Friday 13 February 2015

Chocolate lime avocado mousse

It seems a good thing to share a chocolate mousse the day before Valentines Day.  Yet we all know that chocolate is not just for Valentines.  Nor always romantic.  When I served this to E he told me it is too rich.  Which I didn't mind.  More for me!  Though not all for me because Sylvia quite liked it.

The recipe is based on Ricki Heller's Chocolate avocado pate that I have been meaning to make for years.  She first posted it in 2008 but luckily reminded me of it in her suggestions for 40+ Sugar-Free  Sweets for Valentine's Day.  Suddenly there I was with ripe avocado (with a spoonful taken out of it) and chocolate.  All I lacked was orange.  Which is where the lime stepped in.

I also bought some gorgeous small wine glasses at an op shop recently.  We took in a bag of donations and walked away with a bag of purchases!  I rarely drink wine these days.  I fell in love with them.  So I justified the purchase by dreaming of filling them with something like chocolate mousse or fruit parfait. 

Ricki says to put the pate in the fridge overnight and the turn it out and slice it up.  That was a bit fiddly for me so we just ate it straight from the glass.  I agree with E that it is very rich.  Yet I really loved it. 

Sylvia gamely tried some, didn't freak out when I told her that the mystery ingredient was avocado, and kept on eating.  It was too rich for her to each much of it.  She guessed that cranberry was the slightly sour fruity flavour.  Close but no candy.  She was tasting lime.

Eating chilled chocolate avocado mousse was just the right way to end to a lovely day.  I had been planning to sign up for membership to the zoo and found that a friend was going on the same day so we wandered about with her and her kid and saw the talk on the seals.  After school we took the kids to the outdoor pool and it felt like we were on holidays.  It had been forecast to be a stinking hot day but it was just perfectly warm with a cool breeze.  It was all good, even the mousse.

My only problem with the mousse was what to call it.  Ricki called it a pate but you don't eat a pate from a glass.  It was like a mousse before I chilled it and more like thick soft fudge once cold.  I am not up on the chilled desserts lingo.  So I am sticking with mousse.  But I agree with Shakespeare that a rose by any name would smell as sweet!  Sometimes it is better not to sweat over nomenclature.  Just eat it!

I am sending this mousse to:

Chocolate lime avocado mousse
Adapted from Ricki Heller
serves 4 (or more)

1 small ripe avocado
3 tbsp maple syrup
juice of 1 medium lime
150g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)

Blend avocado, maple syrup and lime juice.  Melt chocolate and add to avocado mixture.  Blend until smooth.  Spoon into small glasses and chill in the fridge. 

On the Stereo:
Uptown Brown (self titled)

14 comments:

  1. It looks like it has a really nice texture to it! And good on Sylvia for trying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so yummy and fudgy! And the lime is a great idea. I love avocado in chocolate things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went quickly over to have a looky at Ricki's pate as the title got me curious, but agree with you it is not really a pate, so love your renamed version and with the lime too. I actually had a 'Pudology' brand dairy free chocolate pud today, it was very moussey and then I find your entry, what a funny coincidence, but they did not have avocado in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, so glossy and smooth! So impressive x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely mousse. It looks wonderfully rich and creamy. I have wondered about avocado mousse, but never got round to making it. Looks very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this sounds like a great dessert! Love the pretty wine glasses (mine are used for smoothies more than wine haha). So glad to see you will be sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays, I was hoping you would =D
    The lime sounds like a great addition to chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I've always called chocolate avocado desserts 'pudding', but prefer 'mousse' for appeal :-) I like the lime twist too! This sounds super rich but super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I have wanted to try this paleo style mousse for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't deal with lemon/lime/orange with chocolate (unless it's white chocolate), but choc avo mousse is always a winner (I mean, apart from the citrus, so... ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays Party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I can't wait to see what you share next time!
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your version looks fabulous! So fluffy and airy. :) So glad you liked it (even though it IS very rich. . .which is why I slice it thinly!). Looks beautiful in the new wine glasses, though. :) Thanks so much for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had an avocado-chocolate mousse before, it was pretty good! Your mousse looks rich and decadent! Last week I tried a garbanzo-based hummus with cacao and coconut sugar…which was weird, but tasted like a fudgy ganache.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks lovely! I've not made a choc avocado mouse for years - I am feeling inspired. Thanks for linking up to ExtraVeg too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)