Tuesday 29 March 2011

CC Healthy Choc Chip Cookies

Six hours after my new oven was installed I was taking a tray of freshly baked choc chip cookies from the oven. My old oven has always been a bit slow to cook anything. This new one is fan forced so I was quite impatient to try it out.

The renovations hadn't finished so Sylvia and I made them on the floor. We both loved the novelty of a light in the new oven. She had fun turning the light on and off and on and off and so on. The cookies cooked quickly and tasted wonderful. Everyone in the house loves them. Sylvia told me "I love chocolate". Well, who doesn't (except Nicki G!).

I found the recipe in a favourite cookbook: In search of the perfect chocolate chip cookie by Gwen Steege. I highly recommend it to any choc chip cookie aficionado. Who would have thought that there were so many recipes for the humble choc chip cookie! They are from contestants from around the USA who entered a national competition to find the best recipe.

The book starts with the story of how choc chip cookies were invented by Ruth Wakefield of the Toll House Inn in Massachusetts, USA. If you want to read about the history of the choc chip cookie, you could also visit Louise's post on Choc Chip Cookie Week (starting 13 March).

The latest Cookbook Challenge theme is American (ahem, I am slightly behind with this theme). I have given some thought to what is an American recipe but when I decided to make choc chip cookies, it seemed obvious. The dust jacket of the Gwen Steege book actually calls them " a uniquely American passion".

I find that the book's recipes make heaps so I often put a bag of them in the freezer. They are great thawed in the microwave. On this occasion I halved the recipe and made a few small changes - no nuts, less sugar, more choc chips. D. Michael Pitalo, who sent in the recipe, describes these cookies or biscuits as hard and crisp. Bearing this in mind, it is best to only cook them until just brown rather than a pleasing golden brown. This might be said of most choc chip cookies.

The cookies are best warm from the oven. Sylvia has learnt this lesson young and I had to shoo her away to stop her burning her little fingers on hot melting choc chips. After a short wait, we sampled and were very happy indeed. I love my new oven.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: Index of Favourites
This time three years ago: Easter Nut Roast

Granola Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from The search for the perfect chocolate chip cookie, p 104
makes about 3 dozen cookies
  • 125g softened butter
  • 3/4 cup castor sugar
  • 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup plain flour (I used half wholemeal and half white)
  • 1 tsp bicarb soda (baking soda)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup corn flakes
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 cup dark choc chips
Cream butter and sugars (I did this by hand). Stir in vanilla and egg until well mixed. Gradually mix in flour, bicarb, baking powder, salt, oats, flakes, coconut and choc chips. The mixture will be quite stiff but I didn't mix with my hands as the recipe suggested.

Drop spoonfuls onto a greased or lined baking tray (I have silicone mats) and shape a little with your hands to flatten slightly. Bake at 180 C (or 160 C in fan forced oven) for 10-15 minutes - I think 12 minutes would have been about right.

Cool on baking tray a few minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. We have kept most of ours in the freezer and microwaved when we want one as I don't think they would last well many days.

On the Stereo:
Workers Playtime: Billy Bragg

14 comments:

  1. Oh Johanna, please make these for me! I have a really busy few days ahead of me and would love cookies to get me through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are making good use of your new oven. The cookies look yummy. I love their rugged shape. I'm also amazed at the amount and variety of chocolate chip cookies recipes. I have yet to find my 'ultimate' cookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wondeful way to christen the new oven :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks lovely, and I especially love the little hands in the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been years I have been searching for the perfect choco-chips cookies! The addition of corn flakes & coconut in this recipe sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My oven broke last year and it was a total epic disaster. I was so happy when it was fixed, I think I baked like five loaves of bread in five days. Chocolate chip cookies would have been a great idea as well...these look fantastic and I LOVE that they are healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't think of a better treat to christen your new oven with; Chocolate Chip Cookies!!! Just perfect:) I love that they have corn flakes in them. What a novel idea.

    I can just "see" you and Sylvia having a ball in your new kitchen with your spanking brand new stove. A stove to create memories that will last a lifetime.

    Thank you so much for sharing, Johanna. This post made my day:)

    P.S. Thanks for the linky. You're sweet:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Choc chip cookies are a favourite in our house too! I can just imagine how good your kitchen smelt when they were baking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Healthy cookies? O.O I don't think so

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy that new oven...and light switch!
    Burnt toddler fingers are terrible. I turn into the oven dragon if there is even the hint of chubby fingers poking in the hot direction.
    I had a reader from the US tell me about toll house cookies recently, I had no idea the humble choc chip biscuit started as such.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww she's going to be such a great kitchen helper I can just tell already! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Hannah - would love to cook you a batch of cookies to help you get through your busy days - sending some good wishes instead

    Thanks Katie - rugged is a nice way to describe them - I feel like there is no ultimate choc chip cookies - just lots of great ones for different days

    Thanks Lisa - I felt something I knew well would be a good way to ease myself in but then I had to find another choc chip cookie recipe!

    Thanks Rivki - little hands can't resist choc chip cookies

    Thanks Vanessa - I love the cornflakes and coconut but it is not the light buttery cookie that I used to

    Thanks Joanne - I understand - I am glad to have made these bikkies because I just feel frustrated not to have had more time and energy to bake since the oven was restored to us

    Thanks Louise - the cornflakes did take my fancy - I have favourite childhood biscuits - afghans - which had cornflakes so it seemed a little nostalgic

    Thanks Gourmet Getaway - choc chip cookies please everyone in our house - which is not always easy

    Thanks Anon (I think) - I am sure you understand that healthy is really just comparative in this case

    Thanks Cityhippyfarmgirl - we have lots of discussions of the oven being hot and keeping away from it - though I still need to work on this discussion - but little fingers love switches and knobs!

    Thanks Lorraine - oh she loves to be a little helper - "help" is a favourite word of hers ("oo help me mummy"!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chocolate chip cookies are essential! My oven is very particular when it comes to baked goods, so I'm very excited to see if this recipe will be acceptable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy to hear you love your new oven. :) These cookies sound like the perfect first thing to bake. I love cookies that combine oats, coconut and chocolate chips. The cornflakes sound fun too though I imagine they don't stay crisp when they bake.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)