Tuesday 15 January 2013

No knead honey and oat bread II

I was having a mostly good day but now I am not so sure.  I almost didn't post this recipe after deleting it with quite a lot written.  I just can't understand why Google makes it so easy to delete a whole post!  However it was such a lovely bread that I wanted to write it up.  After all, my notes are needed for when I make this again.

The bread comes from The Kitchen Maid.  Lucy called it easy honey bread.  I was surprised that it has so little honey.  So when I added some oats, I thought I could call it No Knead Honey and Oat Bread.  The name is a bit misleading because neither features strongly.  The bread is far lighter than the No Knead Oat and Honey Bread that I made last year.

This was the bread that we used to scoop up the Baked Brie with Cranberry Sauce and Walnuts.  It was beautifully soft and light.  We enjoyed it over a few days for breakfast, in sandwiches and with a curry that I found in the freezer.  I loved it with peanut butter.  Sylvia loved it with vegemite.  E loved it toasted with butter. A winner with all of us.

I am sending this bread to Susan at YeastSpotting, the weekly round up of yeasty recipes across the blogosphere.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Nectarine bounty - salsa and pizza
Two years ago:  CC Nigella's Sugar Roasted Peaches
Three years ago: Gado Gado with Marmalade
Four years ago: NCR How My Chowder Fed the Dalek!
Five years ago: Wendy’s Apple Green Tea

No Knead Honey and Oat Bread
Adapted from The Kitchen Maid

For the sponge:
120g bread flour
1/2 tsp dried yeast
1 tsp honey
150ml warm water

Remaining ingredients:
300g bread flour
50g rolled oats
1 tsp salt
1 tsp yeast
250ml warm water
3 Tbsp olive oil

To make the sponge, mix ingredients in a large bowl, cover in clingwrap and leave to rise overnight or at least 8 hours (I did 9 hours).  It will be bubbling and slightly risen.

Add remaining ingredients and mix well. 

Cover and leave to rise for about 2 hours (I did 3 hours) or until tripled in size.  It will still be quite sticky and goopy.

Transfer to a greased and floured tray or bread tin (I used a bread tin).  The mixture will look very big in the bowl but deflate quite a bit when transferred. 

Leave to rise uncovered for 75 minutes (I left mine for 1 .5 hours).  Flour top and arrange to be evenly distributed.  Meanwhile, preheat oven to 230 C.

Bake until for 15-20 minutes until pale golden brown.  (Mine took about 40 minutes.)  I did the tapping the bread trick and was not quite sure it was done because it was so soft but once I cut it open it was done.  Cool on a wire rack and keep for about 2-3 days.


On the stereo:
The Rough Guide to Scottish Folk: Various Artists

18 comments:

  1. Oooh la... that looks really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're reminding me that I haven't made bread in ages! Looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine - not the day for it today :-)

      Delete
  3. That looks lovely! I think yours took longer to cook because it was in a loaf tin - when it's freeform it's more like a ciabatta. And I know there's not heaps of honey in it, but I used quite a strongly flavoured manuka honey so it smelled incredibly honeyed. Make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy - that makes sense with the manuka honey - we had that for a while and don't know why we stopped buy it. I really blame our oven for the bread taking so long to bake - it always takes forever compared to any recipe but you are probably right about the form too

      Delete
  4. Summer means cooking on the bbq for us here on Serendipity Farm in Northern Tas...we installed a huge 4 burner wood stove for the 9 months of the year when its cool enough to use it but we decided against another oven and cook in the covered bbq over summer. I found some enormous old ex baker bread tins going cheap at the local tip shop because someone foolishly threw them out (had been used to hold nails and screws in someones shed...) and picked them up for $2. After rigorous cleaning they are amazing and I bake 3 loaves of bread at a time on the bbq. I haven't done much bread baking of late but I am going to crack out 3 pans and donate a bit of time to this recipe. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks fran - am amazed that you bake bread in your bbq - now I really need a bbq - and to find some old bread tins - it is hard to get solid old fashioned baking tins these days among all the non-stick stuff.

      Delete
  5. This bread sounds good - I like light bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - it is worth a try when the weather is kinder to us

      Delete
  6. How frustrating about your post - ugh.

    Thank you for writing it up again because this looks like bread I could fall in love with. It does look light and fluffy and sounds like a beautiful alternative to the version you made last year. I suspect it's the sort of bread one could eat lots of in a very short period of time - that yours lasted a few days seems impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - this version went down better than the one I made last year - and I could have sat down and eaten the whole loaf at once or so it felt when it was out of the oven but then there would be none left for breakfast :-)

      Delete
  7. This is such a pretty loaf! I'm definitely glad you posted it because I plan on making it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - it would be a lovely bread while you are having cold weather

      Delete
  8. Johanna, this looks glorious! I have been contemplating some oat bread recently - happily you read my mind by sharing this lovely recipe! :-)
    Thank you for noticing my retro Pyrex bowl, too!! :- I'm glad I am not the only one who still treasures such things... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Astra - I love oats in baking - have been just throwing some into quite a few baking recipes recently. And I love your retro pyrex collection - so funky

      Delete
  9. Oh that is so annoying about it going missing! But I'm glad that you shared it with us because it looks like a lovely loaf! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I have seen a few people whose blogs have gone missing recently so maybe I should be grateful it is just a post but I really wish for a crytal ball so I know when it going to happen

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)