Tuesday 8 December 2009

Leftovers pasta bake

It doesn't take long to build up scraps and pieces in the kitchen that need using. We have tried not to let the kitchen get too full of food that we wont have time to use while we are staying in the Edinburgh apartment. Last week I made a pasta bake out of leftovers and quirky purchases.

It was fairly easy though I could only find a big salad bowl to mix it in. It was more rich and creamy than necessary but very tasty. I would probably not make it exactly like this again but if I did I would possibly use other vegetables than green beans - maybe mushrooms and broccoli.

There is not much more to tell you about the pasta bake. I could tell you lots about our holiday if only Sylvia would sleep. We are continuing to have a wonderful time. I am eating well, hardly cooking and enjoying seeing Sylvia playing with her cousins and grandparents. We have caught up with a few friends but not as many as we would like. But I thought I would show you some of the cards from the christening and otherwise to show how generous so many have been with us.

We have also received many presents but I wanted to point out one today. Sylvia's new green giraffe which was not only sent by Lysy of Munchkin Mail but also knitted by her. I am in awe at her 3D knitting skills. Isn't it gorgeous? A big thanks goes out to Lysy. The giraffe is being named Munchkin in her honour!

I must go as there are lots of things to do and Sylvia still is not sleeping. We only have a few days to go in Edinburgh but I still have lots of places to write up so stay tuned!

Leftovers pasta bake
Serves 4

  • 250g dried spaghetti
  • 1 cauliflower, trimmed and chopped
  • 200g dwarf beans, trimmed and chopped
  • 125g double cream
  • 250g bottled tomato pasta sauce
  • 140g pouch of vegetable and lentil baby food
  • 400g tin of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 150g grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 piece of bread grated into crumbs

Bring salted water to the boil and place spaghetti and cauliflower in it. Simmer for about 5 minutes and then add dwarf beans. Keep simmering for about 5 minutes or till spaghetti is cooked.

Meanwhile place cream, pasta sauce, baby food, black beans and 100g of cheese in a large bowl and mix. When spaghetti and vegetables are cooked, drain and mix with the sauce in the bowl.

Either set aside remaining cheese and breadcrumbs or stir into pasta mixture. Scrap pasta mixture into a large baking tray (I used a round 23cm baking dish with half the mixture over two nights). Bake for about 25 minutes at 180 C if you have a powerful oven like the one we are using at present.

On the Stereo:
Fourteen Autums and Fifteen Winters: Twilight Sad

5 comments:

  1. What a great site! Love the giraffe. Wish I could knit like that. I'll be back for more. My new morning routine is to read happy blogs like this to get my day going in the right direction.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I'm glad you (and Sylvia) liked it :) And what better food for chilly nights than pasta bake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that giraffe is just adorable! I'm in awe, too. And of that pasta bake--so rich sounding (though I might have to sub for the baby food) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jane - glad to help you start your day - look forward to you coming back :-)

    Thanks Lysy - little munchkin giraffe is so cute and the pasta bake is just what I needed after another nippy day

    Thanks Ricki - I only used baby food because I had it on hand - any puree veg would do or just leave it out - not that I expect anyone would follow this recipe precisely anyway - it is just not that sort of recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent use of all the leftovers you had!! I should do this more often. What an adorable green giraffe for Sylvia. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)