Wednesday 4 August 2010

Honey, Yoghurt and Chocolate Cake

When my colleague Erin brought this Honey Yoghurt and Chocolate Cake into work for morning tea it was so good that I had to get the recipe from her. It is an elegant cake, soft with a tantalising honey aroma and a genteel scattering of choc chips. It is simple and yet it seems like a cake for entertaining rather than an everyday cake.

When we arranged to see our friends Yav and Chris and their new wee baby Florence on the weekend, I decided to make the cake to take for afternoon tea. It was an instant hit. Everyone loved it. Even Sylvia dug her fingers into my piece as much as she could get away with. Though she was more interested in playing in Florence’s rocker and climbing the staircase. I am sure it wont be long before Florence is eating such cakes.

The reason the cake is so popular is that is full of butter and sugar. Normally this is not enough for me but it has just enough chocolate and the added flavour of honey. E loved it just because it is so buttery. Finding a cake we both love is always a great discovery.

If you wanted to be really fancy you could scatter finely-sliced vanilla beans and drizzle chocolate over it. That was how it was made when Erin first spotted it on Better Homes and Gardens but I agree with her that this cake is so good that neither of these additions are necessary.

I know that Erin has already made it a few times. She has just gone on maternity leave so I imagine she will appreciate a good cake recipe for entertaining soon enough. I will definitely be adding it to my list of cakes to make again and again, though I might halve the recipe. E has already requested it to go on regular rotation. I highly recommend you add it to your repertoire also!

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe
This time last year: GYO Paradise banishes the Chutney Fear
This time three years ago: Rumi: Middle Eastern Delight

Honey, Yoghurt and Chocolate Cake
From Better Homes and Gardens
  • 280 grams of butter
  • 140 grams of honey
  • 110 grams of raw sugar
  • 170 grams of natural yoghurt
  • 2 eggs
  • 130 grams of plain flour
  • 130 grams of self raising flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 150 grams of dark choc chips
Preheat oven to 180 C and grease and line a 24 cm cake tin (I used a 25 cm cake tin which worked well).

Melt butter in the microwave in a large ovenproof bowl (or in a large saucepan if you prefer) and whisk in honey, sugar and yoghurt. In a separate small bowl gently whisk eggs till creamy. Whisk into butter mixture. Fold flours and choc chips into butter mixture.

Spoon batter (which will be very soft but not runny) into prepared cake tin. Bake for 50 minutes. It will be ready when the cake pulls away from the sides of the tin and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out cleanly.

Cool on a wire rack. The recipe suggests serving it drizzled with melted chocolate and accompanied by a dollop of whipped cream. But it was good enough to eat just as it was.

On the stereo:
John Denver’s Greatest Hits

17 comments:

  1. This looks a lovely cake to snack on. I bet the yoghurt and honey made it super moist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johanna, this cake speaks my name! I will make it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's something about "chocolate chip" things that always draws me in. Chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip cake, chocolate chip scones.... mmm. This cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Johanna - another delightful creation!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a simple-yet-scrumptious cake like that! But heavens, that is a fair whack of butter, isn't it? Impressive :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this sounds glorious! Honey adds such a nice flavor to baked goods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm you know when you've made a good cake when people ask you for the recipe! :) And finely sliced vanilla beans as decorations sounds very unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is most definitely going to be included in my repertoire - looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks katie - it is one of the moistest cakes I have had for ages

    Thanks Anh - you wont regret it!

    Thanks Ashley - choc chips are truly amazing aren't they!

    Thanks Lisa

    Thanks Hannah - I did a double take when I realised how much butter was in it but then I justified it by telling myself it was double a 20cm round cake so it wasn't so bad (except if it is devoured embarrassingly quickly)

    Thanks Joanne - I am coming to think that honey and chocolate are great soul mates

    Thanks Lorraine - I discussed the finely sliced vanilla beans with Erin and we agreed they were unnecessary for flavour so I guess they are to make it look pretty - ditto the chocolate drizzle

    Thanks Choclette - am sure you will love it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here is another honey cake recipe you can try sometime:
    http://nami-nami.blogspot.com/2007/10/waiter-there-is-something-in-my-meekook.html

    I also have a recipe in my old copy of "Woman's Day Cookbook" by Margaret Fulton (5th reprint published in 1979). Your mother might have a copy of this book. If not, I can send you a scan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yumm looking nut roast

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Pene - I love honey but it seems that it is with chocolate that I particularly love it in baking - my dad is very keen on honey log which seems like Pille's cake but I am not so keen on it - don't understand why but there it is!

    Thanks Jess - maybe you mean the nut roast I posted on the adjoining post - if so glad you liked it

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds wonderful! I love the look of the scattered chips throughout. And no wonder it's a hit--who ever turned away from lots of sugar and butter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. best cake! I have made this a lot and love it :) Thanks Johanna.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I first baked this from a receipe I found in the Sunday Life
    section of the weekend paper a few years back and I'm so
    glad to find it available online.
    Tip: The original receipe suggests using couverture chocolate for best results.
    I have also found that the mixture also works really well in a friand
    tray as individual cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks!. Bakin now. I ate too much batter and red wine. On the stereo - ry cooder - chicken skin revue

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks anon - sounds like you had a fun tin baking - hope you enjoy the cake

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)