Wednesday 7 January 2015

Tropical orange and carrot smoothie

The weather forecasters say it will be 35 C.  We had to cancel a day at the zoo because it is too hot.  The pool is looking more likely.  It is just the sort of day to enjoy a smoothie for breakfast.  I usually make smoothies with milk and oats.  But right now all that summer fruit is too tempting and needs to be used.

We had oranges leftover from Christmas morning, lots of apricots from my brother's tree and lots of passionfruit just because I bought a bag of them. 

Adding the carrot was inspired.  A friend who has been doing a low carb diet told me that it make carrots taste like lollies.  They taste good to me and I still love the novelty of my high speed blender making fast work of them.

The smoothie was so delicious.  Thick and creamy but a little tropical too.  Not too sweet.  Sylvia wouldn't touch it.  Probably just as well.  I only made enough to fill one glass.  And I wanted it all.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Mixed berry jam
Two years ago: Edinburgh Cafe: Scottish Storytelling Centre
Three years ago: Christmas cheese muffins, icy poles and the beach
Four years ago: On being a vegetarian
Five years ago: New Year's Raspberry Punch
Six years ago: Summer Fruit Salad, Darling!
Seven years ago: Summer salsa and quesadillas

Tropical orange and carrot smoothie
Serves 1

juice of 2 oranges
1/2 carrot, thinly chopped
1/3 banana, chopped
pulp of 2 small passionfruit
1 small apricot, stoned and halved
small handful of ice

Blend in a high speed blender for about 30 seconds.

On the Stereo:
Different Class: Pulp

22 comments:

  1. Happy 2015 to you, Johanna!

    Today is going to be a hot day again!!! *sweat* Totally agree with you that drinking smoothies is a great refreshing idea :D

    Btw, I have 4 sets of Alfa One rice bran oil prizes to be given away for Jan 2015. Hope that you can be one of the lucky winners!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Zoe - will try and get over to look at the giveaway

      Delete
  2. It looks really good I must say! I might want to add pineapple too if truth be told :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I agree pineapple would be perfect - not sure why I haven't bought any all summer but you might just have given me the nudge I need

      Delete
  3. I'd rather drink this, than the cup of black coffee that I am drinking now, more interesting in colour and flavour. Seek shade and enjoy the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - I've never got the taste for coffee so I would prefer a smoothie too :-)

      Delete
  4. Looks delicious. I used to go to a cafe near my parents that did wonderful fresh carrot juice. It sounds silly but it was so fresh and really intensely carroty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - I used to go to a place that did apple carrot and beetrrot juice and this made me think of it. I understand carroty very well :-)

      Delete
  5. Oh yum. I love carrot juice! One of those times it's nice to have a fussy child so you can have it all for yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - yep I do appreciate the fussy child sometimes :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm with you all on the carrot juice too - my favourite from juice bars (too lazy to make my own any more!) is carrot apple n ginger - YUM!
    Never had passionfruit in a smoothie, bet it's a tasty addition.
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane - I don't have a juicer but I was pleased I could add some carrot into my smoothie - I do love someone else making juice for me too (just not always the price)

      Delete
  7. This is so vibrant! Both in flavor and in hue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must make a mental note to 'make more smoothies'! Every time I see one, I drool! Love the addition of carrot and and very envious of the availability of fresh apricots. Perfect for all that hot weather (can you send some heat over here please?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - smoothies is something Sylvia usually loves which is one reason we make them a lot (made a lovely one today of watermelon, plum, orange and passionfruit because we ate all our apricots so I want some too now!)

      Delete
  9. That sounds so lovely! I do love the colour of it and any cocktail/smoothie with passionfruit in it is a winner for me. I think you were wise in avoiding the zoo on the 35C day! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I think passionfruit is brilliant in smoothies - at least sylvia is not a hater of passionfruit though she can go hot and cold on them. I imagine a lot of the animals would be indoors on a really hot day though I always find the seal enclosure soothing and cool at the zoo

      Delete
  10. 35°C? Yikes! I hope it cools down a bit soon!
    I love the combination of carrots and oranges, but the addidtion of passion fruit makes this smoothie sound spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mihl - it is much cooler now - so cool that I couldn't dry my washing today - oh the irony! I agree with you about passionfruit - it is such a fragrant fruit

      Delete
  11. I am imagining the heat and looking out the window at the rain here and thinking, I'm probably in the right place ;) This looks like the way to manage hot weather though, and I'm glad you've embraced your high speed blender and orange juice smoothies to boot. It sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - it is now cold and wet - this summer seems either unbearably hot or unbelievably cold. Being able to add in the carrot really made me appreciate my high speed blender

      Delete
  12. Although I enjoy carrots plain, as a snack and in soups and stirfrys, I would never think to put it in a smoothie. But the citrus fruit would balance it out quite nicely. We are not experiencing the same weather, so I doubt I could track down apricots & passionfruit, but I've been loving the satsumas and it would go nicely with carrot.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)