Tuesday 27 September 2011

WHB Raspberry Yoghurt Cake

I opened the fridge last week.  It was so jam-packed with food that an awkwardly balanced carton of eggs fell out and started leaking.  I rescued the broken egg, put it aside with a tub of yoghurt that was a day beyond the due date and brought out some raspberries that had been in the freezer forever.  They all came together into a rather good raspberry yoghurt cake.

At the end of a week with a sick toddler, I was after something quick and easy.  The recipe in my notebook (before I started recording sources for blogging) was for a Raspberry Yoghurt Crumble Cake.  I didn't fancy the idea of making a disc of crumble that needed to firm up in the fridge.  I ditched it and made a Raspberry Yoghurt Cake.  It came together quickly in the evening before I collapsed on the couch. 

E was waiting for a piece of cake with his cuppa before we watched our next episode from the box set of The Killing.  He needed some patience.  I checked the cake.  It needed a bit more time.  I turned it out onto a wire rack.  Sooner than I should have, I cut us a slice out.  It was so soggy in the middle, I put the cake back in the tin and into the oven for a further 15 minutes.  It was still rather soft.  I had followed the recipe fairly closely, only reducing the sugar slightly and leaving out the crumble.  It made me wonder if the oven should have been 180 C rather than 170 C. If only I had the time to experiment.

When E finally had his piece of cake he thought it had rather a lot of fruit in it.  I agreed.  From him it was a criticism.  From me it was praise.  Sylvia was in bed and didn't taste it until the next day.  She loved it.  We may have even had a piece for breakfast.  Fruit, yoghurt and almonds are a perfect way to start the day!

I am sending this cake to Winnie of Healthy Green Kitchen for Weekend Herb Blogging #303, the event coordinated by Haalo and founded by Kalyn.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: Rice Noodles with Orange
This time two years ago: Champion Crackers and Footy Food

Raspberry Yoghurt Cake
source unrecorded

1 1/2 cups self raising flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (2/3 cup in original recipe)
1/4 cup almond meal
100g butter
1 cup thick plain yoghurt
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
icing sugar to dust, optional

Preheat oven to 170 C.  Grease and line a 20cm round cake tin.

Combine SR flour, brown sugar and almond meal in a large bowl.  Melt butter in a small bowl (I did this in the microwave but you could do it on the stovetop).  Gradually mix in the yoghurt and then eggs until thick and creamy.  Tip the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix until almost combined.  Fold in the raspberries but don't overmix or they will dissolve and bleed all over the cake.

Spoon mixture into prepared tin and smooth with the back of a spoon.  Bake 55-60 minutes (I let mine bake an additional 15 minutes and it was still a bit soft).  Sit in tin 5-10 minutes and then turn out and cool on a wire rack.  Dust with icing sugar (if desired) and eat warm or at room temperature.  Keeps in air tight container for 3-4 days.

On the Stereo:
The Wonderful World of Nursery Rhymes: Vera Lynn and Kenneth McKellar.

16 comments:

  1. Looks delicious- I love raspberries and yogurt so I know I'd love this cake! Thanks for submitting to WHB...I'll have the round up complete next Monday night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake looks so moist and crumbly! Love anything with raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely - and serendipitously lovely. I've just bought a big bag of frozen raspberries and have some elderly yoghurt! Life is all about timing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two great minds think alike - I made raspberry yoghurt muffins last night. This cake looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, that sounds delicious! I'm a sucker for raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooooooooooh - I think I am in love with your mind!!!! I wish I could take an assortment of goodies from the fridge and whip them into a cake like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks wonderful-I love yoghurt cake! Never made one myself though. About time I think. Do you think I could substitute the butter for olive oil or cold pressed coconut oil/butter?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very impressive outcome for something done at short notice, without time to pre-experiment! I'm also ith you on the advantages of fruit in cakes - especially raspberries. And I'm a little glad that I'm not the only one to take things from the oven and then have to put them back in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how fortunate to have it all come together like that! You were meant to make this I think! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Winnie - look forward to the round up

    thanks chopin and my saucepan - it was more moist than crumbly but v delish

    thanks Amanda - yes timing is crucial - good luck with your rapsberries and yoghurt (make the cake!)

    Thanks Cakelaw - loved the look of your muffins - we are definitely on the same wavelength!

    Thanks Megan - I feel the same way about raspberries

    Thanks Chele - I just wish eggs wouldn't jump from the fridge and break and that yoghurt wouldn't pass its useby date - but am glad there are ways to deal with it

    Thanks Lisa - so do i

    Thanks Martta - cakelaw has commented that she has made raspberry and yoghurt muffins - her ones have oil in them so I am sure oil would work - though I don't know about coconut butter - I am less of a fan of the stuff but if you like the taste it wouldn't hurt to try

    Thanks Kari - I thought I would stop returning cakes t the oven when I got my new oven but seems it is not just all about the oven - I think fruit in cakes can make them quite moist so maybe the raspberries were partly to blame - but love them anyway

    Thanks Lorraine - definitely fate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love when recipes come together that way to use up ingredients that are "on the edge." And this sounds like such a perfect way to do it! Sorry to hear that Sylvia wasn't feeling well. But your praise/criticism comment about how each of you perceived the fruit made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks wonderful Johanna. I am very sad at the passing of berry season and may well have to turn to frozen berries for a hit. Hope Sylvia is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Think I'd have been with you on this one - it sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds lovely - and a great use of ingredients that might have been unloved otherwise.

    I love a cake that comes together quickly and tastes fabulous, what's not to like!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great use of old yogurt and I love the simplicity of this cake! Though I'm more like E where I prefer less fruit, but my husband would be more like you and enjoy the fruit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)