Monday 17 May 2010

The case of the disappearing tart

On 14 July 2008, Helen of Food Stories posted a very tempting Rainbow Chard and Parmesan Tart (with a Carrot and Oat Crust). I am always in search of a good tart with an easy crust that is on the healthy end of the tart spectrum. Last month I stumbled across the post that I had saved on my blog reader and made my own version with spinach, corn and spring onions (being the offerings of my fridge) rather than brown onions and chard. Then I decided to check the recipe on Helen’s blog.

Imagine my bemusement upon discovering that the tart had disappeared from her blog. It was inconceivable! I had seen it there! It was on my blog reader! But nowhere to be found on Food Stories.

Fortunately I decided to delay contacting Helen about this because I was too busy. When I checked the url again today before posting, I found that the recipe is now returned to its rightful place or maybe I was just looking in the wrong place all along. It’s a mystery!

When I have more time I will share more mysteries with you – grizzling babies, a lost wallet, and nutritional yeast flakes. But today I merely have time to share this recipe, which is most excellent. E couldn’t praise it enough. Even Sylvia had some.

The crust is soft but wholesome and satisfying. Helen made it when she was experimenting with healthier tarts. The filling is really just a matter of some egg, milk, cheese and what vegetables are on hand. I especially recommend the tart to those who like me are lucky enough to have a grandmother who makes wonderful tomato chutney and sends some your way. We ate it with aforementioned tomato chutney and a simple tomato and baby spinach salad. A great dinner and wonderful leftovers.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: Polenta cups and Seasonal salad
This time two years ago: A crumble that needs company
This time three years ago: Under the Doona Comforts of Crumble

Cheesy Spinach Tart (with a Carrot and Oat Crust)
Adapted from Food Stories (who adapted crust from Bounteous Bites).
Serves 4

Crust:
100g rolled oats
100g wholemeal flour
100g grated carrots
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
100g butter at room temperature

Filling:
½ bunch (150g) spinach
3-4 spring onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
kernels of 2 cobs of corn
2 eggs, beaten
¼ cup milk
40g Parmesan cheese, or to taste
60g cheddar cheese
salt and pepper, to taste (I didn’t use at all)
parsley, finely chopped (I didn’t have this but would use it next time)

Mix the carrots, oats, flour, baking powder and salt. Rub in the butter until the dry ingredients are incorporated and the mixture comes together into a dough. Press into 24cm flan dish. Helen says to chill but I didn’t. Bake for 15-20 minutes (I did 20) at 200 C.

Lightly whisk the eggs and milk together with parsley. Set aside

Heat oil in a large frypan and fry the spring onions, garlic and corn kernels for 2-3 minutes. Stir in spinach and fry till wilted. Season.

Layer the vegetables, cheese and egg/milk mixture in the tart crust (or I think I would prefer the cheese, then vegetables then egg/milk mixture but E disagreed with me on this).

Bake for 20 minutes at 180 C and then for 10 minutes at 220 C or until the top is golden brown. Sit for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving with a simple salad.

On the Stereo:
Fold your hands child, you walk like a peasant: Belle and Sebastian

9 comments:

  1. Sigh, I need lunch!
    This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That seriously looks so good! I love the addition of oats in the crust....its genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm, that does look good. A very satisfying meal indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fantastic! A healthy crust is hard to find too-they're usually so buttery (which makes them so good hehe).

    ReplyDelete
  5. We aren't much of a tart family in my house, what with the wheat and dairy allergies, but this does remind me that I once made a green curry tart with a rice crust. It sounded better than it tasted, at least with my lack of crust making skills.

    I'm a sucker for oats in any form, though, and could actually see this working for my family with just a few modifications...

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow what an unusal and delicious sounding crust.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks lovely, I am all for any recipes that help make a dent in the never diminishing pile from the food co-op!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the look of this tart! I had saved the recipe from Helen's site a couple of years ago and then forgot about it! I think she's posted some other interesting healthy crusts too that I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No wonder E couldn't praise this enough--it sounds fantastic. I love that the crust has carrots in it! And funny how it disappeared and reappeared--blog hosts can be mysterious that way ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)