Saturday 17 October 2009

HoTM: Chocolate Sesame Cookies


No sooner do I think I have my blogging under control than I go off on a cooking frenzy and the backlog builds up again. So long as I am reading other food blogs, I can’t help but be inspired. However, some recipes take longer than others to be produced in my kitchen. Last week I finally made Cassie’s Chocolate Sesame Cookies from Vegan Meal Plans to take to a friend’s place. 


They were packed with some good foods such as molasses and tahini and seemed more healthy than my recent Maple Walnut Choc Chip Cookies. The recipe is also appropriate for those on a vegan or nutfree diet. I have often thought sesame seeds are a good alternative for those with nut allergies but I was surprised (and saddened) to hear recently from a friend that her son is not only allergic to nuts but also to sesame seeds. So these wont suit everyone.


Those who can eat them will love them. They have the richness of tahini rather than the lightness of butter and have an subtle but interesting mix of spices. Their texture is dense and chewy with a slightly crisp edge. Sylvia was grizzling when I made these so they had to be quick. I put her with me in the kitchen in her high chair and threw everything in the bowl and dropped spoonfuls on a baking sheet to put it in the oven. I have no better proof that they are easy peasy.

Black sesame seeds are still a novelty for me. I found them in a local Indian grocery. They always look spectacularly dark and pretty in a goth sort of way because of the contrast they bring to any meal. This was the first time I have used them in cookies and I found them pleasing in texture and presentation. In fact, they reminded me a little of dead ants on these cookies, in case you are looking for ghoulish ideas for Halloween.


Even if you can’t find black sesame seeds, it is worth trying these with white sesame seeds. They are deliciously easy and you can feel a little virtuous about eating cookies.

I am sending these cookies to Ilva and Michelle for Heart of the Matter, an event that focuses on healthy eating. This month the theme is Seeds and Things

More chocolate tahini treats from Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Chocolate and black tahini cut out biscuits (v)
Chocolate macaroons (gf) 
Chocolate tahini maca bliss balls (gf, v) 
Chocolate sesame sandwich cookies
Chocolate tahini cookies (v)

Chocolate Sesame Cookies
Adapted from Veggie Meal Plans
Makes about 24 cookies
  • cup (75g) plain flour
  • cup tightly packed (75g) brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon cornflour (corn starch)
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
  • teaspoon ground cumin
  • teaspoon salt
  • a small pinch of cayenne
  • 3 tablespoons tahini
  • 2 tablespoons soy milk
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon blackstrap molasses
  • 1 tablespoon golden syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 50g dark chocolate, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 190 C or 375 F. Grease or line baking trays. Mix all ingredients together. Drop teaspoonfuls on trays with a little room in between for spreading – about 1-2 inches. Use fingers to shape into round blobs if you want them to look uniform. It might even help to flatten them slightly. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool on trays for 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to cool.

On the Stereo:
New Gold Dream (81-82-83-84): Simple Minds

13 comments:

  1. What a diferent recipe! Well, I really like sesame seed, so I could like these cookies! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting combo! You know I don't think I've seen much chocolate sesame together! :o

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Talita - sesame seeds are a good addition to these cookies

    Thanks Lorraine - I think chocolate and sesame is an underappreciated combination - as proved by these cookies

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound spectacular! I see what you mean about dead ants, but I choose to ignore that comparison ;) And before you know it, Sylvia will be helping you bake instead of watching from the high chair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, will have to try these and report back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay cookies! I have black sesame seeds too! I was so excited when I found them!

    These cookies look deliciously different. Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look and sound utterly delicious. Like chocolate halva, but more chocolate, and dark. Next chocolate craving, these will have to get a making.
    Johanna, I made your apple and date cake today. Divine!! Thankyou for posting that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sounds really interesting. Great to meet you too, it's nice to finally have a face to go with the blog posts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the flavour of seasame but have never really baked with it. Will have to give these a go they sound fab.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw it the other day but was too busy to comment. I like this combo of flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Ricki - I once made banana cake that got covered in ants so maybe I am a little paranoid about black specks on my baking!

    Thanks Ms Alex - look forward to your report

    Thanks Meredith - they are

    thanks Vegetation - black sesame seeds always look amazing in any meal!

    Thanks Cathy - glad you enjoyed the cake - love the chocolate halva comparison - no wonder I loved them

    Thanks Kristy - yes, so nice to know the face behind the blog!

    Thanks Katie - I first baked with tahini many years ago and loved it - you wont look back

    Thanks Anh - glad you found time to comment - nice to hear from you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just beautiful.

    I know all about that backlog! Now that I'm using a film camera, there's a whole new element to backlog for me...

    Love the black sesame seeds here. Hope your weekend was gorgeos, guys. XX

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)