. I only tried my first green smoothie this week, I'm clearly a bit behind the trend! I don't know what was putting me off, I think it might have been the colour thing too - I love eating green veg, but couldn't really get my head around drinking them. I massively enjoyed it though, so I'm glad me and Sylvia both got to break our duck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - the colour thing is a bit weird but I prefer a vibrant green smoothie to the murky ones where berries and kale get combined (have done a few of them myself). Glad you enjoyed it! I suspect you might be more likely to embrace them now than Sylvia :-)

      Delete
  5. Katy Perry or Elsa! Now that is a young girl's dilemma if ever I saw one. I like green smoothies as long as there is some apple or fruit in them. Some of the more hard core ones without fruit aren't as palatable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - the idea of smoothies that are full of vegies is not quite appealing to me - always have to have some fruity sweetness.

      Delete
  6. I still haven't hopped on the green smoothie wagon yet either...but you make a convincing argument with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - it is just an occasional thing for me but worth trying

      Delete
  7. I have to admit, I can't quite bring myself to put spinach let alone kale into a smoothie....... Lovely colour though!
    I am eternally grateful that my daughter didn't get into Frozen at all...... Katy Perry sounds much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - I am the opposite with Frozen and Katy Perry. Sylvia's first movie at the cinema was Frozen so I think it was a special one - so spectacular on the big screen and I think it is better than so many other kids movies that bore me or anger me that I don't mind the Frozen obsession - it is on the wane but there is a sequel being made. But I am not so sure about Katy Perry - some of her songs and outfits don't seem appropriate for little girls. It is tough with all the marketing thrown at little girls with all sorts of dubious messages - and I know Frozen has its fair share of these!

      Delete
  8. Oooh I like the sneaky way of getting veggies in there with the cucumber. I tend to put spinach or kale in my smoothies, but tend to leave out the veggies - this sounds quite good though. I'm sure Sylvia will eventually grow to love green smoothies... maybe Elsa's green dress will help ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - I thought the cucumber lightened the smoothie - was my first time using it in a smoothie and I liked it. Ooh wouldn't that be great if the elsa green dress took off and the kids were all drinking green elsa smoothies :-)

      Delete
  9. Your so right,every blogger seems to have a green smoothie - I recently indulged in my first ever made with vegetables too, it was surprisingly quite lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)