Saturday 17 September 2011

Seven Links Meme

A while back I was tagged by the lovely Kath of My Funny Little Life to participate in the 7 Links Meme that has been travelling around the blogosphere like wildfire.  I have really enjoyed reading others' 7 links and am pleased to have joined the conversation.

I have posted links to seven of my posts using the categories below but I don't have the energy right now to pass it on - though please take up the baton if you are so inclined.  You can also read the rules for more information.  I laughed at the advice not to overthink it.  I have 891 posts to think back through and I initially drew a blank at quite a few categories.  But I always have fun with memes and this is no exception.

It also seems an opportune moment to thank Kath for sending me a packet of dried wild garlic.  She kindly put it in the post for me when I expressed interest in a comment.  I confess I haven't opened it yet as it seems quite precious.  I am saving it up for the right occasion so stay tuned.  FYI, when I received the packet, it had been opened by Australian Customs and they had inserted the orange leaflet in to say that they had opened it and decided it was ok to enter the country.  I think they were happy that it was all packaged up neatly.  They are alert but not alarmed!

1. Your most beautiful post:

Hot Cross Buns.  This was the hardest of the seven categories.  I wanted to avoid just choosing a recent posts that I thought were beautiful (like the one I wrote on 9/11).  I wanted to avoid just seeking beautiful photos (like these photos).  I wanted to pick something that had stood the test of time.

I considered quite a few before I found one that sang out to me for many reasons.  There is something about yeasted baking that delights me with the kneading, soft rising dough and thick crust.  Yes, the photos could have been more beautiful (hence a recent hot cross bun photo) but they were good photos to post in the first year of blogging.  More importantly, the post has beauty in the way it addresses important issues, describes the feeling of a special day and brings my past to life. 

2. Your most popular post

Airplane cake.  Another tough choice.  I did wonder if this meant most imitated, most commented, most requested by family or most hits.  I went for the last one.  The airplane cake constantly gets a high volume of hits. Fair enough.  It was a good post with fun photos and a good template for making the cake.

3. Your most controversial post

Do I dare to cook with one less pear? I generally avoid controversy on my blog.  It is not what I am here for.  One issue that I have written about a few times, which is controversial in the food blogging community, is whether to write the recipes in full or not on food blogs.  This post addressed that issue (rather than stirred up the issue).

4. Your most helpful post

A Neb at Nut Roast Announcement 2008.  One of my passions on this site is nut roasts.  This post gives a lot of information on nut roasts and lots of links to nut roast recipes on both my blog and other blogs.  I wrote it partly because it was so hard to find information on nut roasts online so I hope it helps others who are interested.

5. A post whose success surprised you

Mars Bar Slice.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.  Chocolate, caramel, more chocolate and butter.  What's not to love!  Yet, I would never have predicted that this would become one of my most popular posts.

6. A post you feel didn’t get the attention it deserved

Hummus.  This was another difficult choice.  From the beginning of my blog I have been lucky to have people commenting, visiting and making my recipes.  I can't complain.  So I chose my Hummus post which didn't get the attention it deserved through no one's fault but my own.  It was merely my eighth post.  A favourite dip deserved better photos, better prose and more attention generally.  Maybe one day I will return to give it the attention it deserved.  (I couldn't bear to re-post the photos here so the picture is from my pumpkin hummus post.) 

7. The post that you are most proud of

Why does food history matter?  I spent a long time writing this post.  I collected photos, quotes, and links. This post was too important to write quickly.  I let it simmer gently over time, checked the taste and added seasonings as required.  The final result was a carefully thought out articulation of my feelings about food history, lists of useful information and some of my own food history.  If only I had the time and energy to put into every post!

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Johanna, for doing this! And taks yourself all the time to try the wild garlic! :)

    I just opened your food history post again. :) I already loved it when I read it for the first time, I think this is the most beautiful post on food I've read so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your 7 links! Great round up of your blogging history to date. And I couldn't help but smile at the note from Australian Customs, my first year in the UK they not only opened the Christmas Parcel I sent home but also unwrapped all of the presents because I had unwittingly included a bath bomb in one. They then dumped it all back in the box and sent it on to my Mum to re wrap before playing Santa for me!!!! I include a nice note to them in all my parcels home now ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choices, Johanna. I can't believe how many posts you have here--it must have been incredibly difficult to choose just seven! Your food history post is, indeed, something to be proud of. And I remember reading that hot cross bun post--beautiful indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved looking over these - and agree whole heartedly on the issue of posting recipes, or not. Foods can be combined in so many different ways, it seems silly to try and copyright one particular combination, although of course giving credit and linking to the original source is only right.

    I liked your hummus one too, and am glad it got a chance to be shared to the world today :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list Johanna I remember many of these well and have discovered some new ones too! I really like your post about your life in dishes and it inspired me to do my own! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kath - you are too kind - enjoyed the challenge and am thinking about how to use the wild garlic

    Thanks Chele - hilarious story - we have had a few parcels arrive in Australia with opened presents - though my worst experience was a little sentimental knick knack that E put in our boxes when we moved to Australia - customs took it out of the boxes and it was expensive either to get it past customs or send it home so it had to be destroyed :-(

    Thanks ricki - very kind of you - it was hard choosing - and it made me wonder how many I can actually remember!

    Thanks Kari - posting recipes is a thorny issue - I understand why some cookbook authors don't want them posted and there are issues about linking but I do love seeing all the variations in recipes around the blogosphere

    Thanks Lorraine - loved your post on life in dishes - glad to share a few old posts too

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great opportunity to look back over past posts and reflect a bit. Over 800 posts is some going. I think your hummus picture looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great round up of your posts - I don't envy you having to choose though - you have so many posts to choose from! I like the reasons you've chosen them though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great collection of some of your posts. :) I love your airplane cake and all the fun cakes you do. I'm not so brave!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)