Wednesday 17 April 2013

NCR Smoky spicy tomato soup

I have just about stopped using Google Reader.  It is very liberating.  (Though I apologise if it means I am missing your posts.)  I have now added a few extra blogs to my blogroll on my side bar, including Lisa's Vegan Culinary Crusade.  That is how I found the smoky spicy tomato soup I ate for dinner tonight. 

I wasn't feeling well and slept all afternoon.  When I finally got up it was dark, E had the heater on and Sylvia was ready for bed (there are advantages to having a husband home on sick leave).  Once we got Sylvia to bed, E turned on Margaret Thatcher's funeral.  (I highly recommend this reflection on her death.)

I had been thinking about this soup and it seemed a good simple supper.  I changed the ingredients slightly to suit my kitchen.  I made one mistake - after all I was a bit befuddled with just waking up - and added stock powder because I foolishly tasted the soup before adding the nutritional yeast flakes.  Nothing a bit of maple syrup and yoghurt couldn't fix.  I also served it with avocado on toast.  Seasoning aside, I loved the combination of flavours in this soup and how hearty it was with the besan and nutritional yeast flakes.

I am sending this soup to Jacqueline for No Croutons Required (a monthly vegetarian soup and salad event).  The theme this month is Indian spices.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Zucchini Layer Cake plus random thoughts
Two years ago:  Autumn Apple Cake
Three years ago: Butterscotch Bounty from Ricki
Four years ago: Tupperware, Arran and Tomato Soup
Five years ago: Relishing Rhubarb

Smoky, spicy tomato soup
serves 4
  • 1 tbsp olive oil 
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 tsp curry powder 
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • 2 x 400g tins of diced tomatoes
  • 3 cups water
  • 1/2 cup chickpea flour (besan)
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast 
  • 6 sun dried tomatoes, roughly chopped with scissors
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt (I used 2 tsp stock powder but will stick to the salt in future)
  • pinch black pepper
  • yoghurt to serve (optional) 
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan.  Fry onions for 5 - 10 minutes over medium high heat until soft (I did 5 but mine could have been softer).  Add mustard seeds and garlic and fry a few minutes more.  STir in curry powder and smoked paprika and then add remaining ingredients.  Gently simmer (with lid on if you don't want it splattering over your stovetop) for about 10 minutes.  Blend if desired (I didn't - it is creamy enough without blending).  Serve with yoghurt, if desired.

On the Stereo:
Ricochet Gathering, Mojave 2003: various artists

11 comments:

  1. I just got home from Lisa's place. She makes my world better than I could ever have imagined, so I've no doubt her soup was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - I am sure it is wonderful to spend time with lisa - glad to be able to have some of her soup at least even if I can't visit.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well. This soup sounds like just the thing to help. I managed to miss Margaret Thatcher's funeral coverage but perhaps Mr B recorded it - shall check tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - nothing that a good sleep can't fix. E missed some of the funeral and I missed a lot of it - but I did see some of the commentary with the best bit of trivia - apparently margaret thatcher was part of the team that created the Mr Whippy ice cream - she really did have it in for the kids :-)

      Delete
  3. This looks so awesome for this crazy weather we have been having in Sydney. Do you think I could participate? I want to get more into the veggie blog scene...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cass - it is definitely soup weather here - I think blog events are a great way to connect up with other like minded bloggers - hope you have a go - no croutons required is every month if you miss this month

      Delete
  4. This soup looks fantastic. Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well. I always feel so disoriented if I wake up after a day time sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I am much better thanks but was glad to made something simple in my befuddled state after waking up - day sleeps are disorienting

      Delete
  5. Hope you are feeling better now Johanna! The soup sounds really good and it looks nice and thick, I love the inclusion of besan. I'm yet to try besan in soup but it seems like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for entering your soup into this month's No Croutons Required Johanna. I like that you've added nutritional yeast. I have been making cheese sauce with it for Graham, but need more ideas.

    Oh and the Indian Spices roundup is up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made this tonight and loved it! Esp with the besan flour :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)